Do you stay awake at night because of a backache? Do you always have to be cautious about your movements and as a result miss out on the fun activities? You can probably relate to these situations if you are suffering from scoliosis.
Believe it or not, this spinal deformity that causes so much pain will disappear like magic with regular exercise and by staying active. Even the doctors nowadays recommend exercises to treat scoliosis with no side effects.
Having second thoughts? Why don’t you give it a read and see why we highly support exercises to cure scoliosis.
Why Exercises for Scoliosis ?
Exercise is the best way to strengthen and straighten the physical posture and will avoid curvature on one side. But when it comes to scoliosis you have to be a little more mindful about the exercises you choose to do.
So, let me first tell you about the typical scoliosis treatments that are not very fruitful. Breathing exercise like taking deep breaths can give you temporary relief but is not an effective remedy. Yoga, which does help to make the posture stiff and give the muscles some balance, is not the go-to solution in case of scoliosis. Finally, scoliosis bracing is also a temporary solution, as the spinal curve can reappear when you stop wearing the brace.
Good news is, there are non-surgical treatments available for scoliosis. These tested exercises will help rectify your spinal deformity. You can do these exercises either lying down or stand up with the support of a wall. Orthopedic surgeons often advise patients to do these exercises regularly to benefit the most.
So without much ado, let’s find out which exercises will best help treat scoliosis and how to do them correctly.
Top 10 Scoliosis Exercises
1. Bird Dog Stretching
- Take a gym ball and lie on your tummy on the ball and support your body with your toes.
- Now, lift your left leg up and right hand up. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Put down your left leg and right hand.
- Now, lift your right leg up and left hand up. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Repeat this 10 times.
It’s the starting point of the Scoliosis exercise regime. This can be done lying down and also standing with the support of a wall. It helps in building strength and posture. This gives a boost to the resistance power of the patient. Here are the steps to do it correctly.
- Lie down flat on your back and fold your knees.
- Take a small gym ball and keep it between your knees.
- Keep your palms on the side.
- Now, gently push your hips up to lift your mid-body. Hold for 3 seconds.
- Lower down and exhale.
- Repeat this 10 times.
3. Triceps Raise or Row
Best known as a row raise, but in colloquial language a tricep raise, it helps to work the muscle and maintains support for the trunk. Free weights are best suited to perform this exercise but if needed, an additional assistance, the machine forms a better mode. During this course, the best way to choose your form will depend on the challenges you face while initially undergoing treatment, as then one can determine which mode will help attain satisfactory results. Here is what you should do.
- Sit on a gym ball with your legs shoulder width apart.
- Take a weight in your right hand and lift it above your head.
- Support your right hand with your left hand.
- Now, bend your right elbow and push your right forearm down.
- And then pull your right forearm up and exhale.
- Repeat this for 10 times.
- Do this with your left hand as well.
4. Hip Roll & Bridge
Hip Roll and Bridge as an exercise inclines one’s pelvis area – raising your vertebrae to form a full circle, and gives movements to the hip which is a must during Scoliosis. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to do it.
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees and tuck in.
- Support your body by placing your arms away from your body and palm facing down.
- Now, roll your pelvis region to the left and the right.
- Repeat this 20 times.
[ Read: Height Increasing Exercises ]
- Lie down facing the ground, bend your elbows, and support your body with your toes.
- Squeeze your abs in and hold this position for 5 seconds.
- Rest and breathe in and out.
- Repeat these steps for 10 times.
6. Spine Release
[ Read: Aerobic Exercise at Home for Stomach ]
8. Breathing Exercise
Breathing in the right posture helps blood circulation to develop muscles that fluctuate in the right motion and also a cordial motion with the heart beats.
[ Read: Exercise for Biceps ]
9. Stretch Up
10. Schroth Method
The Schroth Method is one of the best innovations from Germany and has helped many as cure from this dreadful condition.
Caveat: Please consult your doctor before practicing these exercises. Only certain types of curves can be cured by these exercises while others require different procedures.
Latest posts by Khushboo Mehta (see all)
- 50 Red Carpet Hairstyles - November 7, 2013
- Top 10 Swimming Exercises And Their Benefits - November 6, 2013
- Top 10 Vigorous Exercises To Burn Calories Fast - October 30, 2013
- Top 10 SLS Free Shampoos Available In India - October 11, 2013
- Top 10 Greek Hairstyles That You Can Try Right Now - October 4, 2013