Do you suffer from eczema? Are you looking for an effective natural remedy to help treat it? Then give coconut oil a try! It is considered to be one of the best natural remedies to treat this otherwise serious skin condition. When you suffer from eczema, the skin gets dry, itchy and inflamed. It reoccurs and causes a lot of discomfort, and it can get so severe that open wounds develop on the skin. This skin condition commonly affects the cheeks, neck, forearms and legs.
So, if you want to get relief from the painful symptoms of eczema, coconut oil is one wonderful solution. Are you interested in knowing more? Keep reading.
How Coconut Oil Can Treat Eczema?
Due to the many wonderful properties that coconut oil possesses, it is used to treat eczema as well as a number of other skin conditions. There are many skin creams and ointments available in the market, but according to experts, there is nothing better than virgin coconut oil to provide hydration to the skin and relieve the itching and discomfort.
Eczema does not affect only adults. In fact, children develop this skin condition before they reach the age of five (1). In a majority of cases, it continues till adolescence and may go on into adulthood. Approximately 80 percent who are affected by eczema will have it for the rest of their life. Coconut oil is excellent, as it is a gentle way to treat this condition in babies and children.
[ Read: Is Neem An Effective Cure For Eczema? ]
How Does Coconut Oil Help In Treating Eczema?
Is coconut oil good for eczema? As mentioned earlier, coconut oil is full of amazing properties that make it one of the best natural remedies for eczema. Here is a look at the ways this wonderful oil helps:
- Coconut oil possesses antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help in soothing itchy skin and reducing inflammation (2).
- This oil is rich in healthy nutrients and vitamins like lauric acid, caprylic acid, capric acid and vitamins E and K that help in keeping the skin nourished and reduce the flaking and itching that come with eczema. They also prevent further infection and repair broken skin.
- Lauric acid is a type of fat that is rare and is converted by the body into the compound monolaurin, which is highly toxic to bacteria, viruses, fungi and other micro-organisms (3). It penetrates the skin, moisturizes it and keeps it protected against the damage caused by free radicals and the environment.
- Coconut oil supports tissue repair and promotes healing to stimulate proper functioning of the immune system. It is due to this fact that eczema can be treated so well by this natural remedy.
- This amazing oil contains medium-chain triglycerides or medium-chain fatty acids that help in restoring the skin’s protective layer. This provides relief from the effects of eczema.
- It helps in preventing flare-ups and heals infections, rashes and skin damage that this often-painful skin condition causes.
- Lastly, coconut oil is free of chemicals and other substances that aggravate the symptoms of this skin disorder.
Itching is the most prominent of eczema symptoms, and it can be so extreme that redness, broken skin, rashes, infection, and even bleeding can result from it. To gain relief and heal the skin, you should use only organic, cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil. Refined or processed coconut oil will not provide you with the benefits of an unrefined one as preservatives and other ingredients are added.
How To Use Coconut Oil For Eczema Treatment?
Coconut oil can be used as a natural remedy for eczema in two ways: topically applied on affected parts of the skin or ingested. When it is applied topically, all you need to do is massage the oil on the affected areas. You will notice considerable relief from the condition’s symptoms. In severe cases, coconut oil needs to be applied multiple times every day.
When coconut oil is ingested as a natural remedy for eczema, it can help in boosting the immune system, preventing infections and improving overall health. It is recommended that people with eczema consume 2 to 5 tablespoons of this oil every day. You can take coconut oil straight or add it to the dishes in your meals or to beverages.
For babies and children, coconut oil can be used in the same way as with adults, but in smaller quantities. Babies should be given 1 to 2 teaspoons daily to relieve the symptoms of eczema. Breast-feeding mothers of babies with eczema can take this beneficial oil in their daily diet to help in increasing the healthy properties of their milk. When used topically, coconut oil can have a soothing effect on babies and children’s skin and give them relief from the uncomfortable itchy sensation (4).
It also helps in keeping infections away. Before using coconut oil on your little ones, you should make sure that they are not allergic to it.
When you use coconut oil for eczema, experts recommend leaving it on for a couple of hours to make sure that it penetrates the skin. You can also leave it overnight and wash it off when you shower the next morning. As mentioned earlier, it is important to use the oil every day, so that dry, flaky, itchy and inflamed skin gets soothed. This skin condition can get extremely uncomfortable, which is why, apart from using this oil, you need to use skincare products that are mild.
Coconut oil is not only used for eczema, but for psoriasis and other skin disorders as well. For best results, it should be used both internally and externally. This way, you treat the condition from the within, which is the best way to treat eczema and relieve its symptoms. It is also important to remember that you should consult your doctor before using a natural remedy. You need to ensure that coconut oil does not cause an adverse reaction with any medication that you may be taking and that you are not allergic to it.
When it comes to natural remedies for eczema, coconut oil is the best as it is one of the most effective. With its natural properties and soothing effect, it will give you relief from itching as well as other symptoms that come with this disorder.
Tell us how this post has helped you. Comment in the box provided below.
- How To Use Coconut Oil To Reduce Cellulite?
- Coconut Oil For Constipation – The Best Natural Laxative
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida?
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- Stillman Diet: The What, The How And The Why - August 17, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015