11 Simple Home Remedies For Treating Dry Skin
Dry skin is one of the most frustrating and common skin problems that each of us face at some point. Pollution, harmful rays and constant weather changes wreak havoc on the skin and make the skin dry and sensitive. When skin becomes dehydrated, it loses its flexibility and becomes cracked, scaly and sometimes itchy.
Dry skin is not a disease and is mainly caused due to external factors. However there might be few cases where dry skin results from internal factors like health conditions or genetic predispositions.
It is very important to treat dry skin as soon as possible because if left untreated, it could open way for all sorts of bacteria to seep in which can eventually lead to dermatitis. Dry skin patches can appear anywhere on the body but are most commonly visible on hands, arms and lower legs. On face, dry skin appears mostly around the areas of mouth, under the eyes and cheeks.
What Are The Causes For Dry Skin?
1. Dry air is the most common reason for dry skin, especially during winter. Dry air strips moisture from the skin and leaves the skin dull and lifeless. Low temperature, low humidity and strong and harsh winds worsen the skin condition.
2. Prolonged exposure to water especially hot water is also a common reason for dry skin. Hot water washes away the natural oils that protect and tighten the skin and dries out the skin.
3. Water deficiency is also a common cause of dry skin as it leads to dehydration of skin.
4. Using soap on skin can also lead to dry skin. Soap, like hot water strips away the skin’s protective oil. Excessive washing of hands with soap can also dry out the skin and in extreme cases cause it to crack and bleed, making way for skin infections. Look for mild soaps or get hold of a good, herbal hand wash or a skin cleanser.
5. Excessive rubbing and scrubbing also dries out the skin as friction strips the oil and increases dryness. Use your hands or a soft scrub instead of scrubber.
6. A number of medicines can have side effect of drying out the skin. These drugs are mostly diuretics for high blood pressure and for acne and other skin conditions like retinoid.
7. Medical condition like eczema, psoriasis and diabetes can also cause dry skin. Fluctuation in glucose level can lead to dehydration which can in turn cause dry skin. Thyroid also reduces the amount of oil produces in the body as a result of which skin becomes dry and rough. Not getting proper nutrition and balanced diet can also leave the skin dried out. Hormonal changes, especially in ageing women can also cause dry skin.
Home Remedies For Dry Skin Treatment:
dry skin remedies entirely depend on the causes of the condition. Those over the counter chemical laden products seldom work and burn a hole in the pocket too. You can effectively address skin dry skin concerns with a few easy home remedies.
1. Papaya And Avocado Paste:
Papaya is a very popular fruit for treating dry skin naturally. It not only reduces dryness but also effectively removes scars. Make a paste using 1 slice of papaya, 1 avocado and 1 banana. Apply it on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. You can also make a paste out of avocados and apply it all over the face and body to nourish the skin. This is the most effective of home remedies for dry skin on face.
2. Egg Yolk Paste:
Egg yolk is another very popular home remedy for dry skin. Make a face pack using yolk of 1 egg, 1 teaspoon of milk powder and 1 teaspoon of honey. Apply this paste on the face and all the dry areas. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off with regular tap water.
3. Cucumber Face Pack:
Cucumber is extremely beneficial for treating dry skin. Cucumber naturally moisturizes dry skin and also lightens skin tone. Make a paste of 1 cucumber and apply on face. Leave the pack for 30 minutes and you will notice visible difference in a matter of few weeks.
4. Honey and Rose Face Pack:
Take 1 teaspoon of honey and mix it with 1 teaspoon of rose water and apply on face and neck. This face pack will cleanse the skin, tone it and make the skin glowing. This is one of the most useful remedies for dry skin.
5. Banana Paste:
Bananas can also be used as a dry skin home remedy. Just mash 1 ripe banana and apply it like a face pack. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash off. Not just banana, but banana peels also contains a number of elements that are good for the skin. The peel contains a good amount of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins which contribute to the wellbeing of the skin. Rubbing banana peel on the dry skin surface will relieve skin inflammation and recover the softness and smoothness of the skin.
6. Aloe Vera gel:
Apply aloe Vera gel generously on the face and leave it on the skin for 30 minutes. If possible, avoid using readymade gels and try to extract the gel yourself. Just slice a piece of aloe vera and squeeze the gel out and apply on the face. It is not only an excellent moisturizer but also forms a protective layer that will keep away all the impurities from entering the pores. This will make the skin soft and luminous. It will also help to remove dead skin and prevent aging signs. This is one of the oldest of remedies for dry skin.
7. Egg Yolk And Olive Oil Face Pack:
Mix 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and add a few drops of rose water and lime juice to the paste. Apply this mixture on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with tap water and witness the miraculous result.
8. Oil therapy:
Take some olive, almond or coconut oil and massage the body prior to bathing. A hot oil massage will work even better. This will make the skin soft and smooth and will retain the moisture post bath.
9. Curd Paste:
Curd contains high amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that is known to make the skin soft and radiant. Apply plain curd or mix with some honey and a few drops of lime. Leave it on the skin for at least 10 minutes and then wash off. This face pack will work wonders for the skin.
10. Almond Paste:
Soak a few almonds overnight, peel the skin and grind to a fine paste. Add 2 teaspoons of raw milk, 1 teaspoon of gram flour and a few drops of lemon juice to this paste. Apply this face pack on the face and leave it for 20 minutes. Then wash off the paste while gently massaging the skin with lukewarm water. This will not only relieve dry skin but will also improve the skin tone.
11. Fresh Cream And Lemon Face Pack:
Mix one teaspoon of fresh cream with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Then massage the face till five minutes and wash off.
Dry skin can often be taken care of by making some changes in your diet. Eat foods rich in minerals and proteins and vitamins. Include vitamin rich foods in your diet like milk, eggs, cream, nut, mushrooms, legumes, peas, carrots, spinach and oranges.
Do share your secrets and tips for combating dry skin in the comments below.Share on Facebook Share on Pinterest