Are you worried about weight gain prior to and during your menstruation period? Thinking of what you can do to get yourself relieved from this situation? The first thing you should do is to stop worrying, because weight gain is a common concern associated with the Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS).
And you need to note that this is a temporary problem. One can get rid of the issue by following simple lifestyle measures. Most other common issues during the periods are frustration, gloominess, stress and anxiety, bloated tummy, stomach cramps and back pain.
Want to know more about weight gain during periods and how you can go about tackling it? Then relax and read this post, and never worry about the issue again!
How Much Weight Gain Is Acceptable Before And During The Period?
Wondering how much weight does a woman gain during her period? The weight gain rate can vary from woman to woman depending on a number of factors. Anything between 2 to 10 pounds of excess weight gain is considered as normal. There are five basic stages of the menstruation cycle and the weight gain happens during the first three phases of the cycle, i.e., before and during periods.
The Reasons For Weight Gain:
The cause of weight gain before and during periods is retention of water or fluid in the body. Although it is not something to be worried about, many women feel concerned about their sudden weight gain, even if they are on a strict diet regimen. Some of the most common causes of weight gain before and during periods are mentioned below:
1. Decrease In The Level Of Magnesium Content:
Just before you are about to start with your menstruation cycle, the magnesium levels in your body might drop. This can lead to lower levels of insulin, which, on the other hand, increases the craving for glucose. This leads to an increased level of food cravings, especially sugar consumption, and that can lead to weight gain before and during the period.
2. Water Retention:
Another common cause of weight gain is water retention. The water that is absorbed in the body from various sources during various phases of the day is retained by the body tissues during the menstruation period. This condition is also known as edema. The edema influences the body because of severe hormonal fluctuations, which occur during the periodic cycle. It is normal for any women at such times to feel bloated. In fact, any changes in the bowel movements can also result in water retention by the body. But the main cause is the sudden and abrupt decrease of the progesterone level in the bodies of the individuals.
3. Craving For Food:
Apart from the water retention or edema, increased cravings for food and overeating can also be an important cause behind weight gain before and during the period. During the menstruation period, there is a surge in the metabolic level and thus, the consumption of food also increases significantly. The brain perceives this condition as glucose deficiency, which is why, there is a tendency of overeating during this menstruation period.
[ Read: Reasons For Weight Gain After Surgery ]
Remedies For Preventing Weight Gain Before And During Period:
Although the gain in weight before and during the period is not bothersome, there are several remedies and treatments available for the same. Here are some of them mentioned for your help:
1. Herbal And Natural Supplements:
Calcium is helpful in combating the PMS symptoms and hence, it is advised to consume enough calcium in this period. If you wish, you can also use the diuretic or a natural herbal remedy for controlling your weight gain.
Magnesium is also an important element that you must consume in order to maintain a balance between the hormonal changes in your body.
You can also take medicines, which are prescribed by a reliable medical practitioner to control and balance your hormonal fluctuations.
However, remember, it is always necessary to consult an expert medical professional before consuming any medications, since not doing so can impose adverse effects on your body.
Vitamin B6 helps in reducing the estrogen levels in the blood and also increases the progesterone levels. This helps in balancing the fluctuating hormones, which, on the other hand, help in controlling weight gain. To get rid of the PMS symptoms during menstruation, it is advised to take Vitamin B6 in the doses of 100 to 200 mg per day.
3. Change In Lifestyle:
It is extremely essential to bring certain changes to your lifestyle throughout the month. This will be beneficial for you to get rid of the PMS syndrome and also avoid gaining weight before and during the period.
- Avoid consuming salt and sodium during the menstruation period as they are responsible for the water retention in the body.
- Avoid drinking caffeine before and during this period as it will increase your anxiety levels and also enhance your craving for food.
- Avoid consuming alcohol at all costs during the menstrual cycle. Instead, you can drink warm water with some lime juice as it is known for reducing the fluid retention in the body.
- It is important to exercise throughout the month as it is one of the most effective ways of avoiding weight gain and also avoiding the PMS syndrome.
- Always include vegetables, lean proteins and also complex carbohydrates as well as the Omega 3 fatty acids in your diet.
- Drink lots of water to remain hydrated always. The more water you drink, the more you will pass urine and that will help in flushing out the toxins from your body.
In summary, though it is typical for women to go through weight gain prior to and throughout the periods, there are many easy and simple techniques, which can assist in resolving the issue. Adhere to the aforementioned changes in lifestyle meticulously and you will never have any problems with gaining weight in the course of your menstruation cycle.
Did you already know the reasons behind weight gain before and during periods? What did you try to battle the issue? Do not forget to share your experiences with us in the comments section below!
- The 7 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight
- How To Manage Your Weight Gain During Pregnancy?
- 10 Reasons Why Women Gain Weight After 40
- 6 Effective Yoga Asanas To Treat Irregular Periods
- Top 15 Home Remedies To Manage Your Period Pains
Latest posts by Pubali Mukherjee (see all)
- What Is Osho Meditation And How To Practice It? - January 29, 2015
- 27 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Premenstrual Syndrome - December 29, 2014
- 3 Major Causes Of Weight Gain Before And After Periods - December 23, 2014
- What Is Cellophane Hair Treatment And What Are Its Benefits? - September 16, 2014
- Top 10 Benefits Of Oatmeal Soap - September 11, 2014