The first question we will answer is what is spinning exercise.
Spinning exercise, also known as indoor cycling is one of the most popular ways to lose weight. It uses a stationary exercise bike and has varying resistance. It also has the option of various inclines for varied intensity in order to get the most out of your workout. Spinning is usually referred to the workout done in the form of classes taken at various health clubs and gyms.
These spinning workout classes usually consist of students lined up next to each other, huffing and puffing away at a rapid speed on a stationary bike, wearing bike shorts and dripping with sweat. In the background, there will be low light and motivational music playing to motivate their spirit. The class will be led by an instructor in the front who will shout out things like, “Big hill coming up, Get ready everyone” and the students will follow suit and they will all ride harder and rise up like one would, when riding the bike uphill.
Doing this exercise not only burns major calories, but also helps to relieve stress. Most of the bikes for this purpose can also track your progress. It is a great way to get in your cardio, tone your legs and to build muscle tone.
The many benefits of spinning exercise include:
1. Maximum Calorie Burn: You can burn around 500-700 calories in a 45 minute class. This rate is particularly high compared to other cardio forms. This means that you can lose more weight in a shorter time due to a higher daily calorie deficit.
2. Improves Muscle Tone: An important aspect of a spin workout is that the stationary bike uses a weighted flywheel that can help you adjust the resistance provided by the bike in order to mimic inertia and wind. So, when you are pedaling faster at a lower resistance you can get your heart rate up and burn more calories, but at a higher resistance and slower pace, you can work your muscles and improve muscle tone.
3. Increase your stamina: By working out more on an indoor bike, you can increase your heart health and this will stop you from getting winded after just a few flights of stairs.
4. Is easy on the joints: This exercise is not as high impact as running or plyometric or dancing around in an acrobatics class. Since this uses stationery bikes which are adjustable, you can maintain it at your level and according to your comfort. So this is easy on the knees and back, and it would be a great exercise for those who are older or have sustained injuries.
[ Read: Circuit Training Exercises ]
5. Core Strength: If you maintain the correct position on the spin bike, you can improve your core strength as well since you will be using it to maintain yourself while spinning.
6. Easy to follow: There are no complicated moves; you won’t feel left out as a beginner and you control how you do your workout. This is the most important aspect of spinning. You are in charge of how fast you move, how much resistance you are up against and you decide how hard you need to go. The beauty of spinning lies in the fact that people at different fitness levels in a class finish together, but at their own pace and still feel like they all had a great workout.
7. Suitable for all time: Since the classes are conducted indoors, you don’t have to worry about things like traffic, allergy and weather conditions. You work in a controlled environment that is neither too hot nor too cold so that you can work out all day, every day.
8. It helps to bust Plateau: If you are in a workout/weight loss rut and want to see improved results, spinning is the way to go since the intensity is varying and you can always make it more challenging when you get used to a level.
9. Stress Relief: This workout is a great way to bust stress since it is very intense and makes your body release a lot of endorphins or feel-good hormones.
10. You can check real time progress: A stationary cycle can keep track of how far you have come in terms of speed, endurance and strength. This is a great motivation aside from seeing an improved physique to keep going back for more.
Top tip: Before and after a spin class, you should always stretch to keep your body in shipshape.
Here is a quick way on how to stretch:
Hope you enjoyed reading the article. Don’t forget to leave us a comment!
Image source: 1