It isn’t expected that the spices that add a zing to our favourite can also be great for our beauty care routine. Use it the right way and the products on the shelf are no match for these!
Here are the following top 7 spices and the benefits that they provide
This spice is used medicinally for cough and bad throat. But it can also be used to get clean skin. You just need to make a paste of cloves with a bit of honey and clean your skin with it.
Oil of clove is more commonly used these days. Using clove oil can help to reduce skin irritations and diminish any visible swelling.
You can also pour a drop or two of clove oil on to a wash cloth and apply it on your face, to make it more refreshed in the mornings.
How many times have you read that ginger can be used to get rid of the acne scars and other blemishes and lighten your skin?
- Ginger, lemon, sugar (take a generous amount of this), and olive oil can be used mixed together and used as a body scrub. Be cautious that some maybe allergic to this recipe. Try it out on your hand first before trying it out on the rest of your body. If you feel any itching sensation, refrain from using it.
Ginger can also help treat hyper pigmented skin.
- For this purpose, start off by cutting a sliver of ginger and rubbing it over the discoloration. Do not rinse it off. Let it be there. Do this every day consistently. Most people see significant results within two weeks or so.
This spice is being used for beauty since time immemorial!
Turmeric has anti- bacterial properties along with antiseptic properties too. Use turmeric and milk, apply on your face, and leave for some time. You can combine turmeric with many other materials to get varied results.
Some other great recipes are using turmeric and Chick pea powder made into a paste to get fairer skin. It can also help to reduce facial hair. A little bit of turmeric mixed with sugarcane juice and applied on the skin is said to reduce and prevent signs of aging. You can also mix turmeric with your hair oil of choice and apply on your scalp to deal with dandruff.
Using turmeric may make you yellow for a while, but the effect is temporary. The kasturi turmeric does not stain your skin and hence is better suited for skin care uses. But be aware that some people may be allergic to turmeric. So test it out on your hand before applying on your face
Basil leaves are high in antiseptic properties. It also contains high amounts of anti-ageing elements. So it can be used to ward of signs of aging as well.
- Basil leaves boiled in some water can be used a toner. Keep it in a spray bottle and use many times in a day.
- Basil leaves and chandan (sandalwood) may also be applied to skin to treat pimples very fast.
- A combination of basil leaves and honey can help lighten the under eye area to treat dark circles.
- You can also make a face wash with basil. To do this, crush some basil leaves in a mortar and pestle so that the oils are released. Apply this on your face and wash it off with tepid water after sitting for 3-5 minutes.
Not expecting this spice to be in the list? We list cinnamon because has anti-bacterial properties.
- Olive oil, Honey and cinnamon powder mixed together treat hair loss. To get clear skin free of pimples, apply cinnamon powder and honey on them. Cinnamon in combination with oatmeal and warm water, used consistently can increase collagen production.
- Cinnamon mixed with baking soda and used as a facial scrub can also work wonders for your skin.
- You can even make a body scrub to slough of dry alligator skin on knees and elbows. To make this, combine a blend of sea salt, olive oil, almond oil, honey and ground cinnamon.
The smell of garlic is truly vile. Its beauty benefits at the same time are equally great! They contain allicin, which has antibacterial properties.
- Using cut up garlic to rub on your scalp or applying garlic infused oil on your hair can help it grow longer and stronger.
- The natural antioxidants in it can help reduce even the severest acne. You can use a cut garlic clove and rub it on the acne affected area to get relief. You can also make masks with crushed garlic and honey and apply.
- You can reduce blackheads by applying a puree of garlic on the area and letting it sit for sometimes before washing off.
- You can add cut up garlic to clear nail polish, let it stew for a week or so and use it. The strengthening properties of garlic can make you nail super strong.
Nutmeg is a very common Indian spice. It is rather popular for making a lot of favourite dishes even more delicious!
- It can help make skin tone more even and help in reducing any scarring and blemishes.
- To deal with marks and scarring, a mask with honey and nutmeg powder can be used. Applying a mask of nutmeg powder and orange lentil can help to reduce blackheads.
- You can make a very effective microdermabrasion and exfoliator with a combination of milk and ground nutmeg. This can give you the most gorgeous skin you ever have experienced.
What are you waiting for? Try them out right away!
If you have knowledge about any other ways to use spices for beauty which we have not mentioned, do drop us a comment and let us know!
Latest posts by Arpita (see all)
- Sharon Stone’s Best Kept Beauty Secrets REVEALED! - March 4, 2013
- 10 Best Inspiring Makeup Tips From Mickey Contractor - February 22, 2013
- Best Chanel Nail Polishes – Our Top 10 - February 16, 2013
- Penelope Cruz’s Beauty Secrets - December 22, 2012
- Sridevi’s Beauty Secrets Revealed - December 22, 2012