Have you ever practiced a different form of yoga at home? If your answer is ‘no’, then it’s time that you learn new, different and the best-in-class yoga types and forms, and start practicing these at home every day.
Any yoga session has a mixture of warm-up exercises, yoga asanas/ poses, breathing exercises/ pranayama and meditation. A person practicing yoga at home should practice all of these things to stay fit and rejuvenated throughout the day.
Mahayoga, also referred to as ‘great yoga’ is said to be the designation of the first of the three Tantras of the Nyingma School of Tibetian Buddhism. Although it has a Buddhist touch to it, yet it is different from Zen meditation.
Maha yoga is also said to have the healing power as well as masculine touch to it. More than asanas, maha yoga is mainly associated with Dhyana (meditation). In this type of yoga, the seeker/ person indulges himself in samadhi (the state of deep relaxation/ deep meditation).
[ Read: Yoga ]
Maha yoga schedule
To begin a Maha yoga session at home, follow the step by step instructions mentioned below and get started:-
1. Find a comfortable and quiet place/a corner of your home where you can sit, relax and practice Maha yoga.
2. Choose a yoga mat or a cloth/blanket, typically known as ‘asana’ in yogic terms, for your session. Always keep one piece of cloth for your yoga session. Do not keep changing it every day.
3. Choose a time frame (15- 30 minutes, if you are a beginner). One should practice meditation for as much time as he or she can. But due to the fast-paced and busy lifestyles we lead, it is not always possible.
4. Close your eyes and try to concentrate on your breath. Inhale and exhale deeply, and throughout the session. Keep your eyes closed till the end of the session.
5. Place your hands on your knees in Dhyana mudra. This increases your concentration levels.
6. Feel the divine energy around you and let it engulf you. Concentrate and let the divine energy enter your body with full force. Feel the energy entering your body and rejuvenating it.
7. Do not let your mind get distracted from this energy. This energy also helps in activating the energy chakras in your body. Continue breathing completely and deeply.
8. If at all you think that your mind is getting distracted by thoughts, do not try to suppress them. As a substitute, you can try to shift your concentration on your body parts, the energy running through it, the effect of energy on your body, etc.
9. Remain steady in this state for 10-15 minutes in the beginning and then you can take it up to 30-45 minutes.
10. Release from the meditation state by slowly palming your hands and placing them on your eyes. In this way, the energy that you create by keeping your hands in Dhyana mudra is transferred to your body through your eyes.
[ Read: Yoga Mudras ]
Benefits of Mahayoga:
Mahayoga offers immense benefits to those who practice it regularly and sincerely. These benefits include the following:
- It improves your concentration levels.
- It improves your endurance capacity
- It helps you in controlling your thought process.
- It improves your thinking capacity.
- It brings about an overall improvement in your mind, body and soul.
It’s always a good to learn a new thing. Try practicing Maha yoga at home and see the wonderful difference it leaves behind on your mind, body and soul. Don’t forget to leave us a comment and help us serve you better!
[ Read: Nada Yoga ]
Latest posts by amruta (see all)
- Top 5 Yoga Asanas For A Healthy Heart - March 24, 2014
- Top 15 Yoga Videos From YouTube - March 5, 2014
- Iyengar Yoga – What Is It And How To Practice It? - February 28, 2014
- Top 5 yoga Asanas To Do In Bed - December 20, 2013
- Art Of Living Yoga – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits? - December 3, 2013