Have you ever thought how eating certain foods can have a direct impact on your liver health? If not, it is time you knew something – that pineapples are one of the best foods when it comes to maintaining liver health.
Wondering how pineapple and liver are interlinked? Then you must read this post.
The Human Liver – A Brief
The human liver is the second largest organ in the human body (1). Your liver processes all foods and beverages you consume and filters the materials that can act as toxins. It is very important that you discard foods that can cause damage to the liver and include more of foods that help boost liver health. Apart from eating fresh, organic foods, it is also important that you drink plenty of water and discard junk and processed foods.
Consuming Pineapple For Liver
It is said that eating citrus and tropical fruits is beneficial for overall health and boosts liver functionality. Pineapple is a tropical fruit that is loved by the majority of people. Its unique sweet taste and flavor make it a favorite ingredient in salads. Pineapple juice is also quite refreshing in the scorching summer days (2). It is used to make ice creams, sorbets, and smoothies as well.
So, what makes pineapple so good for the liver, even if it tastes great? Pineapple contains many nutrients and serves as a versatile fruit that boosts health. However, it is the presence of a compound named bromelain that makes it really good for liver health (3). This is an enzyme that helps in disintegrating toxins in the human body and paves the way for their elimination. This aids the digestion process and keeps the liver free of toxins in the long run. Besides, pineapple’s vitamin C content helps the liver as well as boosts the immunity levels.
[ Read: Is High Protein Diet Safe For Liver? ]
Beneficial For Fighting Fatty Liver
A significant number of people are afflicted with a liver ailment called fatty liver disease (4). Apart from medication and treatment, eating plenty of fiber-rich foods is essential for those suffering from this condition. Fiber intake boosts metabolism in the body and pineapple juice is rich in fiber. Drinking this juice once or twice a day helps people with this condition.
Points To Keep In Mind
Excess of anything good is bad, and that holds true for pineapple as well! Consuming this tropical fruit in juice or slice form can help improve your liver functioning and overall health. However, excess consumption of pineapple may prove to be harmful in certain situations. The fruit contains manganese in trace amounts. Manganese is required by your body for a number of physiological functions. However, taking too much of this mineral may lead to toxicity, which may be quite harmful to those with liver ailments. Ideally, an adult person should not take more than 11 mg of manganese a day. In fact, according to studies, people coping with the chronic liver disease may face a risk of developing neurological symptoms by eating excess amounts of manganese-rich foods.
[ Read: Foods To Eat For A Healthy Liver ]
Tips To Take Pineapple Without Harming Your Liver
You may drink pineapple juice or eat the fruit without causing harm to your liver. Keep the following aspects in mind to be on the safe side.
- Look for the manganese quotient in any food you eat, more so when you have existing liver ailments. Or else, your daily manganese intake will cross the safety limits.
- Try to drink homemade pineapple juice to obtain the maximum nutrients and health benefits. OTC juices may contain fewer nutrients and more of artificial sweeteners and flavoring agents.
- It is better that you eat pineapples that are quite ripe and fresh.
- It is better that you eat fresh pineapple or drink its juice rather than using the fruit in any dish that needs heating up. Heat destroys the bromelain in pineapples.
Eating healthy keeps your liver functioning optimally. Include pineapple in your diet – a natural ingredient that will improve the health of your liver!
Have you ever consumed pineapple for liver health? How has it helped you? Do tell us by commenting in the box below.
- Is Pineapple Good For Diabetics?
- Is Pineapple Effective For Upset Stomach?
- Is Pineapple A Cure For Sore Throat?
- Is Pineapple Good For Kidney Stones?
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- Stillman Diet: The What, The How And The Why - August 17, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015