If you suffer from pancreatitis, you probably already know that along with medical treatment, you need to make drastic changes in your diet as well. If you don’t take proper care, you will probably end up with chronic pancreatitis, which will cause even more pain and discomfort. But what exactly is Pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the Pancreas and is usually very painful. In this condition, the Pancreas release excessive enzymes that begin to ‘digest’ the pancreas itself! In acute cases, the patients are forced to go on a liquid diet. To prevent such a scenario, it is recommended that one starts a pancreatitis diet.
Starting a pancreatitis diet need not be the end of the world for you. In fact, it really is time that you, and everyone else in the world, thought of making healthier choices when it comes to food. A pancreatitis diet is all about healthy eating. A slight change in lifestyle is also required to make sure that you overcome the symptoms of pancreatitis and prevent it from turning into a full-blown chronic version of the illness.
Pancreatitis Diet Plan
Foods to Eat:
If you’re on a pancreatitis diet, you’ll need to keep the food you eat low-fat since the presence of fat in your blood could be the main trigger for your condition. But you have nothing to complain about because nowadays, low-fat foods are available everywhere and they’re all delicious!There are plenty of varieties to choose from, so it’s almost certain that sticking to your diet will not be a problem at all. Here are some choices you could include in your pancreatitis diet:
- Yogurt should be an important part of your daily diet, whether you eat it with your meals or as a light snack when you feel like having something cool and refreshing.
- Veggie soups are great as well. If you love tomato soup, it’s fantastic as it has loads of anti-oxidants.
- Spinach is rich in iron so go ‘Popeye’ on everyone and eat loads of this rich veggie!
- Blueberries are great as they too are rich in anti-oxidants that combat free radicals.
- Red grapes are rich in an anti-oxidant known as resveratrol, which is great for treating pancreatitis.
- Vitamin B is important, so keep foods such as dark leafy veggies, whole grain, etc. in stock.
- Lean meat is a great choice if you have a yearning for some or you could get tofu as a substitute.
- Fluids are a must! Water, juices and soups are a big Yes! Go for these any time of the day.
Foods to Avoid:
There are certain foods that need to be avoided when you have a health condition like pancreatitis. You have foods that are good and those that aren’t. Both are equally important in a diet, so make sure that you remember which foods you should be staying away from.
- White bread, pastas, sugar and other refined foods are a strict no-no for you.
- If you can, you should definitely avoid red meat.
- Keep away from commercial foods that contain trans-fats such as doughnuts, cookies, etc.
- Kick out tea and coffee!
- Fried foods, pizzas, butter, eggs, cheeses and beans should also be avoided at all cost.
- If you smoke cigarettes, kick the habit ASAP!
If you suffer from pancreatitis, you should take small meals throughout the day rather than eating three large ones. It’s easy to do this and you’ll definitely see and feel the change in your body. You’ll have more energy and you’ll feel a lot lighter. With good food and proper planning, you can overcome the symptoms of your condition.
[ Read: Low Residue Diet ]
As you know, before starting on any diet, it’s best to consult your dietician and physician. You may have other conditions that the diet wouldn’t be suitable for, so check to make sure that everything else in your body is okay. Once you’ve done that, go ahead with your diet for pancreatitis and live a healthy life without the symptoms of the condition bothering you.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 5 Incredible Health Benefits Of Granola - September 2, 2015
- 7 Amazing Ways Mandarin Essential Oil Can Benefit You - September 1, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015