Do you have non-existent nails?
If you do, then you should probably consider getting acrylic nails. There might have been occasions where you wanted to do some pretty nail or wanted to attend a wedding with attractive nails. Watching your sister getting her beautifully long nails done must be painful, as you often wonder why you somehow ended up in the genetic cesspool. Thankfully, it’s the 21st century, and you no longer have to feel that way. Get acrylics! Everyone’s doing it!
Make sure that you get them done at the salon, though! It’s not something that can easily be done at home. Unless you’re a manicurist or you have trained in doing acrylic nails, it is suggested that you get them done from an expert.
These are the steps that they follow.
How To Apply Acrylic Nails?
Step 1: Prep The Nails
Always start with clean nails. Providing a smooth base helps the acrylic material to go on better. Remove any nail polish and push back the cuticles.
Step 2: Trim Nails
The manicurist will probably trim and file your nails while leaving a few millimeters so that the nail extension can be stuck.
Step 3: Buff Nails
She will then buff your nails so that the surface of your nails are a little rough. This rough surface makes it easy for the acrylic to stick to.
Step 4: Nail Primer
A nail primer would be used to remove any remaining moisture and oil from the nails. Use a cotton swab with acetone to clean the nails and then apply the primer over the nails. Some of the primers contain an acid called methacrylic acid. Be careful as it may burn. You can also use the acid-free primer if you are unsure.
Step 5: Application Of The Tips
This is where the actual application begins. The tips would be filed according to your nails and will be applied with glue to your real nails. The glue should not touch your skin. The nail can be cut and sized according to your specifications.
Step 6: Prepare The Acrylic Material
The acrylic liquid would be poured into an acrylic dish and some of the powder into another dish.
A word of caution: The fumes are strong while using acrylics so this should be done in a wellventilated area.
Step 7: Pick Up the Acrylic With The Brush
The manicurist will dip the brush all the way down into the liquid. Make sure there are no bubbles. She will brush any excess liquid against the side of the dish to prevent it from dripping. Then, she will run the brush against the powder so that you get a moist ball. This is the material which is to be spread on the nail.
Step 8: Apply The Mixture
Without touching the cuticles, she will apply the mixture over your nails and smoothen it out as it is being applied. The transition between the tip and your natural nails should be smooth. Apply another layer if required.
[ Read: How To Apply Nail Extensions Perfectly? ]
Step 9: Let It Dry
It should take about ten minutes to dry. Once this is done, buff and file the nails to make them smooth.
Step 10: Finishing Touches
Your nails are ready to be painted!
There are a few things you would want to consider before getting acrylic nails. Let’s check them out.
Things You Must Remember When Getting Acrylic Nails
- Keep Your Nails Healthy: It is extremely important to keep cleaning your nails. Especially since there is an entire layer covering your real nails. Make it a point to regularly clean your acrylic nails. Use a soft bristle brush under and around the nails to clean hard dirt. Then use a cotton swab with some alcohol to clean around the cuticles and under the nails.
- Find Yourself A Regular Manicurist: Finding a manicurist that you can regularly go to makes life so much easier. She will understand your concerns, and since she knows your nails and your problems, you can save time trying to explain.
- Keep Your Nails Dry: Whenever you wash your hands, dry them completely! If you leave them wet, there are chances for your acrylic layers to lift and also a fungal growth! Wear gloves if you are doing the dishes.
- Oil Your Nails: Dry nails can break easily. Use a neutral oil such as rapeseed oil to keep them moisturized.
Pros And Cons of Acrylic Nails
- Acrylic extensions are suitable for women with brittle and weak nails.
- Acrylics are good for women, who have a bad habit of chewing their nails as they are very hard to chew off. What better way to ward off an unwanted habit than making the damaged area as pretty as possible?
- Acrylic nails have been around longer than their counterparts, so, most nail technicians at salons and spas have a lot of experience about how to apply and remove these nails. You don’t have to worry about side effects as such.
- They are cheaper than their counterparts. The lighter on the wallet, the more the happiness. Agree?
- The primary benefit of acrylic nails is that if one of them breaks, it can be fixed at home by using the right tools. You don’t have to spend a bomb again to get them rectified.
- They last longer than gel nails.
- They can damage your natural nail underneath, and it can be hard to grow out your nails with acrylic over them. Also, damaged nail is a breeding ground for fungus and bacteria.
- As Acrylic nails are artificial enhancements, they present a fake look. You need a very talented technician who can apply your acrylics as close to natural ones.
- Application of acrylic nails involves the use of strong chemicals and formation of fumes. Some women may have an allergy to such substances.
- You need refilling every month which means extra expenditure.
Although acrylic nails have their cons, they also have their pros too. If you want to be able to have long nails, but find it difficult to grow them naturally, then this is probably a very attractive option for you. I understand that if you are used to having short nails, then it will likely be very distracting at first when you get acrylic ones, but I am sure you will eventually get used to it. Well, don’t shy away to try them out! Do let us know how it turned out for you!
- Simple Method To Remove Acrylic Nails At Your Home
- Top 10 Nail Art Spas in Mumbai
- How To Shape Your Nails Perfectly?
- Different Types Of Beautiful Nail Art Stickers
- How To Do French Manicure At Home?
Latest posts by Komal Kaviliga (see all)
- 20 Latest Light Weight Gold Necklace Designs For Women - January 24, 2017
- 10 Ways Winter Is Ruining Your Skin - December 16, 2016
- #beautyhacks: 7 Beauty Experts Share Their Secret Weapon For Surviving Winter - December 14, 2016
- Beauty Redefined – Look Your Dazzling Best This Season With EyeCatchers - December 12, 2016
- Louis Vuitton Bags That Will Make You The Center Of Attraction - November 30, 2016