Who said you need expensive, fancy equipment and gym membership to lose weight, become stronger and fitter, and get to your healthiest self as fast as possible? Here, we have assembled a list of the 26 effective exercises that do not need any equipment and can be done anywhere.
Let’s have a look at the top 26 no equipment workouts to offer yourself a great body without spending money on those expensive exercise equipment:
Vinyasa is the name given to the sequence between two Downward Dogs in a Surya Namaskar. It is a complex movement, which combines three yoga poses in a flow – Downward Dog, Chaturanga, and Upward Pose. Vinyasa warms up your entire body, gives a total body stretch, and is one of the best exercises for weight loss.
Start in standing position, abs tight, shoulders rolled back and feet hip-width apart. Bend forward with your back flat and place your hands on the floor on both sides of your feet. You can bend your knees slightly if you need to.
- Take your feet back and get into the Downward Dog pose by lifting your hips and booty high in the air. Press your chest towards your quads.
- Now, lower your butt and get into the plank position with your body in a straight line and hands directly under your shoulders.
- Slowly lower your body down in a Chaturanga by bending your elbows and pushing them back. Your upper body goes
- lower than your booty, but do not get completely down on the floor.
- Now, slowly raise your upper body in an upward dog pose by straightening your arms and arching your back. Drop the tops of your legs down if you need to otherwise keep them up.
- From Upward Dog position, tuck your toes under and lift the booty back into the air in a Downward Dog. This is your one Vinyasa flow.
- Do 8 Vinyasas.
2. Squat Jumps
Squat Jumps are effective for strengthening the entire lower body – legs and butt. At the same time, the plyometric movement of this exercise helps in burning fat.
- Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart and abs tight.
- Squat down by bending your knees. Make sure your knees are in line with your heels.
- Now, jump up by pushing the floor with your feet and land softly back into the squat.
- Do 10-12 squat jumps.
3. Plié Squats
Do you want that inner thigh gap? You want strong groin and thigh muscles? Then this is the move for you! Plié Squats tone your inner thighs and work your gluteus muscles effectively.
- Stand straight with your feet placed wider than shoulder-width apart. Place your hands on your hips.
- Now, sink low with your back straight and your knees pointing in the opposite direction. Go as low as you can till your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Straighten up and do 15 reps.
4. Triceps Push-ups
Triceps Push-up is one of the most effective exercises for getting rid of the bingo wings and flabby upper arms. This move targets your triceps and also works on the lats.
- Get down into the straight arm Plank position with your hands under your shoulders and abs tight.
- Lower your body halfway by bending your arms at elbows and your elbows pointing backwards. Make sure your upper arms are near your flank. Keep your body in a straight line.
- Push yourself up by straightening the arms.
- If you are a beginner, you can rest your knees on the floor and then do the push-ups.
5. Jumping Lunge
Lunges are extremely effective for your lower body. They target your quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus and even your calves. But, adding jumps to the lunges takes it to another level. It becomes a high-intensity cardio move that scorches the extra fat in your body.
- Stand straight and then step your right leg back into a back lLnge. This is your starting position.
- Now, jump up and switch legs. Land down into the Lunge with your right leg in the front and left leg back. This was your one rep.
- Do 8-10 more.
6. Jumping Jacks
Jumping Jacks are probably old-school but still one of the best cardio exercises to burn maximum calories and lose weight. If you have any shoulder related issues, you can do half-jacks.
- Stand straight with shoulders rolled back, abs tight and feet together.
- Jump up and open your legs in the wide stance. At the same time, lift your arms straight overhead. Land softly with your feet more than shoulder-width apart and arms straight up.
- Jump again and come back to the starting position. This is one rep.
- Do 30 jumping jacks.
7. Rolling Plank
Rolling Plank is a great move for your entire core. It whittles your waist, tones the obliques and melts away those muffin tops. It is also an effective strength move for targeting your abdominals and your arms.
- Get down into the standard plank position. Keep your hands under your shoulders and your abs engaged. You can also get down on your forearms if you want to.
- Now lift your right side and get into the side plank. Balance yourself on your left hand and foot. Extend that right arm straight up towards the sky.
- Now roll back into the plank position and then roll into the side plank on the other side.
- Come back into the plank position. This was one rep. Do 10 reps.
- If you want to intensify this move, you can add a push-up after each rep.
Burpees are also called Squat Trusts, and they offer high-intensity cardio moves. Burpees are especially effective in getting rid of the belly fat.
- Stand straight with your abs tight. Bend forward and place your hands on the floor.
