Winter is that time of the year, when the fall in the temperature takes a serious toll on your health. Your skin for one becomes dry and dead skin cells start surfacing. This drying is not limited to the skin, it is also a common problem with the scalp. The dead cells from the scalp start forming tiny flakes and start falling off. So the white flakes on your shoulder in winter may not necessarily be snowflakes, they could be dandruff too!!
The cold winter air that raids the skin and scalp of moisture is responsible for the dandruff you have been experiencing this season. It is not enough to stay in places that have efficient heaters to make it feel like a desert, the heat artificially produced by the heaters combined with the chilly winter air is extremely harsh on your scalp. Which is why dandruff in winter is a common issue.
How To Avoid Dandruff In Winter:
Here are some remedies for dandruff in winter:
1. For starters, you can use a gentle moisturizing conditioner. It is extremely essential that you maintain enough moisture on your scalp and not let it get dry and itchy. If you want to go herbal, make sure you test for allergies by using a very small quantity the first time. Some people are allergic to some herbs and can develop itching and redness of the scalp.
2. Tea tree oil and shampoos, conditioners and other hair care products made out of tea tree oil work exceptionally well to restore the moisture of your scalp and prevent dandruff. You can also massage in some tea tree oil onto your scalp twice a week and see a remarkable improvement.
[Read:Does Stress Cause Dandruff]
3. An adequate amount of vitamin B and Zinc in your diet is of great importance for maintaining good scalp health. So are omega 3 fatty acids! These are usually found in walnuts, eggs, leafy vegetables etc. If you are not too fond of greens, make a salad and top it with some mayonnaise, to make it more interesting and sumptuous.
4. A humidifier might come in handy as it controls the humidity in the air and your skin has enough moisture to live on. Make sure you clean the humidifier every 2-3 days. When left unattended, these units become a breeding ground for mildew and other bacteria, and can cause other allergies and infections!
5. Do not use too many hair styling products during winter since the skin and scalp are already dry and the hair is deprived of moisture, they can get easily affected by chemicals and this might result in itchy scalp which in turn gives rise to dandruff.
[Read:Fenugreek Help Cure Dandruff]
6. Avoid washing hair too many times, as this will dry your scalp and can lead to dandruff. Avoid using scalding hot water on your head; instead use lukewarm water or the coolest water you can stand to wash your hair, to keep dandruff at bay.
7. Gently massage the shampoo or conditioner you use onto your scalp. Do not be harsh, this can easily cause rashes and rip the moisture off the scalp. Hair colour can also affect the scalp and cause dandruff, avoid colouring hair in winter or make sure you pick a hair colour that ensures to maintain the moisture levels of your hair.
8. Warm olive oil or coconut oil and give yourself a gentle scalp massage with the warm oil and rinse it off after an hour or so. Use mild shampoos and conditioners. Add a few drops of aromatic oil such as lavender oil to boost the therapy. Not only will you be rid of dandruff in no time, you will also have strong luscious hair for which you will be complimented.
[Read:Top 10 Dandruff Medicines]
9. The shampoos that are meant to remove dandruff usually direct you to keep them on for 2, 3 or 5 minutes before you wash them off, for best results. Check the instructions thoroughly and proceed to reap its benefits.
10. Dandruff can be caused by extreme stress as well as not properly washing off hair care products. In the former case, make sure you take enough rest and eat healthy. In the latter case, ensure you rinse your scalp thoroughly to ensure there are no mousse or hair styling products left behind. Rinse your hair with lemon water, as it helps in combating dandruff!
With the above tips, be prepared to combat dandruff this winter and also enjoy lush, gorgeous, strong hair and stand apart from the rest.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda? - July 20, 2017
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015
- 15 Best Selling Brands Of Rose Perfumes, Fragrances And Scents - August 19, 2015