Diabetes mellitus, or diabetes, refers to the medical condition where the human body is afflicted with high blood sugar levels. This can happen either because the pancreas does not produce insulin or the cells do not react to the insulin that is produced. The good news is that this incurable disease can be easily managed and contained with the help of insulin and a diabetes specific diet.
To help control diabetes, it’s imperative to understand the kind of diet that’s perfect for diabetics. This diet should be able to maintain and control blood sugar levels. This is important for the health and wellbeing of a diabetic.
Diabetic Diet Meal Plan:
The Fundamental Elements of a Diabetes Meal Plan:
The primary goal of a good diabetic diet would be the intake of foods and beverages that manage and maintain blood sugar levels. Diabetics are immune to insulin produced by the pancreas that regulates blood sugar level. Hence they should only consume food that is low in sugar content. This will help them maintain their overall health and wellbeing.
Since certain foods are high on calories and sugar than others, a diabetic should be well informed of both types of food. This will help him or her know which kinds of food are safe for consumption and which are not. The diet plan drawn out below is mainly an example of healthy foods safe for consumption by a diabetic. The choice to add or subtract from this diet plan depends from person to person. However, an effective diabetic diet should include foods that are low in sugar content.
An ideal Diabetic Meal Plan or Diet for a Day:
It’s important for diabetics to avoid skipping breakfast at any cost. The ideal breakfast for a diabetic should be low on sugar content. It should sufficiently replenish energy reserves for the day ahead. Some of the best options are
- A cup of skimmed milk
- Green tea
- Cottage cheese
- A slice of whole wheat bread
- ½ of a small banana
- ½ a cup of oatmeal could also be a healthy addition.
Most often people tend to overeat during the midday meal or lunch. However, this is a tendency that a diabetic needs to curb. A diabetic’s afternoon meal should consist of nutritious food in small proportions with overall low sugar content.
- The ideal diabetic lunch can comprise of:
- 1 cup vegetable soup with 5 to 6 crackers
- A turkey sandwich made up of two slices of whole wheat bread, one ounce turkey, one ounce low fat cheese and a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- A small apple is a healthy finish to this meal.
Dinner is the last meal of the day. Hence it is equally important to have a healthy dinner. However, food intake at night is best kept light for diabetics and non-diabetics alike.
- The perfect diabetic dinner would consist of
- 4 ounces of broiled chicken breast slightly spiced
- 2/3 cup cooked brown rice
- or two to three whole wheat rotis
- A light vegetable soup.
Points to Remember:
The diabetic diet plan drawn out here is open to improvisation, keeping your specific requirements and tastes in mind. Diabetes can also cause abnormally low blood sugar levels and in that case, this diet could be of little or no help. Immediately consult your doctor if the situation arises.
Latest posts by Deepika Goenka (see all)
- 50 Stunning Twist Hairstyles For Short Hair - March 12, 2014
- Best Dove Skin Care Products – Our Top 10 Picks - February 20, 2014
- Best Pain Relieving Products – Our Top 10 Picks - February 15, 2014
- Best Nail Art Machines – Our Top 10 Picks - January 31, 2014
- Best O3 plus Skin Care Products – Our Top 10 Picks - January 30, 2014