Padangusthasana / Big Toe Pose – How To Do And What Are Its Benefits?
Yoga has been an ancient practice in our country and across the globe. It has long lasting effects as well. A complete yoga class offers you everything from basic warm up asanas/ exercises, yoga poses (standing, sitting, twists and backbends), pranayama and meditation. Practicing all of these things regularly helps you to stay fit and healthy.
Basic/ beginners yoga poses can be practiced by one and all irrespective of you age. Beginners’ yoga asanas are the ones which are often recommended to those who are new to the world of yoga. As a beginner you should usually start your yoga studies with basic warm ups which help you in increasing your body’s flexibility.
Padangusthasana, in simple words, is known as the big toe pose. This is a simple yet effective backbend pose which deals with stretching your body in the forward direction.
To get started with this asana, follow the simple and easy steps mentioned below:
1. Stand on the floor in Tadasana pose. Stretch your arms and shoulders. The distance between both your legs should be at least 6 inches.
2. Keep your legs straight. Do not bend them from the knees.
3. Now exhale and bend your body downwards from your waist.
4. Try to touch your toes with your fingers. Hold your toes and stretch your body. Also keep your knees straight.
5. While you bend your body and touch your toes with your fingers, close your eyes and count your breath.
6. Remain steady in this position for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and then release.
7. Repeat this activity 10 times every day.
Contraindications to Padangusthasana
Padangusthasana being a beginner’s pose does not have too many contraindications to it. People who are suffering from other problems like knee injury or knee pain, joint-pain, or any injury or pain related to legs are not allowed to practice this asana. In case if you face any headache related issues, then you should not practice this yoga asana. People who are suffering from any kind of back injury or back pain are not supposed to practice this asana. Apart from this, if you have any problems, then you must consult your doctor or a qualified yoga teacher for further guidance. Always remember, do not try to stretch your body beyond its capacity. Do as much as you can.
[ Read: Rajakapotasana ]
Benefits of Padangusthasana
Padangusthasana toe to hand pose might look easy to perform, yet it offers numerous benefits to those who practice it regularly.
- Practicing this asana regularly gives a good stretch to your spine, upper back, lower back, thighs, shoulders, arms and your chest.
- Padangusthasana is very beneficial as it improves the blood circulation in your body and also helps in enhancing digestion.
- This yoga asana also helps in keeping you away from knee pain or joint related issues if you practice it regularly.
- Padangusthasana also helps in improving your body posture. It even acts as a relaxing pose while practicing intense and advanced asanas.
- This asana helps to release tension in the hip region thus keeping you away from hip related problems.
If you are new to the world of yoga, then this is the right asana for you. Begin your yoga practice with Padangusthasana and check out the wonderful difference it leaves behind on your body! Yoga definitely helps you in staying fit and rejuvenated. Do not forget to leave us a comment too!!