Suffering from a sinus infection? Looking for a treatment that will give you relief? Then you have hit the right page! Today, we present to you a remedy that actually works in relieving the many symptoms that accompany a sinus infection.
It is hydrogen peroxide we are talking about. Would you like to know more? Keep reading this post!
Understanding Sinus Infection:
The bones of the nose, eyes and cheeks have membranes that are responsible for producing mucus and filtering germs. But these membranes will be unable to drain properly if there is any congestion in the area. In such times, it can cause inflammation, congestion and pain (1).
Drawbacks Of Common Treatments For Sinus Infection:
Antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, and steroids are some of the other forms of treatment used. However, these medications have certain drawbacks:
- They do not work on the root cause of the problem.
- They eliminate the fluid production, which alters the natural fluid balance of the body. This can have adverse effects in the future.
People are more likely to become immune to these treatments making them less viable.
Hydrogen Peroxide – The Best Treatment:
Hydrogen Peroxide is a safe and natural treatment that has proven to be very effective in treating a sinus infection. It is the same as hydrogen dioxide. It is odourless and colourless and is a cheap (2), easily available remedy for sinus infection. It is a stable compound when stored in the absence of light and other contaminants. Hydrogen peroxide may be applied to open cuts and wounds in low concentrations, but it is most effective in treating sinus problems.
Here’s why hydrogen peroxide is ideal for treating sinus infection:
1. Relieves Congestion:
Hydrogen peroxide safely relieves you of your congestion. You may use it as a rinse to clean the sinus and alleviate the condition.
2. Gets Rid Of Infection:
Hydrogen peroxide has antibacterial properties (3), which protect you from developing an infection. It also limits the areas to which germs can spread.
3. Prevents Re-Infection:
Flooding your sinus with hydrogen peroxide will prevent the germs from re-infecting the damaged areas, thus giving your nasal membranes the time to heal. When the nasal membranes are healthy, they are more capable of resisting infection.
4. More Economical:
It is cost-effective as compared to other treatment methods. One bottle of hydrogen peroxide can suffice very well for multiple sinus infections.
Many other treatments can be addictive and can cause the body to become tolerant, thereby requiring more and more of them to get the same effect. By using hydrogen peroxide, your body does not become dependent or addicted to it.
Easy To Use:
To use as a spray, all you need to do is add 4 parts of filtered water with one part 3% hydrogen peroxide (4) and irrigate the nose when required.
A Word Of Caution:
There are a few things you should keep in mind when dealing with hydrogen peroxide.
- Taking it in concentrated forms can be fatal, so make sure you dilute it for medicinal use.
- Make sure you use gloves and eye protection when handling hydrogen peroxide, as 35% of the solution can burn your skin if it comes in contact with it (5).
- Keep it out of reach of children, and tightly packed in a cold place.
So, if your nasal passage is stuffy making it hard for you to breathe, or if you feel you are getting a cold, or if you have suddenly become very sensitive to smoke and other allergens, these may be symptoms indicating that you are developing a sinus infection. If that is the case, you know what the best treatment is.
How has this post helped you? Do tell us by commenting in the box below.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda? - July 20, 2017
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015