Are you planning to go on a trek or try some adventure sport this holiday? Well, you need to be absolutely fit to enjoy it. You need stamina as well as a strong and healthy body to undergo the rigors that a trek entails. Today, more and more people are taking to exercise to keep their body healthy. They have realized that a healthy body is a prerequisite for a healthy and happy life. A healthy body will keep away all kinds of diseases that are spreading all over the world. Obesity has become an epidemic today. An overweight body is a carrier for all kinds of fatal diseases. There are various kinds of exercise regimes that one can follow to lose weight and attain a fit and healthy body. But do remember that your workout regime should include exercises that you are comfortable with. If you do not enjoy your time spent exercising, you are less likely to continue!
Medicinal Ball Slam:
In the recent years, medicine ball slams have gained popularity in the fitness circles. They improve the reactive strength of the abdominal and back muscles, while working on cardiovascular endurance, muscle mass, and hand eye coordination.
Endurance and Fitness:
Today with more and more people trying out adventure sports and trekking, these exercises have become very important. The body needs to be very fit when you are trekking on uneven surfaces with backpacks on your backs. The leg muscles, as well as the back muscles, need a lot of strength to trek. The various kinds of adventure sports also require strong hands and arms.
Kind of Medicine Ball:
For a medicine ball slam, you need a non-bouncy medicine ball. These are weighted balls that help to enhance the body workout. These balls come in varying weights. You can choose the one that works best for you. One can use these medicine balls while doing a number of exercises.
Benefits of the Slam:
The medicine ball slam is done for developing power, strength, and speed. It works best for triceps, abdomen, shoulders, calves, back, glutens, quads, etc. This exercise increases heartbeat and burns a good number of calories.
How to Do?
- Stand with your feet apart at shoulder width and knees slightly bend. Hold a medicine ball in your hand.
- Now lift the medicinal ball overhead with your arms extended.
- Look straight ahead and inhale before you slam the ball.
- Now bend forward at the waist and use your core muscles to throw the ball down in front of your feet with as much force as possible. Contract the abdomen effectively and exhale while doing the exercise.
- Let the arms follow through the movement to prevent falling.
- At the end, the heels should be on the floor and knees slightly bent.
- Let the ball bounce off the floor and catch it when it comes back. If the ball does not bounce, then keep your abdomen contracted and pick up the ball.
- Lift the ball back to the starting position and inhale.
- Then perform another slam.
- Before beginning the medicine ball slam, check the bounciness of the ball.
- If you are using a bouncy ball, it can bounce back to your face. Do not throw the ball straight down. Throw it a bit forward.
Start a stopwatch and perform the following routine:
- 15 wall ball slams, 1 pull-up.
- 14 wall ball slams, 2 pull-ups.
- 13 wall ball slams, 3 pull-ups.
- 1 wall ball slam, 15 pull-ups.
Once you get the hang of the exercise, repetition becomes easier for you. Then increase the weight of the ball. There are other variations too, which can be done to increase stamina and endurance.
The medicine ball slam is a great way to keep your body fit. It is also an innovative way to keep boredom away! As I mentioned earlier, you really need to enjoy the time you spend working out. This is the perfect way to keep you interested in exercising! Do talk to your trainer for more information.
Have you ever tried the medicine ball slam? Did you enjoy it? Share your experience with us in the comments section.