The Special K Diet promises a weight loss of up to 6 pounds in 2 weeks. If this is true, the big question is, how does it help you lose weight?
The Special K Diet was created by Kellog’s, a breakfast cereal company. In this diet, you are allowed to replace 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) with 40 gms of Special K cereal and 1 cup of low-fat milk for 2 weeks. This helps you feel fuller for longer hours, eat less, and lose more fat.
Sounds boring, doesn’t it? This is precisely where our Special K diet plan comes into the picture. We have strategically created a 6-meals-per-day plan, where you will also eat other low glycemic index and nutritious foods that will aid your weight loss.
Just a reminder! This is a short-term weight loss diet plan and should not be followed beyond two weeks. This article discusses everything you need to know about the Special K Diet plan to look gorgeous on your special day.
Lose Weight With The Special K Diet
- The Science – How Does The Special K Diet Help You Lose Weight?
- The Special K Diet Plan
- Foods To Eat
- Foods To Avoid
- The Best Part Of This Diet
- Special K Diet Recipes
- Role of Exercise
- Dos And Don’ts Of The Special K Diet
- Benefits Of The Special K Diet
- Side Effects Of The Special K Diet
1. The Science – How Does The Special K Diet Help You Lose Weight?
- Multigrain Special K is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It makes you feel full, making you less prone to feel hungry.
- You will also eat other healthy foods such as fruits, yogurt, low-fat milk, fish, chicken, vegetables, and dairy that are low in carb and fat content.
- Regular exercising will help you expend the stored fat as energy.
- You will not be allowed to drink any alcoholic, artificially sweetened, and carbonated beverages. This will help you maintain your calorie intake per day, which will aid weight loss.
Now that you know the science behind the Special K diet, let’s unveil the specially designed 6-meals-per-day diet plan with the calorie count and time.
2. The Special K Diet Plan
|Early Morning (6:00 am – 7:30 am)||Options||66 calories|
|Breakfast (8:00 am – 9:00 am)||One bowl Special K with one cup low-fat milk. You can add half an apple.||270 calories|
|Pre-Lunch (10:30 am)||One apple or orange or grapes or berries.||48–67 calories|
|Lunch (12:30 pm – 1:00 pm)||Options||286 calories|
|Post-Lunch (2:30 pm)||One small bowl of yogurt.||220 calories|
|Evening Snacks (4:30 pm – 5: 00 pm)||Options||73 calories|
|Dinner (7:30 pm – 8:00 pm)||Options|
Dessert– Fruit salad or low-sugar carrot cake.
This diet plan is flexible and provides you with a daily intake of 1200-1250 calories. Make sure you include Special K in any two of your meals per day. Avoid fatty foods. Eat foods that are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Follow the Special K diet plan for two weeks and see visible results.
Be careful about the portion size. Consuming too much Special K will not produce the desired results. Limit the portion to the size of your palm.
If you are allergic to any of the listed foods or simply do not want to eat the same veggies or fruits for 14 days, here is a list of food substitutes to help you break the monotony.
- Honey – Organic maple syrup
- Lemon – Apple cider vinegar
- Green tea – Black tea or white tea
- Apple – Pear
- Orange – Grapefruit or kiwi
- Banana – 2 dates
- Low-fat milk – Soy milk
- Grapes – Blueberries
- Berries – Orange
- Vegetable or Chicken soup – Mushroom soup or stir fried veggies
- Tuna – Salmon or chicken breast
- Yogurt – Buttermilk
- Digestive biscuits – Multigrain biscuits
- Baked veggie wafer – Steamed spring rolls
- Grilled Fish or chicken – Ground beef or lentil soup
- Asparagus – Leek or celery
- Spinach – Bok choy or Chinese cabbage
- Chocolate mousse – Sour cream
- Carrot cake – Squash cake or beetroot cake
- Fruit salad – Fresh fruit juice (strain the juice if you suffer from IBS)
If this list is not sufficient, the next section has a list of foods you can eat (in measured portions) while you are on the Special K diet.
4. Foods To Eat
- Vegetables – Celery, carrot, beetroot, spinach, green beans, turnip, radish, bottle gourd, bitter gourd, cauliflower, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, leek, cabbage, bell peppers, drumsticks, squash, etc.
- Fruits – Peach, apple, orange, grapefruit, watermelon, musk melon, plum, and pomegranate.
- Proteins – Tuna, salmon, chicken breast, ground lean turkey, ground lean beef, mushrooms, soy chunks, lentils, chickpeas, and kidney beans.
- Fats & Oils – Rice bran oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, and ghee (clarified butter).
- Dairy – Low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt, and eggs.
- Spices – Cinnamon, ginger powder, garlic powder, cardamom, fennel seeds, fenugreek, onion powder, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- Herbs – Coriander leaves, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and dill.
- Beverages – Buttermilk, fresh fruit juice, and fresh coconut water.
While you attempt to eat the healthiest foods, make sure that you avoid eating high glycemic index or cardiovascular disease-causing foods.
Here is the list of foods you should avoid or eat in fewer quantities.
