Most of us suffer from acne during adolescence. Unlike what many believe, acne can happen to anyone, at any age, and even in later years.
What Is Acne?
Acne is a skin concern which emerges due to the overproduction of oil by the skin’s oil glands. While the skin sebum is required to lubricate the skin, it sometimes gets trapped in blocked oil ducts, giving rise to pimples.
Hormonal changes also cause the obstruction of sebaceous glands in the skin. The damage that occurs in and around the pilosebaceous unit, during the acne process causes acne scarring. It is one of the most dreaded outcomes of inflammatory lesions and has a profound impact on the psychological, professional and social lives of a person.
There are various treatments to treat acne scars. A few such methods include:
- Punch excision
- Chemical peeling
- Ablative lasers
- Non- ablative laser
- Fractional laser
Most of these treatments are ineffective and can lead to severe health risks. Additionally, the cost and duration involved with these treatments make it far from ideal.
One of the most popular treatments that have shown amazing results is the laser treatment.
Laser Treatment For Acne Scars:
Laser treatment for acne scars has been proven to be the best available treatment to remove stubborn acne scars completely.
Laser and intense pulsed light (IPL) is a revolutionary, non-evasive treatment that offers a permanent solution to acne scarring. Laser scar treatment uses short pulses of micro-fine laser light, to reach deeply into the skin’s top layer. The body’s natural healing process sweeps away the damaged tissue. It then rebuilds it with new collagen, to reveal the new skin beneath. It is a fast and simple procedure that can be done in less than 40 minutes, depending on the size of the area to be treated.
Four to six treatments, over a period of two months are enough to diminish the scars completely. Moreover, the skin will appear replenished and rejuvenated with a more even texture. The Laser scar treatment works on many skin types, including very pale or very dark skin. Laser resurfacing will not just address the issue of acne scars, but will also improve the appearance of sun damaged skin.
Acne scar varies in terms of color.
- Red acne scars are dealt with laser therapies, like pulsed dye laser (PDL), potassium, titanyl phosphate (KTP), and intense pulsed light (IPL). PDL is most effective for treating red acne scars.
- Brown or dark acne scars can be treated with IPL, quality switched (Q switched) microsecond pulsed and yttrium scandium garnet.
- White acne scar is best treated with fractional ablative lasers.
Types Of Laser Treatments For Acne Scars:
A therapist or skin analyst will assess the scars to decide upon the type of treatment required. Laser treatment does not require application of local anaesthetic creams or gels. All you need to do is, lie comfortably on the bed, while the light is being applied to the affected areas.
1. Frazel Laser:
- It is a non-ablative laser which does not vaporize any tissue.
- Instead, it heats the columns of tissue with laser energy.
- It is the heat energy that stimulates new collagen production in the skin.
2. Carbon Dioxide Lasers:
- This is a relatively new laser treatment that provides better results than Frazel laser treatments.
- The patients must meet the specific requirements in order to qualify for the procedure.
- Carbon dioxide laser emits short bursts of extremely high-energy laser that vaporizes the scarred tissue, layer by layer.
- The recovery from carbon dioxide laser treatment ranges from three to ten days depending upon the intensity of the treatment.
3. Fractional Laser Treatment:
- It is the best laser treatment for acne scars.
- In fractional laser treatment, only a small portion of the skin is treated with laser energy while the rest of the skin is spared.
- This stimulates faster healing of the skin tissues and production of collagen.
- Pixel is the latest technological advancement in skin resurfacing.
- Small pin-sized laser points are applied on the affected regions, leaving the rest of the skin surface untouched and intact.
- The intensity and depth of penetration can be easily controlled and the pulse can be stacked for deeper problematic areas.
[ Read: Ways To Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally ]
5. Active Fx and Deep Fx:
- The active Fx laser target the superficial skin.
- The Deep Fx targets the deeper skin.
Advantages of Laser Treatment:
The advantage of laser treatment for acne scar is that it works in harmony with the structure of the skin tissue.
Laser acne scar treatment is certainly a safer alternative to harsh chemical peels, glycolic acid, punch excision and strong surgical lasers. The frequency of laser treatment is every one to two weeks.
Side-Effects of Laser Treatment:
Like any good thing, this too can have certain effects that may not always be good.
- High intensity laser treatment can cause burning, which may result in crusting, oozing, swelling, cyst and dilated blood vessels.
- Sensitive skin may develop an uneven skin tone in the areas where the treatment has been done. This can leave the skin blotchy and dark.
- The treated acne scars may have some blood spotting and it may take about a week for it to heal.
- Inconsistent laser treatment may also cause eczema, acne, cyst and saggy skin.
[ Read: Can Mint Leaves Help Cure Acne Scars ]
Important Points To Remember:
- Always visit a certified skin care center to get the treatment done. There are many small and unregistered clinics practicing laser treatments without qualified dermatologists, which may severely harm the skin.
- Lasers come in a variety of wavelengths and energy settings. It is very important to choose correct settings, as wrong setting or the incorrect laser can harm and even disfigure the face.
- Also, do not undergo laser treatment without consulting your skin practitioner. A full knowledge of the type of laser treatment required, total number of laser sessions, cost and side-effects should be taken into consideration before going ahead with the treatment.
- Following laser treatment, the person is advised to avoid the sun and use sunscreen, even at home. The number of sessions required depends upon the skin type and severity of the problem.
Now that you know about this option of removing those unwanted acne scars, we are sure you will give it a thought. If you are thinking about laser treatment for your acne or acne scars, don’t forget to consult with a qualified dermatologist and then proceed.
- 5 Types Of Laser Skin Treatments And Their Benefits
- Effective Natural Remedies To Remove Old Scars
- Basic Types Of Laser Treatments For Weight Loss And Their Benefits
- 9 Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal Treatment That You Should Definitely Know
- Top 10 Clinics/Centers That Provide Laser Treatment For Acne Scars
Latest posts by Arshi Ahmed (see all)
- 20 Radical Styling Ideas For Your Red Ombre Hair - October 27, 2017
- 10 Best Neem Soap Brands You Can Try - September 29, 2014
- 50 Amazing Workout Hairstyles You Can Try - May 15, 2014
- 21 Effective Home Remedies For Red Eyes - April 12, 2014
- How To Improve Blood Circulation in The Body – 18 Effective Home Remedies - April 12, 2014