Garam masala is one of the most popular spices in India. It has many therapeutic benefits and is usually made using a whole bunch of ingredients. What are the health effects of Garam masala? Is garam masala good for health in the first place?
Read this post and know yourself.
Health Benefits Of Garam Masala:
Garam masala is made using 32 spices and is one of the most popular spices in India. Let’s look at some of the health benefits of this spice. Listed here are some of the most popular health benefits:
Garam Masala Helps:
- Fight disease and builds immunity
- Relieve pain and inflammation
- Slow the aging process
- Promote and instigate weight loss
- Increase vitamin, mineral and protein absorption
- Relieve gastrointestinal problems, heartburn and also soothes the upset stomach
- Lower your glycemic index, which in turn helps lower blood sugar levels
- Reduce bloating
- Detoxify the body
- Eliminate bad breath (1)
[ Read: Benefits Of Cloves ]
Garam Masala is rich in many spices. Most of these spices are quite healthy and help solve many problems.
- Cumin is rich in iron, which makes garam masala good for promoting blood oxygenation and to prevent conditions like anemia. It also helps improve digestion and reduces the risk of contracting cancer.
- Cardamom, or Elaichi, is one of the most important ingredients of garam masala. Apart from treating IBS, cough, heartburn and bronchitis, cardamom has many other benefits for your body.
- Coriander is another ingredient that boasts of many health benefits, including lowering blood cholesterol levels and controlling blood sugar levels.
[ Read: Indian Spices With Healing Properties ]
Reactions And Side Effects:
Garam masala is a fiery spice and can lead to many side effects and reactions in people who aren’t really used to spicy food, or who are prone to allergies. Usually, people experience side effects. A 1999 study on garam masala concluded that spices help speed up gastrointestinal transit time, which basically means that food which contains spices, passes quicker through the intestine (2).
Other side effects of Garam Masala include:
- Allergic reactions
- Contact dermatitis
- Clove oil based garam masala can also trigger anaphylactic shock
The benefits of having Garam masala far outweigh its possible side effects. Spices are pharmaceutical substances with therapeutic benefits. You need to mix the right dose to avoid the side effects and enjoy the many garam masala benefits. If you end up having more than needed, chances are you will suffer from some of the side effects mentioned above. However, a regulated dose will improve your digestive health.
So, answering the question: Garam masala is not bad for your health. It is a pharmaceutical substance that can affect the body adversely. So, measure how much you add and you should be safe.
Making Garam Masala:
Now that we know whether garam masala is really good for your health, let’s look at how to make simple garam masala at home. We say simple, traditionally there are 32 spices in garam masala. However, this simple recipe can help you make some equally good garam masala.
Garam Masala Ingredients:
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 2 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 3-4 star anise
- 4 (1 inch) cinnamon sticks
- Half or quarter nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
[ Read: Herbs And Spices ]
- Add all the spices to a skillet and dry roast them for around 3-5 minutes.
- Grind the mixture in a blender until it becomes a fine powder.Your Garam masala is ready to use.
The quality of spices you use is directly related to how effective the masala will turn out to be. Consider using high-quality spices, even if they are expensive.
[ Read: Benefits Of Black Pepper ]
Uses Of Garam Masala:
Garam Masala has many culinary uses, including:
- It is mostly used as a base spice for preparing curries.
- It can also be used as a garnish for white rice or fresh fruit salad.
Tell us about any recipes you made using Garam masala. Our readers would love to hear from you. You can comment in the box below!
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Mace Spice
- Top 10 Spices & Herbs That Boost Brain Power
- 15 Best Herbs And Spices To Help You Lose Weight
- 9 Amazing Benefits Of Allspice For Skin, Hair And Health
- 7 Spices That Are Sure To Spice Up Your Beauty Routine
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas For Strong Feet - September 1, 2015
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015