5. Foods To Avoid
- Vegetables – Potato and sweet potato.
- Fruits – Mango and jackfruit.
- Fats & Oils – Lard and safflower oil.
- Dairy – Cheese, butter, and margarine.
- Beverages – Alcohol, packaged fruit juices, carbonated beverages, and packaged coconut water.
Avoid adding sugar to the Special K cereal. Add fresh strawberries or add 2 chopped dates for sweetness.
How Will You Feel While On This Diet?
By the end of Day 1, you will feel great about yourself, as you successfully completed the first day of this diet plan.
However, by Day 3, you may feel a little worn out as you will have to avoid all the carb and high sugar temptations. Do not give up so easily. Sticking to the plan will not only help you lose the water weight and fat but also help you become mentally strong to overcome the urge to eat any fattening food.
Day 6 will be challenging as you will be tired of eating healthy food. The best way to deal with this is to include Special K in recipes in creative ways.
By the end of Day 8, you will notice a huge difference in your body. You will weigh at least 4 pounds lesser now. Once you see the results of your hard work, you will be able to deal with the last 6 days with elan.
Day 12 will tough as most successful dieters feel the desire to eat a lot of junk food since they have lost a good amount of weight. Wait for the reward. You have not achieved your target weight. Be patient and stay hydrated.
Day 14 will bring a big smile on your face. About 6 pounds lesser in weight, you will feel much lighter, and you will rock any dress you wear!
Beyond 2nd Week
It is not advisable to carry on with this diet beyond the second week. Your body’s immunity and strength levels will be low, and continuing it indefinitely will lead to serious health issues. If you do want to follow this diet plan again, take a break of two weeks and then start the Special K diet again.
6. The Best Part Of This Diet
The best part of this diet – you lose weight quickly without depriving your body of any nutrients, or without killing your taste buds.
Following this diet plan is very simple and easy. All the ingredients are easily available in supermarkets, and they don’t need much cooking time. For example, if you are tired and don’t feel like cooking, you can bank on a bowl of Special K and milk. However, if you are in a mood to eat exciting food without disrupting your diet, the next section will give you two Special K recipes that you will love to eat.
7. Special K Recipes
Here are a few simple, easy to cook, and exciting Special K recipes. Who knew multigrain flakes could taste so yummy!
a. Baked Special K & Vegetable Cutlet
What You Need
- 2 cups of Special K
- 1 carrot
- 1 beetroot
- 4-5 French beans
- 1/2 onion
- 2 potatoes
- A handful of peas
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 50 g bread crumbs
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How To Prepare
- Cut all the veggies into very small cubes.
- Boil the potato.
- Grind the Special K.
- Beat the egg in a bowl.
- Add the all-purpose flour and a little water and mix them to a thin consistency.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Throw in the chopped onion and fry for about two to three minutes.
- Add the other veggies and the boiled potato.
- Now, add three tablespoons of the ground Special K and the peas.
- Add salt and pepper and sauté for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add garam masala and dried mango powder.
- Mash the potato and fold the veggies into the mashed potato.
- Take the pan off from the heat. Let the veggies cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- When cooled, use either a spoon or your hands to make flattened oval-shaped cutlets.
- Dip the cutlets in the lightly beaten egg or the flour and water mix.
- Coat the cutlets with the bread crumbs.
- Put them on the baking tray.
- Drizzle a little vegetable oil on them.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes on each side.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and fresh cucumber and yogurt dip.
Why This Recipe Is Recommended
This recipe is super delicious, healthy, easy to make. This recipe can also rock your house party as a finger food. Also, you can use any vegetable or meat to prepare this cutlet.
b. Special K Nachos And Yummy Yogurt Dip
What You Need
- 2-3 cups of Special K flakes
- 100 g yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 15 g cedar cheese
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- 100 ml water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How To Prepare
- Pour a little water in a bowl and gradually add the Special K flakes. Do not pour too much water.
- Let the Special K flakes absorb the water and become moist, soft, and fluffy.
- Add a little salt, pepper, and chili flakes, and start mixing with the back of a spoon.
- Add all-purpose flour to get a consistency of bread dough.
- Put the dough on a butter paper and start rolling like pizza dough with a rolling pin.
- Make a thin sheet of the dough with the rolling pin.
- Start cutting the dough into the desired shape using shape cutters.
- Carefully place these on a baking tray.
- Gently coat the top with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle a little pepper.
- Put it in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take the yogurt in a bowl.
- Add thinly sliced cucumber and carrot.
- Grate a little cedar cheese.
- Add one teaspoon chili flakes.
- Add a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Finally, add a little lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Take out the Special K nachos out of the oven and let them cool.
- Eat the Special K nachos with the awesome dip.
Why This Recipe Is Recommended
While it is not easy not to resist your craving for food, Special K nachos are definitely a healthy way to fulfill those cravings – they are easy to prepare and are perfectly healthy and crunchy snacks.
