Check out the list of fitness goals of a health enthusiast and you are sure to find the flat abs on the top of the list! It is an unfortunate fact that belly fat is the toughest to lose. But that does not mean that you cannot shed that extra flab! Washboard abs can definitely be yours, but you need to workout for that. A strict diet and a well planned workout regimen are mandatory to get fab abs. Though cardio exercises helps burn the overall fat, it is very important to tone and define the abdominal muscles too. Ab crunches are a great way to work your abdominal muscles. And they are easy to do too!
How To Do The Basic Crunch?
Before we understand more about the crunch and its benefits, let’s learn to do it first! Here’s how you practice the basic crunch:
- Lie flat on the floor – you can use a mat if you prefer.
- Bend your knees.
- Lets your arms stay crossed in the front of your chest.
- Lift your head, making sure you are facing the ceiling. Use your abdominal muscles for the pull and then hold.
- Ease back as you inhale. Do not push yourself down and control the movement.
To make sure that you are facing the ceiling and not pressurizing your neck, you can keep your tongue at the roof of your mouth while you lift.
[ Read: Pilates Exercises For Flat Abs ]
Variations You Can Try:
Now that you know how to do the simplest of the crunch, you can also try its variations for the added challenge.
- You can keep your feet in table position, bent at 90 degree angle.
- You can use weights when you cross your arms against the chest.
- You can stay up longer.
You can also try:
1. Twist Crunches:
Here, you have to touch the opposite knee to opposite elbow while you lift up.
2. Side Crunches:
Here, you have to touch the same knee to the same elbow while you lift up.
[ Read: How To Flatten Out Your Belly At Home ]
3. Reverse Crunches:
The next ab crunch is the reverse crunch. Studies have shown that reverse crunches are more effective than the ab crunches.
- Lie flat on the ground.
- Let your arms be on the floor, or behind at the back of your head such that your head rests in your palms.
- Lift your hips away from the ground using your abdominal muscles.
- Please make sure that you are using your abdominal muscles to do the work to the fullest. If not, then you have to first build your core strength with regular crunches.
Crunching has a lot of benefits, but using ab machines is extremely beneficial.
How To Use Ab Crunch Machine?
Ab machines are preferred mostly by people who are susceptible to neck and lower back injuries. To use the machine you’ll need to:
- Position yourself properly in the machine.
- With the weights on your feet, pull yourself down. Make sure you don’t hurt yourself.
- Roll back up and repeat.
- The number of reps depends on your goals and endurance.
Benefits Of Ab Crunches And Ab Machine:
Check out how these exercises that may benefit you:
- They help you attain flatter abs and lesser flab.
- They improve your posture.
- The machine is helpful if you are new to working out and are prone to injuries.
[ Read: Diet Plan To Reduce Belly Fat ]
Word Of Caution:
It is important to be cautious while working out. Keep in mind the following points while doing crunches:
- Every crunch should be done without straining the neck. If done incorrectly, there is a possibility of injuries.
- If you are not sure, please seek the help of a trainer and people who have experience.
- Do not over train that leads to strained muscles.
Hope the tips are helpful. Keep in mind that the abs are built in the kitchen – you can mess up a fantastic workout with the wrong diet! So watch your diet while crunching away to flatter abs!
What is your idea of attaining washboard abs? Shoot a comment and let us know.
- How To Flatten Out Your Belly At Home?
- 11 Simple Ways To Get A Flat Tummy In Just One Week
- 7 Simple Ways To Get A Flat Tummy In Just One Month
- Top 10 Pilates Exercises For Flat Abs
- 4 Effective Ab Cruncher Exercises To Get Perfectly Toned Abs
Latest posts by Namita (see all)
- Brown Hair Color Guide – Everything You Need To Know - January 31, 2015
- How To Use Tea Tree Oil To Get Rid Of Lice? - January 19, 2015
- How Many Litres Of Water Should You Drink Daily To Lose Weight? - January 14, 2015
- Is Jaggery Helpful To Treat Diabetics? - December 23, 2014
- 4 Best Ways Tamarind Helps You To Lose Weight - November 11, 2014