“Lose weight, not confidence!”, says Bollywood diva Deepika Padukone. Don’t you agree with her? The Special K diet can give you miraculous results if you want to lose a few pounds quickly. This meal replacement diet can make you lose up to six pounds in two weeks. This healthy and tasty multigrain cereal is a much better option compared to other repulsive diet supplements. Here is what you need to know about the Special K Diet.
Lose Weight With The Special K Diet
- What Is The Special K Challenge?
- How Does The Special K Diet Help To Lose Weight?
- The Special K Challenge Diet Plan
- Scientific Explanation Of The Special K Diet
- The Best Part Of This Diet
- Special K Diet Recipes
- Role of Exercise
- Dos And Don’ts Of The Special K Diet
- Benefits Of The Special K Diet
- Side Effects Of The Special K Diet
1. What Is The Special K Challenge?
The Special K diet was created by Kellogg to ensure quick weight loss. The diet involves Kellogg’s product, Special K, a specialized variety of cornflakes. By replacing a couple of meals of your day with the right amount of Special K, you can lose up to six pounds in two weeks. The company is so sure of their product that they have even started the Special K Challenge to prove their claims. According to this challenge, if you follow the Special K Diet diligently, the company assures a weight loss of up to six pounds in just two weeks.
2. How Does The Special K Diet Help To Lose Weight?
The Special K diet requires you to replace two regular meals of the day with Special K cereal and milk. The Special K cereal is made up of wheat germ (high in fiber content), wheat gluten (adds flavor and texture), rice germ, dried whey, quinoa, granola, oats, malt (for flavor), sugar, salt, and added minerals and vitamins. This diet is low in calories. By taking in fewer calories, without compromising on the nutrition value, along with exercise, you can drop a jeans size in two weeks.
3. The Special K Diet Plan
What To Eat
- Two servings of Special K per day with one cup low-fat milk.
- Vegetables, fruits, yogurt, buttermilk, low-fat dairy.
- Crunchy veggies, digestive biscuits, fruit juice, baked veggie wafers, etc. for snacks.
- Mocktails, buttermilk, fruit juice, but no alcohol.
|Early Morning||Honey, lemon, and warm water or green tea with lemon and honey.|
|Breakfast||One bowl Special K with one cup low-fat milk. You can add half an apple or one banana.|
|Pre-Lunch||One apple or orange or grapes or berries.|
|Lunch||Vegetable soup or chicken soup with veggies or tuna sandwich or salad.|
Alternative – One bowl Special K multigrain and honey with one cup low-fat milk.
|Post-Lunch||One small bowl of yogurt.|
|Evening Snacks||Green tea with digestive biscuits or baked veggie wafers.|
|Dinner||One bowl Special K multigrain and honey with one cup low-fat milk.|
Alternative – Grilled fish or chicken with blanched asparagus and spinach salad.
Dessert – Fruit salad or low sugar containing chocolate mousse or carrot cake.
This diet plan is flexible and provides you with a daily intake of 1200-1250 calories. Make sure to include Special K in any two of your meals per day. Avoid fatty foods. Eat foods that are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Follow the Special K diet plan for two weeks and see visible results.
4. Scientific Explanation Of The Special K Diet
The explanation lies within the Special K cereal. Multigrain Special K is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It also makes you feel full, making you less prone to feel hungry. Additionally, you eat other healthy foods such as fruits, yogurt, low-fat milk, fish, chicken, vegetables, and dairy that are low in carb and fat content. Exercising regularly is also important. Try to eat starchy foods such as potato and corn in less quantity. While you are on this diet, avoid alcoholic, artificially sweetened, and carbonated beverages. This will help you maintain your calorie intake per day, which will aid in weight loss.
5. The Best Part Of This Diet
The best part of this diet is, you lose weight quickly without depriving your body of any nutrients, or without killing your taste buds. This diet gives you the freedom to eat Special K for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Additionally, following this diet plan is very simple and easy. All the ingredients are easily available in the supermarkets, and they don’t need much cooking time. For example, if you are tired and don’t feel like cooking, you can bank on a bowl of Special K and milk. Choose your foods wisely, follow the diet plan, and workout.
6. Special K Recipes
Here are few simple, easy to cook, and exciting Special K recipes. Who knew multigrain flakes could taste so yummy!
a. Baked Special K & Vegetable Cutlet
What You Need
- 2 cups of Special K
- 1 carrot
- 1 beetroot
- 4-5 French beans
- 1/2 onion
- 2 potatoes
- A handful of peas
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 50 g bread crumbs
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How To Prepare
- Cut all the veggies in very small cubes.
- Boil the potato.
- Grind the Special K.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Add the all-purpose flour and a little water and mix them to a thin consistency.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Throw in the chopped onion and fry for about two to three minutes.
- Add the other veggies and the boiled potato.
- Now add three tablespoons of the ground Special K and the peas.
- Add salt and pepper and sauté for about one to two minutes.
- Add garam masala and dried mango powder.
- Mash the potato and fold the veggies into the mashed potato.
- Take the pan off from the heat. Let the veggies cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- When cooled, use either a spoon or your hands to make flattened oval-shaped cutlets.
- Dip the cutlets in the lightly beaten egg or the flour and water mix.
- Coat the cutlets with the bread crumbs.