Hope these recipes will satisfy your cravings. Remember, merely following the Special K diet will not aid weight loss. You also need to exercise to expend the energy, mobilize the stored fat, and look great. Check out the recommended exercise regimen that should be followed every day for at least 30 minutes.
8. Exercise Regimen While On The Special K Diet
Exercising is very important to keep you active and healthy. Since the Special K diet is only a 1200-1250 calorie diet, do not opt for rigorous workouts. Rather, stick to yoga and stretching exercises. Practice yoga for at least 20 minutes a day. Here is the list of exercises that will keep your muscles toned and your cells active.
- Arm Circles – 1 set, 5 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Wrist Circles – 1 set, 5 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Shoulder Circles – 1 set, 5 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Ankle Circles – 1 set, 5 reps (clockwise and anticlockwise)
- Pawanmuktasana – 15-30 seconds
- Trikonasana – Hold till comfortable
- Supta Matsyendrasana – Hold till comfortable
- Anulom Vilom – 2 sets, 10 reps
Eating the right foods in the right quantities and exercising will help you lose weight. But, you have to eliminate other errors in your practice. The Dos and Don’ts will tell you precisely where you may err and how to make the most out of the Special K diet plan.
9. Dos And Don’ts Of The Special K Diet
|Things To Do||Things Not To Do|
|Start your day with yoga, stretching exercises, or power walks.||Do not wake up late and miss your early morning detox drink or breakfast.|
|Stick to the diet plan. You can alternate and make some small changes, but the basic calorie intake should be same.||Do not skip breakfast.|
|Eat two servings of Special K each day.||Do not add sugar in the Special K and milk.|
|Eat fruits, veggies, and healthy proteins.||Do not overeat.|
|Use low-fat milk and yogurt.||Do not snack on unhealthy foods.|
|Drink enough water and fruit juice.||Avoid alcohol and sweetened and carbonated beverages.|
|Consult your doctor before starting on this diet.||Do not work till late at night.|
So, now you know the practical mistakes that you could have made and hindered your weight loss. But do you know why we strongly support the Special K diet? Take a look at the benefits of Special K diet to unlock the mystery.
10. Benefits Of The Special K Diet
- Easy to follow.
- All the foods recommended in the diet chart are easily available.
- Keeps your weight in check.
- This medium to low-calorie diet ensures that you will lose weight faster.
- You can prepare healthy snacking alternatives easily at home.
- You can add fruits, honey, or nuts to a bowl of Special K and milk to make it more delicious.
- Special K is made up of whole grains, i.e. it is rich in fiber content.
- The Special K diet will keep your hunger pangs at bay.
Well, there sure is another side to the coin. Let’s flip it!
11. Possible Side Effects Of The Special K Diet
- Since this is a medium to low-calorie diet, you may feel fatigued or weak.
- The sugar present in the Special K cereal might lead to a rise in the sugar levels after you have eaten it.
- The salt present in the Special K cereal may be harmful to people who have diabetes.
- You may feel irritated and experience mood swings.
As a dieter, I would say that the Special K diet does more good than harm. Try this diet if you have a short-term weight loss agenda. It is also important to keep your weight loss goals real. Not eating right may lead to many conditions that might prove to be fatal later. Also, consult your doctor before following this diet plan.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
How much weight can I lose with the Special K Diet?
You can lose up to six pounds if you follow the Special K Diet and exercise regularly.
How much cereal should I take during this diet?
You can take 8-10 tablespoons or about half a medium-sized bowl of Special K per serving every day.
Can I follow this plan for more than 2 weeks?
The Special K diet is meant for short-term weight loss. Extending the duration will only make your body weaker as this is a low-calorie diet. This diet is not recommended for long-term weight loss.
What will happen if I stop the diet before completing 2 weeks?
If you stop the diet in between, firstly, you will not lose fat, and secondly, you will put on more weight than before. Stop immediately if this diet plan is affecting your health and your physician has asked you to do so. Do not stop because you are unable to resist your temptations.
What would be the best time to follow this diet?
A special occasion in a fortnight will the best time to follow this diet plan. Start on any day you want to according to your convenience.
Does it matter which Special K I choose?
There are many varieties of Special K. Always see the contents before choosing a variety. If it contains too much of added sugar and salt, avoid it. Eating Special K that is high in sugar content will not serve the purpose. Also, too much salt content is not good for your health.
Is there any age limit for the Special K diet?
There is no age limit. Though the Special K diet is not meant for long-term weight loss, you can start your weight loss program with this diet. If you are obese, and your doctor recommends that you lose weight, start with the Special K diet. Your doctor will advise how much weight you need to lose, or if you need to lose weight at all. Sometimes, it is all in your head, even when you have the perfect body.
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- 20 Ways To Maintain Weight Loss Effortlessly - October 15, 2017
- 10 Best Essential Oils For Weight Loss - October 12, 2017
- Kim Kardashian Weight Loss Secrets– Lose 70 Pounds Like A Pro - October 10, 2017
- Mediterranean Diet With Menu Plan For Better Health - August 4, 2017
- DASH Diet For Healthy Weight Loss And High Blood Pressure - July 31, 2017