Do you know that the licorice root extract is not just a flavouring agent? It has several health benefits and used in a number of therapies too. A large number of home remedies are associated with licorice root extract. However, it is necessary to know about the side effects and consequences of the wonder herb to use it safely!
Let’s have a look at the Side Effects Of Licorice Root Extract:
Naturopaths and herbalists may recommend licorice root extract for treating various ailments. However, licorice root extract is known to cause serious side effects. Licorice root contains a compound called glycyrrhizic acid, which is responsible for its many side effects. Some of the licorice side effects are:
[ Read: Side Effects Of Tamarind ]
1. Hormonal Imbalance:
Licorice root extract is responsible for reduced testosterone in men. Licorice also affects women by increasing the estrogen and prolactin level. This may affect the reproductive organs or affect the sexual desire in certain individuals.
2. Allergic Reactions:
Some individuals are allergic to licorice root extract and may cause side effects. Those who are allergic to legumes or peas should strictly avoid using licorice.
3. Interferes With Vision:
Vision problems are observed in individuals using licorice root extract. It may cause blurred vision or even loss of vision in some cases. Hence one should beware of this licorice side effect.
[ Read: Side Effects Of Avocados ]
4. Weight Changes:
Licorice root extract is responsible for both weight gain as well as weight loss. It is possible that licorice affects the hormones related to metabolism and appetite showing different signs in various individuals.
5. Causes Chemical And Electrolyte Imbalance In The Body:
Licorice root extract interferes with the chemicals and hormones in the body and adversely affect their balance. This leads to electrolyte imbalance by disrupting the sodium and potassium balance in the body.
6. Drug Interaction:
Licorice root extract interacts with medications for blood pressure, insulin, diuretics and steroid medications.
7. Interferes With Pregnancy:
Licorice root extract should be strictly avoided by pregnant women and females who are trying to conceive.
8. Affects Fertility:
Licorice root extract seriously affects the hormones. It adversely affects fertility and harmful for both the mother and the baby.
9. Affects Blood Pressure Level:
Licorice root extract adversely affects the blood pressure level. Hence it should be strictly avoided by people suffering from high blood pressure.
10. Other Side Effects:
This wonder herb can also cause muscular cramps and heart problems. If you already have a heart issue, steer clear of licorice!
Certain herbal products contain licorice in deglycyrrhizinated form. This reduces the chances of serious side effects. The label of such products shows the abbreviation “DGL” on the label. This indicates that the product uses deglycyrrhizinated licorice extract. Such products are considered safer to use. Such products should not be self-administered. Always seek medical advice for using any kind of herbal products containing licorice extract.
Uses Of Licorice Root Extract:
But all is not bad with licorice! Research shows that deglycyrrhizinated licorice root extract promotes and helps to maintain healthy intestinal flora and stomach lining. Licorice is found to play a role in the treatment of peptic ulcers. Licorice root extract is used for various ailments and conditions. It soothes cough, reduces inflammation of stomach and heals sores. Licorice is a potent antiviral agent which can be used for treatment of herpes and flu. Licorice has so many uses that it is used in several therapies and treatments.
[ Read: Side Effects Of Sesame Seeds ]
- Anti-inflammatory: Licorice root extract has anti-inflammatory properties and used for treating chronic viral hepatitis.
- Treatment Of Respiratory Tract Infections: Licorice root extract can be used for treatment of cough, bronchitis, sore throat and other respiratory tract infections.
- Gastric Treatment: Licorice root extract is used for treating stomach ulcers, heartburn, chronic gastritis, colic and other conditions related to the digestive system.
- Fertility Treatment: Licorice root extract is used along with other herbs to increase fertility in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Herbal Treatment: In combination with other herbs, licorice root extract is also used for treatment of eczema and prostate cancer.
- For Adrenal Glands: Licorice root extract is used with certain other herbs for improving adrenal gland function.
- Other Ailments: Licorice root extract is also used for treatment of liver disorders, osteoarthritis, tuberculosis, malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus, chronic fatigue syndrome and food poisoning.
So keep enjoying the goodness of licorice extract, but with care! Talk to an expert and stay safe!
Do you know of any other side effects of licorice? Share with us in the comments section.
- 27 Amazing Benefits Of Licorice For Skin, Hair And Health
- 22 Amazing Benefits Of Licorice Root Tea For Skin Hair And Health
- 15 Unexpected Side Effects Of Whey Protein
- 10 Unexpected Side Effects Of Royal Jelly
- 9 Unexpected Side Effects Of Fig
Latest posts by Rashmi Vilas (see all)
- 25 Best Foods To Increase Your Stamina - January 23, 2015
- What Is Cosmic Energy Meditation And What Are Its Benefits? - January 19, 2015
- 10 Effective Home Remedies for Sensitive Teeth - September 26, 2014
- 4 Simple Ways To Make Olive Oil Skin Moisturiser - September 25, 2014
- 15 Causes, 5 Symptoms And 4 Treatments For Post Nasal Drip - September 20, 2014