Not surprisingly, sodium is a chemical element which is essential for proper cellular functioning and maintaining fluid levels in the body. It is also important for the transmission of nerve impulses found in the cells. And did you know what are the high sodium foods? This post talks about the foods high in sodium, which, if consumed, can help you stay healthy.
List Of High Sodium Foods
Let us quickly take a look at the top 10 sodium rich foods.
Seafood is among the best source of sodium in food varieties available. Different types of seafood like cod, shrimps, crabs, mussels, octopus, scallops, shrimp, squid, lobsters, clams, oysters etc. are all good sodium sources.
Wakame (a sea vegetable) and seaweed kelp which tastes and looks like spinach are the richest sources of sodium.
One of the best foods with high sodium. Sodium levels are very critical for many chemical reactions in the body; hence the amount consumed is important for your health. The quantity of salt consumed is directly related to the amount of sodium. The reason is that salt contains both sodium and chlorine. Properly packaged salt should be bought. It is advisable for adults not to consume more than 6 g of salt a day.
3. Star Fruit:
Also known as Carambola, this is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. This wild fruit contains small amounts of sugar, sodium and citric acid.
4. Dairy Products:
Yes, you heard it right. Dairy products such as milk, buttermilk, paneer, curd, and cheese are some of the other sources of sodium. These days’ dairy products even contain salt and preservatives which increases the level of sodium in them.
[ Read: Potassium Deficiency ]
Salt is used as a preservative for many meats, and hence there is the presence of high amounts of sodium in them. Meat like bacon, salami and beef jerky contain sodium.
Vegetables like Swiss chard, beet, collards, eggplant, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, dandelion, mustard, turnip greens, artichoke, spinach etc. contain sodium that they take up from the soil. The quantity of sodium in these vegetables depends on the sodium content of the soil in that particular area where they are grown.
[ Read: Healthy Skin Diet ]
Fruits are another great source of sodium. Fruits contain antioxidants, vitamins, minerals along with sodium, which is very useful for the human body in required quantities. The fruits that contain sodium include dried figs, olives, fresh figs, watermelon, plums, grapefruit, bananas, grapes, passion fruit and cantaloupe. Fruit juices like orange, grape, and pineapple also contain sodium due to the addition of salt and preservatives.
Some spices also include sodium. Hence, their usage in every day food can provide sodium to the body. These spices are mustard, chili powder, cloves, celery seed, cumin, saffron, spearmint, coriander leaf, dill, mace, curry powder and onion powder.
Dried herbs like chervil, marjoram, tarragon and thyme also contain small amounts of sodium.
[ Read: Phosphorus Rich Foods ]
Beverages like black tea, tea, coffee, beer and wine have high amounts of sodium present in them. Hence, they can fulfill the amount of sodium required by your body but these must be taken in small quantities due to the caffeine content in these beverages.
10. Coconut Milk:
Coconut milk contains calories, protein, fat and carbohydrates as well as sodium. Sodium is also available in puddings, coconut cream, dry mix, instant mix prepared with 2% milk etc.
[ Read: L Arginine Benefits ]
So, that was about the top high sodium foods, let’s look into important tips to consider.
Important Tips To Consider:
1. Under-consumption of sodium can lead to Hyponatremia; hence try to meet the daily sodium need of your body.
2. Avoid using too much of sodium to prevent health issues. Use only fresh ingredients and/or foods with minimal or no salt added.
3. Stop buying convenience foods such as canned soups, vegetables; pasta and rice mixes; frozen dinners; instant cereal, pudding, gravy, and sauce mixes.
4. Always check sodium levels in any food product before you buy it.
Hope you found the article on top foods with sodium informative. Share your thoughts below.
- 41 Amazing Iron Rich Foods That You Should Include In Your Diet
- Top 10 Foods High In Manganese
- Top 39 Magnesium Rich Foods You Should Include In Your Diet
- 14 Best Carbohydrate Rich Foods You Should Include In Your Diet
Latest posts by Jayshree Bhagat (see all)
- Top 15 Most Beautiful Cherry Blossom Flowers - May 13, 2014
- 23 Effective Exercises For Toned Buttocks - April 25, 2014
- Best Aerobics Shoes For Women – Our Top 10 - April 11, 2014
- 14 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Soy Protein - March 26, 2014
- Top 10 Clinics/Centers That Provide Laser Treatment For Acne Scars - March 24, 2014