- Now pressing your hands into the floor, jump your feet back to get in the plank position.
- Now jump back into the forward bend position.
- Straighten up and do it again.
9. Bridge With Leg Lift
This exercise targets your gluteus muscles to tighten and perk up your butt and give it a nice lift. At the same time, it also strengthens the core muscles. By adding the leg lift, we intensify the work that our hamstrings do, thus targeting that cellulite effectively.
- Lie down on the floor on your back with your feet placed on the floor.
- Lift your hips up until you get a straight line between your shoulders and knees.
- Lift one leg straight up as much as you can.
- Now lower your butt towards the floor and lift up again. Do not lower that lifted leg and do not let your butt touch the floor.
10. One-leg Triceps Dips
Triceps Dips target the backs of your upper arms that are your triceps. It also works on the lower abs and tones the butt.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent, and feet placed firmly on the ground.
- Place your hands behind your hips on the floor. Make sure your fingers are pointing towards you.
- Lift your butt up until you get a straight line from shoulders to the knees. This is your inverted table top position.
- Now lift one leg and straighten it.
- Now, dip your butt down towards the floor by bending your elbows and lift back up. This is one rep.
- Do 12-15 reps.
Walking is one fun activity that is best enjoyed outdoors. However, the weather does tend to be lousy sometimes, and during such times, you have to adapt to the situation. Walk up and down a flight of stairs if you have one. Otherwise, you can take a circular path and trace it around the house. If you don’t have a lot of space at home, think about getting a treadmill and going for a walk on it.
12. Leg Lifts
Leg Lifts are excellent for building your leg muscles. They will help you tone your thighs and strengthen your calves as well. If keeping your legs straight is straining, you can consider bending them slightly.
Crunches are the best exercises for building and toning your abs. Getting into the proper position is not so important when you are just starting out. As long you feel your muscles stretch, you will derive some benefit from the exercise.
14. Jogging On The Spot
Jogging is one of the best fun exercises to do at home. You can either jog in place or jog on a treadmill if you have one. What’s more, you can even tune into your favorite music or watch your favorite sitcom while you do the routine. All you need is a decent pair of shoes.
Squats are one of the best exercises you can undertake and are quite effective in toning your thighs and lower body. If squatting isn’t an exercise you are keen on, you can even consider sitting down and standing repetitively to mimic the motion. As long as you do some repetitions, you will benefit from this routine.
16. Light Weight Lifting
Don’t get bogged down by the word ‘weight.’ You don’t really have to go and buy those expensively calibrated weights for this routine. Begin with a light weight before you gradually move onto heavy stuff. You can even use a can of peas and gradually move onto milk jugs, detergent bottles, and water jugs.
17. Step Exercises
This is one of the best exercises to perform and is immense fun. You can perform many routines using the staircase at home. You can jump on and jump off the step or even run up and run down quickly.
Perhaps the most exciting and easy exercise on this list, dancing is great fun. Moreover, it is one of the best fun cardio workouts at home and is especially good for your heart. Moreover, dancing makes you happy and lifts your mood.
19. Swaying Tree
A simple, yet effective waist and tummy trimmer, this can be done early in the morning when you feel lazy to move on with your chores. This is also a great warm up to kick off any exercise regimen.
How To Do
Stand with your spine and head straight, thighs and kneecaps pulled up, hands resting along your body, and core sucked in towards the spine.
- Inhale and sweep your hands overhead, aligned with the ears.
- Exhale and twist to your right.
- Hold here for five deep breaths.
- Inhale and come to the center and with the next exhalation, twist to your left.
- Hold here for five deep breaths.
Repetitions: 25 times each side.
20. Flow In Lunges: Virabhadrasana I to Anjaneyasana
Lunges are a great way to tone your inner and outer thighs, and perhaps the simplest among thigh toning exercises too. Just be careful about your aligning. In both the lunges, you need to ensure that the knee is stacked right above the ankle while thigh comes parallel to the floor.
How To Do
- Stand straight with spine erect and hands resting on the hips. Inhale and take your left leg back, toes tucked in.
- Bend your right leg at the knee and stack the knee over the ankle.
- Keep your body weight in the center, spine neutral and lengthened.
- Exhale and place your left knee on the floor and bend backward, pushing the hips down and close to the floor, while sweeping the arms over the head.
- Inhale and lift the knee up and come to high lunge.
- Repeat the process 10 times on one side before moving to the next side.
Repetitions: Two sets of 10 repetitions on each side.
