Did you just get your tooth extracted? Do you wake up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain? If you are suffering from acute pain coupled with a foul odor emanating from your mouth, it is quite probable that you are a victim of a dry socket.
But then, don’t worry, as clove oil can actually cure your condition. Wondering how? Keep reading to know more.
Dry Socket – An Overview
Some dental problems and conditions can prove to be quite painful, and complications can develop that leave sufferers seeking quick relief. One such example is a dry socket. When you get a tooth pulled, particularly a molar, there is the risk of a dry socket forming. On an average, 5 percent of those who get their teeth extracted run into this situation. The good thing is that there are remedies available to treat this painful condition, including some natural ones.
How Does Dry Socket Form?
After one of your teeth is extracted, a blood clot develops at the base of the tooth or socket. Gradually, bone tissue and gum develop and fill the socket. The blood clot gets washed away naturally. When the blood clot gets dislodged prematurely, a dry socket sets in (1). The raw bone gets exposed and the result can be excruciating pain. This pain can spread up to the ear and jaw line as well. People suffering from it find it difficult to speak, sleep or do anything literally.
[ Read: Benefits Of Clove Oil ]
Ways To Treat Dry Socket
The most prudent thing you can do after feeling the symptoms of a dry socket after a tooth extraction is visiting your dentist. He may perform surgical procedures, prescribe painkillers and do the needful to offer relief from the pain. However, OTC medications may not be enough to alleviate the pain caused by dry socket. A lot of victims complain of getting no relief even after using strong OTC painkillers. You may complement the treatment by opting for natural remedies like clove oil (2).
Usually, a dentist will try to flush the socket so that the remaining debris is cleared. The dentist may also apply anesthetic agents to numb the pain and then pack the socket with medication-filled dressing. As it is, some dentists use dressing with clove oil so that the risk of bacterial contamination is minimized.
Why Opt For Clove Oil To Treat Dry Socket?
Known as a natural pain reliever, clove oil has been used since ancient times to treat diverse dental problems and pain alleviation. It has antiseptic and analgesic properties (3). The spice, often used as an ingredient to add flavor to various dishes, can help relieve pain caused by dry socket. The oil extracted from clove is strong in taste and flavor. It can kill the bacterial contamination inside the mouth and help reduce the pain caused by inflammation. Clove oil is available in a majority of health stores and you can also buy it online nowadays.
How To Use Clove Oil For Dry Socket Treatment?
When you realise you have a dry socket, keep the area covered by a medical gauze. If the pain aggravates, see your dentist. He can seal the hole so that the raw nerve does not get exposed to food or anything easily. You may talk with the dentist about the suitability of applying clove oil to alleviate the pain and aid the healing process.
As it is, the sealant does not remain for a long time in a socket. If it gets loosened or comes out, apply some clove oil directly on the socket. It may create a stinging sensation, though. You may choose to take a dropper to apply clove oil on the socket. Be careful not to apply too much oil as it may sting the gum or tongue.
You can also ask the dentist to seal with another medicated gauge after applying the oil. Of course, you can apply painkillers to keep the pain under tolerable levels, but refrain from self-medication. Use only those painkiller medications approved by a dentist for a steady recovery. You will also find some painkillers with clove oil as an ingredient. However, their usage will not bring the same results as you get after using pure clove oil.
Tips To Prevent Dry Socket
Dry socket can be an extremely painful condition and overnight recovery is not possible even when you apply clove oil. So, it is better that you learn the tips to keep it at bay.
- After tooth extraction, do not discard the medicated gauge soon. This can actually destroy the blood clot and enhance the risk of a dry socket (4).
- It is also very important to keep the inside of your mouth as clean as possible post a tooth extraction. It is natural that you will not be able to chew hard foods and the dentist may advise you to take only liquids, soups for a few days.
- You may use a medicated mouthwash to keep the cavity free of bacterial contamination as well. Brushing the teeth is not possible and you may rinse slowly for safety. You may also mix a few drops of clove oil in warm water and use it as a natural antibacterial rinse to cleanse the socket and mouth.
- You may also carefully massage the gum with cotton dipped in clove oil to eliminate bacteria and reduce any inflammation.
- It makes sense that you opt for an overall dental cleansing before getting a tooth plucked to reduce the risk of a dry socket setting in. The dentist will clean up tartar so that the risk of any debris getting into the socket after tooth extraction is reduced.
Precautions While Using Clove Oil For Dry Socket Relief
While the efficacy of clove oil in alleviating dental pain and healing inflammation is not questioned, you should proceed with caution when applying it to heal a dry socket.
- Since clove essential oil has a strong flavor and taste, you may find it unsuitable for direct application inside the mouth. Some people feel a burning and stinging sensation after applying undiluted pure clove oil on the gums. Dilute it with a carrier oil and dip the cotton ball in the mixture for application on the socket.
- While clove oil offers quick relief from dental pain, you should have realistic expectations. Sometimes, you may also need to use OTC painkillers along with clove oil application on the gums. Healing may takclove oil dry sockete a week or more. Those suffering from diabetes may even take longer to heal from the condition.
- If you are allergic to essential oils, some side effects like local rashes may develop after applying clove oil. In such instances, you may have to stop using the oil. However, such allergies are quite rare.
- Clove oil has a compound called eugenol, which is known to interfere with the natural blood clotting process in the human body (5). So, when you are recuperating from a dry socket and an operation is scheduled shortly, it is prudent that you try other natural remedies for pain reduction and healing.
You do not have to writhe with pain and discomfort post a tooth extraction. With clove oil, you can bid adieu to all dental problems! Try it today!
Also, tell us how this post has helped you. Do comment in the box given below.
- Can Pineapple Juice Treat Wisdom Teeth Pain?
- Try These 6 Amazing Home Remedies To Strengthen Loose & Shaky Teeth In No Time!
- How A Root Canal Can Actually Affect Your Overall Health
Latest posts by Daiwik (see all)
- Why Should You Use Fractionated Coconut Oil? - September 4, 2015
- 5 Astonishing Ways Davana Essential Oil Can Benefit You - September 4, 2015
- 8 Really Effective Stretches For Runners That You Should Be Doing - September 1, 2015
- 8 Awesome Health Benefits Of Phosphorus - August 31, 2015
- The Powerful Japa Meditation – What Is It And Its Benefits - August 19, 2015