Have you ever wondered how Celebrities are able to pull off a particularly hot makeup trend while it looks completely out of place on you? One of the reasons behind this could be your face shape. There are broadly six different types of face shapes and each one has a different set of basic rules when it comes to makeup.
Makeup for Different Face Shapes
Makeup tips for Oval Face:
An oval face shape is perfectly symmetrical. The eyes are separated by an eye’s length; the forehead is wider than the lower face. This bone structure works with just about any makeup look. Women use highlight and contour techniques to achieve this look, so an oval faced person can skip heavy contouring as the face shape is naturally contoured.
So for makeup, all an oval face needs is a Bronzer in a “3”shape from the forehead to cheekbones and then to the chin in order to accentuate the ideal features that the face already has. This face shape can pull off latest trends and colours very easily.
- Next comes eyebrows. Arched brows can give a more oval shape. So follow natural shape of brow bones and tweeze that way.
- While doing makeup for eyes or lips, concentrate on any one feature, either eyes or lips keeping the other simple .
Makeup tips for Round Face:
Round face has equal length and width. So when it comes to makeup, you have to create the illusion of length. Contouring is very important for this face shape. A bronzer can work as a contour when applied to the temples and beneath the jaw line. Doing so will create the illusion of an oval face. Also highlight the forehead, area under the eyes and the chin to draw attention to the centre of your face.
A blush can be applied just beneath the cheekbones in order to give them definition, or apply it directly to the apples of the cheeks to accentuate their perfect shape. Do apply the blush in upward strokes to give a slimming effect.
A little care needs to be taken regarding the colours as bright colours only accentuate the roundness of the face.
Makeup tips for Oblong Face:
Oblong or long face as it is commonly known gives you plenty of surface area to play with makeup, so new things can often be tried but one has to be careful about the choice of colours. The face has length but lacks the required width. So contouring across the lower section of the chin helps to shorten the face length. Blush should be applied to the apples of the cheek to widen your face. A neutral palette works best for this face shape.
- Make your eye lashes look bigger and more dramatic by using double curling (before and after use of mascara) or you may even experiment with darker false lashes.
- Try to keep lips minimum and rosy pink, they look the best and wide, to make face appear fuller.
- Coming to the nose, like for oval face you do a side shadowing. Here do a top shadowing technique, do not use shadowing on sides of nose, let it remain covered in foundation. Sweep the top of nose bone with a bronzer.
Makeup tips for Heart Face:
For a heart shaped face, contour at the temples and cheeks to diminish the width of the upper face. Just like the round face, highlight the forehead, area under the eyes and the chin to draw attention to the centre of the face.
Heart shaped faces look great with a red or berry lip colour and light blush as it takes the attention away from the strong cheekbones. For makeup, a strong black or brown liner and a white or beige eye shadow palette can be used without hesitation.
Makeup tips for a Diamond Face:
Use makeup to brighten the centre of your face. A lighter liquid foundation or highlighting powder will help you achieve this effect with ease. Apply it to the forehead, bridge of the nose and centre of the chin to draw attention to the centre part of the face. Using a bronzing powder or slightly darker foundation, contour the peak of the forehead, tip of the chin and underside of the cheekbones for minimising the width and giving the face a more proportionate look.
Makeup tips for a Square face:
Square face has very strong features and thus makeup for this face is a little tricky. The attention should be towards softening the features using the right makeup techniques—for instance, using rounded strokes. Contouring the jawbone and blending it upwards towards the ear will help reduce the sharpness of the jawline. Apply blush in a rounded shape on the apples of the cheeks, make sure that you sweep the makeup brush upward towards the temples to create a more symmetrical shape.
Just keep these points on corrective makeup for different face shapes in mind when you apply make up next time and you can definitely pull off any look.
Enjoy these proven tricks on makeup for your face shape and thus look your best!
Latest posts by Aparajita Chattopadhyay (see all)
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Watermelon Tea - November 11, 2014
- 10 Healthy Juices That Can Help You To Lose Weight - January 27, 2014
- Top 10 Amazing Benefits Of Strawberry Juice For Skin, Hair And Health - November 8, 2013
- Top 10 Benefits Of Sugarcane Juice (Ganne Ka Ras) For Skin, Hair And Health - October 16, 2013