Are your sinus cavities clogged due to cold? Are they inflamed from a viral infection? If so, then oil pulling can be very effective in clearing the sinus cavity and reducing inflammation.
Wondering how you can do oil pulling to get relief from your sinus infection? Then you must read this post.
What Is Sinus Infection?
Sinus cavities are located around the eye sockets and the nasal cavity. The sinus cavities are usually filled with air. During severe cold, they get filled up with fluid in which bacteria grow and infect. A sinus infection occurs when these fluid-filled cavities are inflamed. Itchy and watery eyes, runny nose, congestion, pressure in the sinus cavities (and around the eyes) and consequent headache are some of the symptoms of a sinus infection. If the symptoms don’t subside with the cold and persist even days after you have recovered from the cold, chances are you have sinusitis or sinus infection.
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an old home remedy that has been practiced in India since the Vedic times (1). What this method essentially involves is taking a tablespoon of oil and swishing it around in your mouth without spitting out. You have to create a vacuum in your mouth to suck and pull the oil through your teeth and gums. Ideally, after 15-20 minutes of swishing the oil inside your mouth and spitting it out, the clear oil is supposed to turn into a cloudy, milky fluid (2). What supposedly happens is that the oil pulls out all the toxins and bacteria that have been living in your sinuses. You are supposed to pull the oil around slowly because going too fast will cramp your jaw easily. Also, don’t forget to spit the oil out in the trash and not the sink because that can choke the pipe or drain (and also pour harmful bacteria down your sink). You can wash your mouth or even brush afterwards to get rid of the greasy feeling in your mouth. Oil pulling once every alternate day should be sufficient.
Which Oil Is Suitable?
There are various oils that you can try for oil pulling:
1. Sesame Oil
This is the traditional choice for oil pulling. It clears the teeth and gums well and reduces the chances of oral infection. It definitely helps in clearing the clogged sinuses. However, it has one flaw – it is full of omega 6 fatty acids. This skews the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acid balance.
2. Coconut Oil
Have you ever used coconut oil pulling for sinus infections? It has the same sinus clearing benefits as sesame oil, but its added advantage is that it is full of omega 3 fatty acids instead of the omega 6.
3. Olive Oil
It is also a very healthy oil that clears sinuses. It even helps in cleaning the teeth and gums. Some have even reported better hair and nail growth.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling For Sinus Infection
Studies suggest that oil pulling has a number of benefits.
- The oil pulling method helps by clearing the toxins from your sinus. The antibacterial and antiviral properties of oil also help in speeding up this process.
- Those who suffer from various forms of allergy can benefit from oil pulling as this method draws out the allergens that trigger the reaction.
- Other positive results of oil pulling are clean gums and whiter teeth. Even those who have sensitive teeth have proclaimed that oil pulling has benefitted them.
- External skin issues like psoriasis, eczema and acne are also cured to some extent by oil pulling.
- If you have tooth pain or any sort of infectious problem in the gums, oil pulling can help.
With so many benefits, oil pulling is something you should try, especially if you suffer from sinus related symptoms. Try oil pulling today, and you will never reach out for a vial of pills again!
How has this post helped you? Tell us by commenting in the box below.
- Is Oil Pulling An Effective Remedy For Acne?
- Is Oil Pulling Effective For Weight Loss?
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Oil Pulling With Coconut Oil
- 5 Simple Steps To Do Oil Pulling The Right Way
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015
- 15 Best Selling Brands Of Rose Perfumes, Fragrances And Scents - August 19, 2015