- Put them on the baking tray.
- Drizzle a little vegetable oil on them.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes on each side.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and fresh cucumber and yogurt dip.
Why This Recipe Is Recommended
This recipe is super delicious, healthy, easy to make. This recipe can also rock your house party as a finger food. Also, you can use any vegetable or meat to prepare this cutlet.
b. Special K Nachos And Yummy Yogurt Dip
What You Need
- 2-3 cups of Special K flakes
- 100 g yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 15 g cedar cheese
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How To Prepare
- Pour a little water in a bowl and gradually add the Special K flakes. Do not pour too much water.
- Let the Special K flakes absorb the water and become moist, soft, and fluffy.
- Add a little salt, pepper, and chili flakes, and start mixing with the back of a spoon.
- Add all-purpose flour to get a consistency of bread dough.
- Put the dough on a butter paper and start rolling like pizza dough with a rolling pin.
- Make a thin sheet of the dough with the rolling pin.
- Start cutting the dough in the desired shape using shape cutters.
- Carefully place these on a baking tray.
- Gently coat the top with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle a little pepper.
- Put it in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the yogurt in a bowl.
- Add thinly sliced cucumber and carrot.
- Grate a little cedar cheese.
- Add one teaspoon chili flakes.
- Add a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Finally, add a little lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Take out the Special K nachos out of the oven and let them cool.
- Eat the Special K nachos with the awesome dip.
Why This Recipe Is Recommended
While it is not easy not to resist your craving for food, Special K nachos are definitely a healthy way to fulfill those cravings – they are easy to prepare and are perfectly healthy and crunchy snacks.
7. Role Of Exercise
Exercising is very important to keep you active and healthy. Since the Special K diet is only a 1200-1250-calorie diet, do not opt for rigorous workouts. Rather, stick to yoga and stretching exercises. Practice yoga for at least 30 minutes a day. Exercising will keep your muscles toned and your cells active.
8. Dos And Don’ts Of The Special K Diet
|Things To Do||Things Not To Do|
|Start your day with yoga, stretching exercises, or power walks.||Do not wake up late and miss your early morning detox drink or breakfast.|
|Stick to the diet plan. You can alternate and make some small changes, but the basic calorie intake should be same.||Do not skip breakfast.|
|Eat two servings of Special K each day.||Do not add sugar in the Special K and milk.|
|Eat fruits, veggies, and healthy proteins.||Do not overeat.|
|Use low-fat milk and yogurt.||Do not snack on unhealthy foods.|
|Drink enough water and fruit juice.||Avoid alcohol and sweetened and carbonated beverages.|
|Consult your doctor before starting on this diet.||Do not work till late at night.|
9. Benefits Of The Special K Diet
- Easy to follow.
- All the foods recommended in the diet chart are easily available.
- Keeps your weight in check.
- This medium to low-calorie diet ensures that you will lose weight faster.
- You can prepare healthy snacking alternatives easily at home.
- You can add fruits, honey, or nuts to a bowl of Special K and milk to make it more delicious.
- Special K is made up of whole grains, i.e. it is rich in fiber content.
- The Special K diet will keep your hunger pangs at bay.
10. Side Effects Of The Special K Diet
- Since this is a medium to low-calorie diet, you may feel fatigued or weak.
- The sugar present in the Special K might lead to a rise in sugar levels after you have eaten it.
- The salt present in the Special K may be harmful to people suffering from diabetes.
- You may feel irritable and experience mood swings.
The Special K diet does more good than harm. The multigrain flakes along with the other foods, as recommended in the diet chart, will not let your body be deprived of the essential nutrients. Keep your goals of losing weight real. Not eating right may lead to many conditions that might prove to be fatal later. Try this diet if you have a short-term weight loss agenda. This plan is not recommended for long-term weight loss. Also, consult your doctor before following this diet plan.
- How much weight can I lose with the Special K Diet?
You can lose up to six pounds if you follow the Special K Diet and exercise regularly.
- How much cereal should I take during this diet?
You can take 8-10 tablespoons or about half a medium-sized bowl of Special K per serving every day.
- Can I follow this plan for more than 2 weeks?
The Special K diet is meant for short-term weight loss. Extending the duration will only make your body weaker as this is a low-calorie diet. This diet is not recommended for long-term weight loss.
- Does it matter which Special K I choose?
There are many varieties in Special K. Always see the contents before choosing a variety. If it contains too much of added sugar and salt, avoid it. Eating Special K that is high in sugar content won’t serve the purpose. Also, too much salt content is not good for your health.
- Is there any age limit for the Special K diet?
There is no age limit. Though the Special K diet is not meant for long-term weight loss, you can start your weight loss program with this diet. If you are obese, and your doctor recommends that you lose weight, start with the Special K diet. Your doctor will advise you how much weight to lose, or if you need to lose weight at all. Sometimes, it is all in our head, even when we have the perfect body.
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Top 10 Cucumber Water Recipes And Benefits - October 3, 2016
- Does Water Fasting Help You Lose Weight? - September 30, 2016
- Top 10 Detox Smoothie Recipes - September 30, 2016
- Diabetes Diet Plan For Indians (North, South, East, West) - May 10, 2016
- Is Colon Cleanse The Best Weight Loss Therapy? - May 9, 2016