Our hair is the crowning glory of our looks, both literally and figuratively. Long, gorgeous, and healthy tresses are every girl’s dream, but most of us end up hating our dull and lifeless hair. Owing to our hectic, modern lifestyle, which includes everyday stress and pollution, long hair can be difficult to achieve.
Maintaining long and lustrous hair is not a one day task. It requires a proper and dedicated hair care regimen that is easy to follow. If you’re dreaming of long locks like Rapunzel’s, here are a few tips you must follow.
Tip 1: Oil Your Hair At Least Twice A Week
Proper nutrition is as essential for your hair as it is for any other part of your body. Oiling the roots provides nutrition and strength to help your hair grow long and strong. It also helps rejuvenate dead hair shafts.
Tip 2: Give Yourself A Head Massage Regularly
Massaging is one of the simplest and most soothing hair care tips. It improves blood circulation and stimulates blood flow to the entire body. You can use coconut oil or almond oil to massage your scalp. Applying lavender oil also promotes hair growth.
We can never deny the importance of a good hot oil head massage, which is one of the best-known home remedies for long hair. A good ‘champi’ is the best thing for our hair. Get it done at the parlor, by your mom/sister, or do it yourself.
- After applying hot (warm) oil on the scalp, gently massage the scalp with your fingertips.
- Apply oil to the strands of the hair. Let them soak in the goodness of the oil.
- You may also wrap a hot towel around the head for 10 minutes to help in the better absorption of the oil into the hair.
- Wash off after one to two hours with a mild shampoo.
- You will note evident results post your first usage.
Tip 3: Skip The Daily Shampoo
Shampooing your hair twice or thrice a week allows the natural oils to penetrate your hair, thereby allowing it to hydrate and repair itself. The purpose of shampoo is to wash away dirt and product build-up. But, applying it daily can make your hair dry, frizzy, and brittle, and lead to breakage. Shampoos contain sulfates, and the excessive usage of sulfates can cause damage to your hair.
Tip 4: Be Gentle While Washing Your Hair
You must be gentle while shampooing. Just lather up at the scalp and simply let the suds slide down the strands. Your hair becomes soft while it is wet, and rubbing the shampoo harshly on soft hair can lead to breakage.
Tip 5: Use Conditioner Every Time You Shampoo
Conditioning is a key factor to maintain good hair. It locks the moisture in the shaft, prevents dryness, and provides protection from dirt and pollution and, to a certain extent, from the sun as well. It also helps replace the lipids and proteins inside the hair shaft and seals the cuticles to prevent further damage.
Tip 6: Finish Off The Shower With A Cold Rinse
A super steamy shower can be rough on your hair and can leave it rough and dry. Rinsing with cold water, on the other hand, helps to seal the cuticles and strengthen your shafts, thus helping your hair grow longer and maintain its health.
Tip 7: Dry Your Hair Gently
Drying your hair roughly using a towel increases the chances of breakage. Choose a gentle towel or an old t-shirt, pat your hair dry using it, and then let it air dry for some time.
Tip 8: Avoid Brushing Wet Hair
Wet hair tends to stretch more and break easily as compared to dry hair. So avoid brushing while your hair is still wet. If you wish to detangle it, use your fingers, and gently work through the tangles.
Tip 9: Use A Wide-Toothed Comb
It is always advised to use a wide-toothed comb for your hair. Once your hair is dry, start combing your hair from the bottom, and then work up gradually. This will prevent unnecessary hair fall. Pulling the hair constantly and carelessly will lead to physical harm to your hair. Boar bristle brushes are also good for distributing the scalp’s natural oils down the hair.
Brush your hair twice a day. Remember to brush before bedtime. This will ensure that the blood circulation to the scalp is good when you are sleeping (we all know that our hair grows the most while we are sleeping).
Tip 10: Trim Your Hair Regularly
Snipping your hair more often helps in faster hair growth and removes split ends. Regular styling and pollution make your hair prone to split ends and damaged cuticles. Trimming the lower portion of your hair every six to eight weeks is always advisable as it ensures that the damage is minimum, and this promotes the growth of healthy hair.
Tip 11: Ditch Your Cotton Pillowcase
Ditching cotton pillowcases and opting for satin fabrics will keep your hair healthy and hydrated. Since satin and silk fabrics have a softer surface, they cause less friction as compared to cotton fabrics, and thus, you wake up with fewer or no tangles at all.
Tip 12: Stop Abusing Your Hair With Styling Tools
The biggest culprits behind damaged hair are hot tools. Stop over-styling your hair. Instead, adopt a few natural methods to curl and straighten your hair.
Tip 13: Avoid Tight Ponytails
Ponytails and similar hairdos look awesome, but tight hairstyles cause stress on the roots, and the friction leads to breakage. Try different and loose hairstyles.
Tip 14: Include Vitamin E In Your Hair Care Regimen
Vitamin E is extremely good for hair and has been an essential ingredient in body lotions, shampoos, and conditioners. Use it individually or mix it with coconut oil and apply it to your scalp.
