Should women drink protein shakes for weight loss? Absolutely yes! You will not become muscular like men because your body is not designed that way. Consuming protein shake will boost metabolism, keep away hunger pangs, and improve muscle strength. But remember, protein shakes are recommended only if you are not getting enough protein from whole foods. So, here is all you need to know about protein shakes for weight loss, protein shake recipes and best brands, the best time to have them and much more. Let’s hop right in!
What Are Protein Shakes?
Humans need 0.8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. But research shows that most of us lack an adequate amount of protein – meaning the dietary protein intake is not satisfactory. Moreover, you may not find the time to cook a proper meal due to the fast-paced lifestyle. But our body needs protein to function properly and efficiently. This factor has made protein shakes/supplements popular. What is it? Well, a protein shake is exactly what the name says – it’s protein! To be more specific – protein powders of whey, soy, casein, or hemp protein containing the essential amino acids are mixed with water, milk, or added to breakfast bowl or smoothies. Now, let’s find out how protein shakes can help you lose weight.
How Protein Shakes Aid Weight Loss?
If you are not getting the required daily dose of protein, you must take protein shakes to help your body build muscle, hormones, and enzymes to function properly, maintain proper cellular and biochemical functions, produce immune system components, and help in growth, muscle contraction, wound healing, and improve cardiovascular functions. Now, all these functions are directly or indirectly related to weight loss. Directly, proteins take more energy to metabolize thereby creating a negative energy balance and proteins increase satiety and reduce the ghrelin (hunger hormone) levels, keeping your hunger pangs at bay. Indirectly, proteins aid weight loss by helping in gluconeogenesis thereby controlling blood sugar levels. Proteins also aid weight loss by synthesizing biomolecules that take part in various functions of the cells and the body. But the next big question is, when to drink the protein shakes to lose weight? Let’s find out.
When To Drink Protein Shakes For Weight Loss?
The best time to drink a protein shake is the time when you are more prone to snacking. For example, if you like to snack before lunch or during the evenings, drinking a protein shake instead, will help you shed the flab. Some people also consume protein shake post-workout to help rebuild the muscles. So, if your workout routine is rigorous and you are looking at replenishing protein in the muscles, you can have a protein shake after exercising. Now, there are many protein shakes available in the market that are recommended by fitness experts. Here’s a list of protein shakes that you can try.
10 Protein Shakes For Weight Loss
1. Gold Standard 100% Whey
It is one of the best protein powders available in the market. It contains 24g of whey protein, 1g carb, and 1g fat per serving. It also contains 5.5g branched chain amino acids (BCAA) and more than 4 g of glutamine and glutamic acid per one serving. You can drink it first thing in the morning, post-workout, or just as a meal replacement. Make sure to mix it with water or milk according to the directions on the label.
2. Pro JYM
The next most recommended protein powder for weight loss and building muscle is Pro JYM. Each serving of Pro JYM gives 24g best quality protein and contains high-quality whey-protein, micellar casein, egg albumin, and milk isolate protein. If you are looking for a protein powder that helps you build muscle and tone up, you must get Pro JYM.
Want to improve your muscle performance or want to prepare yourself for an upcoming competition? Go for Nitro-Tech protein powder. It contains whey protein and is enriched with creatine and essential amino acids. It helps in speedy recovery and prevents fatigue and muscle soreness. It is best to drink it post-workout.
4. Gold Standard 100% Casein
Calcium is essential for women and this protein powder, Gold Standard 100 % casein, provides you with 60% of daily value of calcium. It also provides 24g slow digesting micellar casein protein, 5g natural BCAA, and 5g glutamine and glutamic acid. You can drink this in between meals if you have a tendency to snack at odd times.
Syntha-6 is a unique blend of fast, medium, and slow digesting proteins and it also gives 5g of fiber per serving. It also contains BCAAs, peptides, nonessential amino acids, and Glutamine. Drink it post workout as it helps in muscle recovery and is also aspartame-free.
6. Skinnygirl Protein Shake
7. Orgain Vegan Nutritional Shake
Want to try a delicious dairy-free, GMO-free, and a gluten-free protein shake? Try Orgain Vegan Nutritional Shake. It provides 16g protein per serving – the protein being extracted from flax, chia, hemp, organic brown rice, and organic fruit and veggies. It is a great protein supplement and can be used as a meal replacement option.
