Do you hardly get to spend quality time with your spouse? It is no surprise that most of us are running against time. Between hectic schedules and various other commitments, we do not get any quality time to connect on a deeper level. With so much stress being put on health and fitness, the only way that you can get the best of both worlds is partner yoga, or couple yoga. This form of yoga combines the traditional yoga practices into the realm of relationship, allowing you and your spouse to connect on a deeper physical and emotional level. It keeps the chemistry alive in your relationship while also awakening the senses!
Top 10 Partner Yoga Asanas:
These are the top 10 top popular Asanas that are easy to practice and keep the fire burning in a relationship while subtly awakening one’s senses:
1. Boat Pose:
- Sit facing your partner
- Ensure that a gap of 3 feet is maintained between the two of you.
- Now hold each other’s hand.
- Raise your legs as high as you can and balance for a few minutes before returning to your normal sitting position.
- This pose helps in stretching and strengthening your arms, legs, abdomen and shoulders.
2. Forward Bend:
- Start by sitting cross legged in a back to back position
- Reach back and link elbows with your partner.
- Exhale as you lean forward, entering into a forward bend and pulling your partner into a gentle back bend.
- This is an easy technique to master.
3. Bow Pose:
Though this may seem like a complex partner yoga pose, you’ll be able to do it easily after a few attempts.
- Ask your husband to lie flat on his back on the floor mat.
- Ask him to bend his knees while you take position and sit on his soles holding his ankles for support.
- Now your husband must raise his legs up in the air so that his hips are in a straight line with his ankles.
- This pose helps you, sitting on the top, to stretch your torso, and shoulders, while your husband below exercises his lower back as well as legs.
4. Face to Face Twist:
- This partner yoga pose is performed sitting face to face, as the name suggests, with knees touching each other.
- Place your right arm behind your back with your forearm parallel to the floor.
- Now reach for your left hand and grasp your partner’s right hand.
- Be mindful of your right shoulder while doing this as you pull the left hand of your partner into a twist.
- This posture massages your abdominal organs and improves blood circulation.
5. Child’s Pose:
- Ask your partner to lie on your back so that both your spines are aligned and touching.
- Now ask your partner to extend their arms upwards or out to the sides, with legs extended downwards.
- This engages your abs and strengthens your partner’s spine!
6. Butterfly Supported Forward Bend:
- The partner in the bottom performs the butterfly pose and leans as far forward as he can.
- The other partner gets into the forward bend pose and rests the head on partner’s upper back.
- This pose improves agility and helps calm the nerves.
7. Camel Pose:
- To perform this partner yoga pose, face your partner and allow your bodies to touch.
- Hold on to each other’s arms and gently arch your backs.
- The lower legs still touching, do not take hold of your ankles as you would in the regular camel pose.
- This strengthens ankles, thighs and groins.
8. Double Plow:
- First lie on the floor with your heads touching.
- Now extend your arms over your head and hold each other’s shoulder firmly.
- Raise your legs towards the ceiling and lift your hips off the floor.
- Move your legs slowly towards your partner’s hip.
- Stay in this position for a few minutes before using your core strength to slowly lower your body to the ground.
- This posture is said to calm the brain and relieve the symptoms of menopause.
9. Sideways Bend:
- To practice this asana, first sit in the easy pose that is cross legged and back to back.
- Now from easy pose, touch hands with your partner on each side.
- Raise your hands together and stretch them up towards the ceiling.
- Now gently lean to the right side and lower the hands on that side to gain support from the floor.
- Gently reach the higher hands up and move towards the direction you are leaning.
10. Side by Side Sun Salutation:
If you find the above asanas a tad difficult, start with simpler exercises. You could try something as simple as the sun salutation standing beside each other. Once your breathing and movements are in sync with one another, you can try more complex asanas.
Benefits of Partner Yoga:
These simple partner yoga poses are easy to master and can be performed anywhere, even at home or your garden. It does not require the use of expensive exercising gear!
Try performing partner yoga, as it will help you face challenges and work as a team! Partner yoga has all the benefits of normal yoga exercises. It calms the mind and improves stamina levels. If you enjoy spending time with your partner trying out new things, partner yoga is sure to delight you as much as a romantic candle light dinner!
[ Read: Yoga Poses For Beauty ]
These asanas help you open up your body better as your partner will help you at every move. Partner yoga involves intricate steps that help improve body balance, posture and alignment. These poses also help in increasing creativity, improve attention span and build trust between the two partners. Yoga in itself has profound benefits. Partner yoga, apart from helping in improving your breathing and general health, also helps relieve stress and tension. It also promotes intimacy in a relationship.
Did you find this article helpful? Do share your views with us in the comments section below!
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015
- 15 Best Selling Brands Of Rose Perfumes, Fragrances And Scents - August 19, 2015