Tip 15: Choose The Correct Products For Your Hair
Chemically loaded shampoos, conditioners, and styling products can have adverse effects on our hair in the long run. Their build-up and prolonged exposure are bad for your hair and overall health. Use mild shampoos and conditioners.
Tip 16: Try Herbal Remedies And Treatment For Your Hair
Herbal remedies and treatments are very effective in promoting hair growth. We spend a lot on costly products that may or may not give the desired results. You can use ingredients like egg, honey, aloe vera, coconut milk, amla juice, vinegar, etc. for hair care. These ingredients keep your hair healthy, strong, and chemical-free. You can make your own hair rinses at home and apply them regularly.
Here are a few effective home remedies for healthy long hair.
A. Protein Hair Mask
This is a simple home remedy to grow your hair.
What You Need
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of castor oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
What You Have To Do
- Take the ingredients in a bowl and mix them to make a paste.
- Massage the pack into the scalp.
- Keep the hair pack on for 30 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Along with the above-mentioned mask, try adding an egg with 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil. You can also use olive oil instead of the coconut oil. Make this into a paste and apply the mixture to the scalp and hair. Leave this on for 45-60 minutes and wash it off after that.
- After a protein mask, you may use two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a liter of water to wash off your hair.
- Use the mixture as a rinse and after using shampoo to wash off the remains of the shampoo from your hair.
Why This Works
Protein masks are excellent for obtaining healthy hair. This is a very good hair mask that promotes hair growth. The components also render shine and smoothness to hair.
B. Banana Mask
You Will Need
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup flat beer
What You Have To Do
- Take a banana in a bowl and mash it. Do away with all the clumps.
- Now take an egg, honey, and beer, and mix them all with a fork along with the banana.
- The mixture should be a smooth paste. Use this mixture on the scalp and along the length of your hair as well.
- Now tie your hair up in a bun and cover the head with a shower cap.
- Leave the mixture on for at least an hour or 1.5 hours. Rinse with cold water.
Why This Works
The egg and the banana give nourishment to the hair. The honey moisturizes it, and beer is known to give volume and thickness to the hair.
[ Read: Banana Hair Mask ]
C. Onion Mask
You Will Need
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 tablespoons of honey
What You Have To Do
- Grate the onion and squeeze out the juice into a container.
- Apply this on the scalp and then follow up with a generous massage with honey.
- Leave the hair mask on for 30 minutes and wash off.
Why This Works
Onion is very helpful for hair growth. Honey deeply moisturizes the hair and the onion juice stimulates the hair follicles. For best results, do this massage every day for a month.
Tip 17: Maintain A Proper Diet And Exercise Regularly
- A proper diet is the key to a healthy body and mind, and your hair is no exception. Here are a few things you can include in your diet for healthy hair.
- Protein intake helps to speed up the process of hair growth and makes your locks strong and lustrous.
- Coconut and dry fruits are very good to enhance hair growth. They also make your hair bouncy and voluminous.
- Include green leafy vegetables, fruits, sprouts, nuts, and curd in your diet.
- Vitamins play a major role in maintaining the growth of hair and cuticles. Try to consume as many vitamins as you can in the form of fruits, especially citrus fruits.
- Our body must be hydrated enough to maintain the water levels as dehydration can lead to dry skin and scalp and lifeless hair. Try to consume as much water and fluids as you can.
- Drink plenty of water and exercise regularly. These help in improving the blood circulation to the scalp, in turn, promoting hair growth.
[ Read: How Does Water Help In Hair Growth? ]
Tip 18: Avoid Stress
Last, but not the least, stress can have adverse effects on our body. Stress can lead to hair loss as well as reduce hair growth rate and make hair unhealthy.
A proper seven to eight-hour sleep is important for hair growth and to keep our body healthy and stress-free.
Tip 19: Take Supplements
Gelatin encourages hair growth. You can intake gelatin supplements in the form of capsules. Also, using dry gelatin in your daily sauces or drinks will do the trick. Don’t worry, it will not ruin your favorite dishes as it is odorless and tasteless.
Now that you know how to get long hair naturally, what are you waiting for? Apart from the above methods, it is also important to protect your hair from external damaging factors such as pollution, dust, excessive heat/ cold, direct sunlight, etc. When stepping out of the home, ensure you use a scarf/ dupatta to cover your head (and hair).
Following the tips mentioned in the article will ensure you have problem-free, long, and healthy hair. Any more questions related to home remedies for growing long hair? Leave a comment below.
- 7 Natural Homemade Remedies To Get Shiny Hair
- 9 Homemade Tips To Cover Up Grey Hair
- 24 Best Home Remedies For Oily & Greasy Hair
- Top 10 Home Remedies To Cure Hair Fungus
- 3 Effective Homemade Conditioners For Dry Hair
Latest posts by Jyotsana rao (see all)
- 13 Quotes About Reading That Will Melt Any Book Lover - April 28, 2016
- 5 Videos Featuring Ways To Care For Oily Skin At Home - April 28, 2016
- 5 Amazing Videos on How To Make Detox Water - April 27, 2016
- Why You Need To Stop Everything And Clean Your Earplugs Right Now - April 27, 2016