Being able to reach that top shelf without standing on the stool would have been so good!
Height is an essential factor which determines the overall personality of an individual. Though being short does not in any way undermine an individual’s capabilities, it’s a fact that tall people often become the centre of attention. Short statured people not only suffer from a lack of confidence, but also face certain difficulties in some aspects of their lives.
Various professions (such as modelling, acting etc) demand that you have good height. Typically, a child who is short, often becomes the victim of bullying at his/her school, loses a place in the basketball team or even misses being nominated as the monitor of the class. It is rather unfortunate that even a fairly good looking or talented individual is likely to get ignored if he or she does not possess the normal height.
What can we do to get better and ahead if height isn’t in our favour? Let’s check out the factors affecting height first and then look at the tips to increase the height naturally.
Factors Affecting Height:
Being tall isn’t in our control, is it? Only partly true!
Genetic and non-genetic factors have a major role in determining our height. Our body height is regulated by the hormone called “Human Growth Hormone [HGH)”. HGH is secreted in our body by the pituitary gland and is required for the growth of long bones and cartilages.
a. Genetic Factors:
Height is influenced by various genes in our body. Our height is determined by several genes, it is polygenic. If both our parents are short, it does not mean we won’t be tall. However, if most of the members in our family from both sides are of short stature, then the next generations are most likely to have short height. Genetic factors are entirely beyond our control.
To calculate your projected height, follow these steps:
- First add both your parents’ heights together, either counting in inches or centimetres
- If you are a male, add 5 inches, that is, 13 cm to this. However, if you are a female, deduct 5 inches from the total of your parents’ height
- Now divide this number by 2
- What you get is your estimated height. This can be plus or minus 4 inches. This is an approximate way to predict what your height will be.
b. Non Genetic Factors:
There are several non-genetic factors that influence our height to an extent. Being tall is associated with growth and therefore, short height can be attributed to inadequate nutrition, lack of physical activity, incorrect posture, etc.
Certain other non-genetic factors which may affect height include:
- Smoking during pregnancy
- Prenatal and Post natal care
- Ill health during childhood and adolescence
- Weight during birth
- Mental conditions during childhood and adolescence
- Non-genetic factors can be controlled to an extent by following a healthy lifestyle from childhood.
[Read: Increase Height After 18 ]
Tips to Increase Height Naturally
About 20% or more of our body height depends upon our environment, activities and diet. Thus, we can increase our height in a natural way by following certain basic rules in our daily lives.
1. Proper Sleep:
It’s a well-known fact that our body grows and regenerates tissues while we rest. Proper sleep and rest are absolutely essential for a growing body. It’s believed that the Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is produced naturally in our bodies during sound, deep and slow wave sleep. Growing children and teenagers should have at least 8 to 11 hours of proper sleep every night in order to reach their maximum height. It is extremely important to ensure that you have a proper sleeping environment. It should be serene, minus disturbing noises or strong lights. Here are some tips to ensure sound sleep:
- Taking a warm water bath before going to bed can greatly enhance the quality of sleep.
- You can drink one cup of chamomile tea before hitting the bed. This is really useful to induce sleep.
Proper sleeping habit is definitely the top answer when it comes to growing one’s height naturally.
[ Read: Junk food ]
2. Regular Exercise and Sports:
- One of the best tips to grow height naturally is by being physically fit and active as a child. Regular exercise and sports enhances one’s height. When you are physically active, your body demands more healthy nutrients and consequently, an increase in nutrient intake results in growth.
- Indulging in sports like swimming, aerobics, tennis, cricket, football, basketball or a number of stretching exercises are a good way to keep our body growing. Our muscles improve our growth prospects besides cleansing and detoxifying our body through sweating. Regular exercise or sports should definitely form a part of our daily activities.
- Swimming is one of the best ways to increase your height. If one starts this at an early age, surely his/her height will be adequate. 2 hours of daily swimming for 4-5 days a week can be highly effective in increasing your height. The breast stroke is specially recommended for those who wish to increase their height. Swimming is a full body, intense exercise which will help to lengthen your muscles and build muscle strength.
- Some of the stretches you can try out to begin with are the car stretch, super stretch, cobra stretch, the bridge, bow down, twists, the table and basic leg stretches. It is recommended to do simple stretching exercises on a regular basis, for a minimum of 15 minutes for these to be effective for you. Stretches serves a great warm up before a workout.
- Hanging exercises can be useful to grow one’s height through exercise. Though these may seem a bit tough to try out in the beginning, you will get the hang of them slowly. All you need is a bar for this. Hang from it with your arms and spine stretched for 10 seconds. Repeat 12 sets one after the other or continue to do this for 2 minutes every day.
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- Is Essiac Tea An Effective Remedy For Cancer? - August 5, 2015
- 15 Easy Stair Exercises For A Toned And Healthy Body - June 25, 2015
- Food Poisoning In Children- Types, Symptoms And Home Remedies - May 30, 2015
- 6 Easy Ab Exercises You Can Do At Your Desk - May 24, 2015