Do you take neem regularly? Then, you would always be at the best of your health, right? Maybe. Or maybe not. Neem might have a number of benefits and advantages. But it does have its own set of side effects. Curious to know more about neem side effects? Delay no more and read on.
What Is Neem?
Neem is a tree whose different parts are used for different medicinal purposes.
- Neem’s leaf is used to treat leprosy, eye ailments, upset stomach, and liver problems.
- The bark is primarily used for malaria, ulcers, and fever.
- The flower is used for reducing bile, controlling phlegm, and treating intestinal worms.
- The fruit is used for treating hemorrhoids, phlegm, wounds, and diabetes.
- Neem twigs are used for cough, urinary disorders, and intestinal worms. They are also used as a replacement for a toothbrush helping maintain oral health.
- The juice of the leaf is one of the most effective toners and astringents. It can also be used to treat lice.
Neem Side Effects
Despite the benefits, neem comes with a number of side effects as well. They are:
1. Death In Infants
The substances present in neem are known to cause symptoms of Reye’s syndrome in infants when exposed to neem oil. It is known to be taken orally, and even the consumption of the smallest dosage can be fatal for infants.
[ Read: Unexpected Side Effects Of Tulsi ]
2. Allergic Reactions
Like mentioned earlier, even though neem is most commonly used for treating allergies and rashes, scientific research claims that neem may elevate the severity of the condition.
Farmers use neem pesticides to cause infertility in the pests, so that they do not multiply. The same tends to happen to those who expose themselves to these pesticides. They are known to disrupt the direction of the sperms and take a toll on the immune system.
One of the most dangerous side effects of neem is miscarriage. In women, over exposure to neem causes the immune system to become hyperactive. This in turn causes the body to reject the sperm cells or throw out the conceived embryo (1).
[ Read: Side Effects Of Bitter Gourd ]
5. Liver And Kidney Damage
One of the serious neem side effects. Due to the natural antioxidant properties of neem, it is known to be beneficial for kidneys and several other bodily organs. When consumed in excess, neem is known to affect the organs thereby even damaging them.
6. Stomach Irritation
Excess inhalation or consumption of neem can cause indigestion or stomach irritation. As a result, the patient’s medical history needs to be taken into consideration before deciding the dosage of neem.
7. Increase In Fatigue
Ayurveda experts advise people suffering from fatigue to avoid even the slightest amount of neem consumption as it has a high chance of increasing the severity of the ailment.
8. Overdrive Of Immune System
Consumption of neem or neem based products boosts the immune system. However, experts advise against the use of heavy doses of neem for patients with ailments. This is one of the most dangerous side effects of neem as it may cause their immune system to go on an overdrive.
9. Low Blood Sugar
Doctors recommend small amounts of neem oil for diabetic patients as it controls the blood sugar levels. But, when taken in excess, the drop might become too extreme causing dizziness, numbness and sometimes even coma.
10. Dangerous For Patients Who Have Undergone Organ Transplant
Patients who have undergone organ transplants are perennially under immunosuppressant medications to keep their own immune system from attacking the new tissues. These patients should stay away from neem as it might act as a boost to the immune system and cause an overdrive.
These are the neem side effects that one should be aware of! Anything in excess can be harmful, and so is the case with neem. Consume it, but with necessary precautions. Do tell us how this post has helped you. You can comment in the box below.
- 10 Serious Side Effects Of Senna Leaves
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Lemon Balm
- 6 Serious Side Effects Of Astragalus
- 10 Side Effects Of Black Cohosh You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Chetana (see all)
- What Happens 10 Minutes Before A Heat Stroke? - December 15, 2015
- Skin Gym Face Fitness For A Younger And Healthy Face - June 25, 2015
- 10 Best Health Benefits Of Chicory Root - June 24, 2015
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida? - June 22, 2015
- 10 Side Effects Of Neem You Should Be Aware Of - June 18, 2015