If you are one of those weight-watchers who always like to eat right, then you would surely know the importance of breakfast. Those who are conscious about their calories are keen on kick-starting their day with controlled calories. It’s a myth that healthy low calorie breakfast cannot be lip smacking.
Best Low Calorie Breakfast Options
Here are the top 10 low calorie breakfast options to have some delicious low calorie dishes.
1. Moong Dal and Spinach Idli:
- Soak split yellow gram for 3 hours.
- Blanch and roughly chop spinach.
- Now grind spinach and moong dal in a grinder without water to make a paste.
- Add 1 tbsp fresh curd and salt.
- Add fruits and 2 tbsp water right before steaming.
- Mix well.
- Grease your idli mould and put spoonful of batter in each mould.
- Cover and steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Once it cools a little, remove from the mould and serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Oatmeal is one healthy low calorie breakfast option. After starving your body through the night, you must eat right to have enough energy through the day. Oatmeal can be prepared in a number of ways with milk, water, honey, maple syrup, fruits and nuts. It makes for a tasty and healthy breakfast. Always use skimmed milk and add fruits instead of sweeteners.
[ Read: Healthy and tasty ]
3. Bagel and Cream Cheese with Tomato:
- Toast your thin bagel into halves
- Spread a layer of fat-free cream cheese
- Put slices of tomato.
- Add some salt, pepper and seasoning for flavour.
It is low in calories and keeps you full for long. This is a healthy and tasty breakfast option.
4. Corn Flakes and French Toast:
- Use multi-grain French toasts.
- Add some fat-free milk and corn flakes and enjoy your delicious breakfast.
- You can add some honey or maple syrup if you need flavour.
- Low calorie fresh-fruits or juice will add more taste to this dish.
5. Yogurt with Fruits and Nuts:
Having a bowl full of yogurt with your favourite fruits and nuts makes a delicious low calorie breakfast. Corn flakes can also be an option. Add toasted whole wheat bread to make it tastier.
6. Broken Wheat Upma:
- Wash ½ cup broken wheat and par boil it for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add mustard seeds.
- Add chillies.
- Add chopped onions and grated ginger.
- Sauté for some time and add carrots and peas.
- Now add broken wheat and add 1 ¼ cup of water and salt.
- Pressure cook for two whistles and your low calorie breakfast is ready.
7. Vegetable Club Sandwich:
- Take two slices of whole wheat bread.
- Make a layer of shredded cabbage
- Add onions, capsicum, shredded carrots, unpeeled and sliced cucumber and some ketchup.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and enjoy your sandwich.
- You can also add moong dal chilla as another layer
- Non-vegetarians can add eggs to this.
8. Corn Poha:
The traditional Indian breakfast of poha can be made into a power packed low calorie dish.
- Simply replace potatoes with sweet corn kernels.
- Heat oil
- Add chillies, curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add onions, carrots, peas, corns and tomatoes.
- Now add pre-washed and drained beaten rice.
- Add turmeric, salt and mix well.
- Garnish with lemon juice and coriander and serve hot.
9. Cucumber Pancakes:
- 1 cup of semolina
- 2 cups of grated cucumber
- ¼ cup low fat curd
- 2 tbsp grated jiggery
- 1 chopped green chilly
- Salt to taste.
How to Make:
- Mix all ingredients together into a batter.
- Grease a non-stick pan.
- Spread one portion of batter and let it cook on slow flame.
- Flip the side when it is brown and cook other side.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
10. Mixed Sprouts Poha:
- Wash beaten rice (poha) lightly and drain.
- Boil 1 ½ cup of mixed sprouts.
- Heat oil
- Add mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves.
- Add onions and sauté a little.
- After some time, add boiled mixed sprouts and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, sugar and cook on medium flame.
- Add ¼ cup water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now add beaten rice
- Mix well and garnish with lemon juice and coriander. Serve hot.
So these were some delectable low calorie breakfast recipes. Let us know which one of these dishes you relished the most. We would love you to share similar recipes with us. Write back soon. Thank you!
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Top 5 Konad Nail Art Pens - April 2, 2014
- 5 Reasons For Weight Loss In Diabetic Patients - February 20, 2014
- Best Panasonic Dryers Available In India – Our Top 5 Picks - January 27, 2014
- 5 Amazing Benefits of Mayonnaise Hair Treatment - January 17, 2014