8. Odwalla Strawberry Protein Shake
Odwalla Strawberry Protein Shake provides a whopping 25g protein, 1g fat, 5mg carbs, 80% calcium, 20% iron, and 50% zinc per serving. So, you will not only build lean muscle mass but also be able to increase bone strength, improve blood count, etc.
9. Iconic Lean Protein Shake
This grass-fed protein drink provides 20g protein and 4g fiber per serving. This is a non-GMO, gluten-free, lactose-free, soy-free, artificial ingredient-free, and is sweetened with fair-trade organic blue algae.
10. Muscle Milk Organic Non-Dairy Protein Shake
Provide your body with high-quality organic protein by drinking Muscle Milk Organic Non-Dairy Protein Shake.It provides 20g protein, which is free of gluten and soy and helps build muscle mass and strength post-workout. This is also low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
*Subject to Availability
Now, if drinking protein powders or protein shakes are not your thing then you can try making protein shakes at home. Here are few recipes for you to try.
5 Yummy Homemade Protein Shake Recipes
11. Strawberry, Chia, Almond Milk
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
How To Prepare
- Blend the strawberries with almond milk and chia seeds.
- Drink it with breakfast or post workout.
[ Read: Benefits Of Strawberries ]
12. Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons of melted dark chocolate
How To Prepare
- Blend all the ingredients.
- Add a little milk if the blend is too thick.
- Pour it into a glass and enjoy the chocolate-loaded feast!
13. Raw Egg, Milk, Honey
- 1 raw egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
How To Prepare
- Mix egg white, milk, and honey.
- Drink it before or after working out.
14. Oats And Berry
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 4 blueberries
- 5 strawberries
- 4 blackberries
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
How To Prepare
- Blitz all the ingredients to make a delicious protein smoothie.
[ Read: Benefits Of Oats ]
15. Yogurt, Kiwi, Flaxseed
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup kiwi
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
How To Prepare
- Blend yogurt, kiwi, ground flaxseeds, and honey together to make a thick protein shake.
These delicious homemade protein shakes and the protein powders will help you in many different ways for weight loss. Want to know how? Read below.
Benefits Of Protein Shakes For Weight Loss
- Protein shakes help burn calories by building muscle and boosting the metabolism.
- Proteins are a great replacement for bad carbs thereby preventing blood sugar spikes.
- Protein shakes help increase satiety and keeps you from eating junk.
- Protein shakes help reduce the waistline and helps burn belly fat.
- It is best the meal replacement option for those who do not have time to cook.
Now, let us find out how else you can add protein to your diet?
How To Make Your Diet Protein-Rich?
Here are few tips on how to make your diet rich in protein.
Tip#1 – Include a source of protein in every meal.
Tip#2 – Add nuts and seeds to your diet.
Tip#3 – If you are a vegetarian or vegan, drink vegan protein shakes.
Tip#4 – Try different recipes to make your protein-rich food more fun and innovative.
Well, now we have almost come to an end – just one thing. Are there any side effects of protein shakes? Find out below.
Protein Shake Side Effects
- Some people drink protein shake even when they are on high protein diet, i.e. they get enough protein from whole foods. In this case, they may damage the kidneys in the long run and may experience painful joints.
- You may suffer from digestive problems.
- If you do not exercise regularly and eat well, you will start looking bulky.
- You may experience hair loss if your diet becomes dependent only on protein shakes.
- Hormonal balance may get disrupted.
- Drinking too much protein shake may damage your liver.
- Protein shakes may have a negative interaction with a few drugs.
To conclude, protein shakes are great when it comes to weight loss. But you must first understand if your body needs a protein shake at all. Moreover, you must work out and eat healthily in the right proportion to help protein shake do its work. Also, do not make protein shakes your only diet. Keeping these points in mind, go ahead and drink protein shakes to lose that flab quicker that you can ever imagine. Cheers!
- 10 Healthy Homemade Protein Shake Recipes
- 10 Best Protein Shakes For Building Muscles
- 24 Amazing Benefits Of Whey Protein For Skin, Hair And Health
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- 12 Best Sciatica Exercises And Stretches For Pain Relief - June 14, 2018
- 10 Best Plantar Fasciitis Exercises To Get Relief From Heel Pain - June 13, 2018
- Revealed! ‘Precious’ Star Gabourey Sidibe’s Stunning Weight Loss Secrets - June 12, 2018
- Soft Food Diet – What Is It, Foods To Eat, And Recipes - June 12, 2018
- Pilates For Beginners – What Is It, How To Do, And Benefits - June 12, 2018