21. Cat Cow Movement
Give your core a dose of good air with this core-focused breathing routine. If you have any knee issues, then make additional cushioning for the knees till you finish the exercise.
How To Do
- Come down on all your fours, keeping the upper torso parallel to the ground.
- Knees should be stretched out to hips width while stacking wrists beneath the shoulders.
- Inhale and lift your chin towards the ceiling, pushing your tummy towards the floor, while you concave your back.
- Exhale and round your back, chin to the chest and navel drawn inward, while the head is down towards the floor.
- This makes one repetition.
Repetitions: Three sets of 20 repetitions, pausing for 15 seconds in between, neutralizing the spine.
22. Downward Facing Dog To Pigeon
This is a whole body toner and opens up your hips and strengthens your pelvic floor. Plus, it strengthens your core, tones back, arms, and thighs too.
How To Do
- Stand straight hands resting along the body.
- Inhale and bend forward, placing the palms flat on either side of the feet.
- Exhale and take your legs backward, one at a time in such a way that your body resembles a stretching dog.
- Hips should move towards the ceiling while heels down to the floor.
- Keep your palms stacked under the shoulders, while the head rests as close as possible to the floor.
- Inhale and lift your right leg up to the sky.
- Place your right knee near your right palm, while the right heel rests close to the left hip.
- Inhale and bend forward, stretching your hands in front of you.
- Exhale and lift your body and balancing yourself on the fingertips, stretch backward.
This is the One-Legged King Pigeon pose [Eka Pada Rajakapotasana]. Inhale, come to the center, and as you exhale, tuck your left toes and take your right leg back into Downward facing dog pose.
Repetitions: Two sets of seven times each, pausing for seven breaths in between the sets.
23. The Swaying Bridge
Strengthen your hips, thighs, and core with a simple moving bridge.
How To Do
- Lie on the mat on your back, knees bent and spread at hip width.
- Let hands rest close to your ankles.
- Inhale and lift your hips up allowing your chest come closer to the chin.
- Press the foot firmly on the floor.
- Exhale and place your hips back.
Repetition: Two sets of 20 repetitions, pausing for five deep breaths in between sets/
The exercise will become a more fun-filled experience when done along with the kids. This is a back strengthener and should be done by all the women to have a smoother menstrual cycle.
How To Do
Lie down on your stomach, feet spread at hip width, and hands stretched out at shoulders.
- Keep your toes extended.
- Inhale and lift your arms, legs, forehead and chest off the ground, keeping toes pointed towards the floor.
- Hold for seven deep breaths.
- Exhale and place your legs, hands, chest, and forehead on the ground.
Repetitions: Two sets of 10 repetitions.
25. Scissor Kicks
Is your sagging tummy troubling you? Why don’t you try these scissor kicks? They are slightly tough, but once you master them, they will become your best friends.
How To Do
Lie down flat on your back, hands resting along the sides, palms placed gently on the floor.
- Engaging your quads, core, and glutes, inhale and swing both legs into the air, making a perpendicular with the floor.
- Exhale and bring your right leg down just close to the floor while the left leg is still high in the air.
- Inhale and lift the right leg up.
- Exhale, bring the left leg down, close to the floor while the right leg is up.
- Inhale and take it back.
- Keep repeating these alternative leg movements in a very quick way, without lifting your hips or upper body off the floor.
Repetitions: Two sets of 30 repetitions with each leg.
26. Moving Bow
This is once again a whole body toning exercise. Please do not attempt this if you have any knee or back injuries.
How To Do
- Lie down on your abdomen, forehead resting on the floor, hands along the sides.
- Inhale and bend your knees bringing them closer to your buttocks.
- Exhale, and hold your ankles with respective hands.
- Inhale and lift your forehead and chest off the ground, pulling the heels away from your buttocks.
- Hold here when you feel the stretch for five deep breaths.
- Exhale and turn to your right, still holding the ankles and pulling the legs away from the body.
- Hold for five deep breaths. Inhale and come to the center.
- Exhale and turn to your left. Hold for five deep breaths. Inhale and come back to the center.
- Release the legs, stretch out, and lie down on your stomach.
Repetitions: 20 repetitions.
So after reading this list of all the amazing exercises that do not need any equipment to train your body, you seriously have no excuses! Get your mat and start working out, you’ll totally love it!
Which is your favorite no-equipment exercise? Share with us right below in the comments section.
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- Top 9 Foam Rollers For Runners - June 8, 2015
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Elemi Essential Oil - May 6, 2015