Now who doesn’t want a slim, svelte, and sexy back? Lat Pulldown exercise is a strength training exercise that works on your upper back to give you just that. Lat Pulldown is one of those exercises that are not very glamorized or complicated, but give you really impressive results.
Lat Pulldown is a compound exercise, which works on different muscles and joints. It is a multi-joint exercise that involves the shoulder joints, scapula as well as the elbows. The main muscle worked in this exercise is your latissimus dorsi muscle. That is the primary and main target of Lat Pulldown as indicated by the name itself. Along with lats, the exercise uses your biceps, rhomboids, trapezius muscles, levator scapulae and pectoralis major as synergists muscles. Your triceps act as dynamic stabilizers.
How To Do Lat Pulldown Exercise?
This is a fairly simple exercise, which can be done by beginners also. The standard version of Lat Pulldown is done by using a pulldown machine or a cable machine.
The Starting Position:
- Sit on the bench with your back straight and your abs tightened.
- Hold the bar in a wide grip with your hands placed wider than shoulder width.
- Keep your arms extended and your elbows straight.
- Make sure your feet never leave the ground.
- Bend your elbows and pull the bar close to your upper chest until your elbows flank your sides.
- Straighten your arms again into the starting position.
- Do 12-15 reps in a set and 2 sets in total.
1. Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown :
In this variation, the only thing that changes is your grip on the bar or cable. This variation works on the range of motion of your shoulders and scapula along with increasing muscular strength and endurance of your lats. For doing Reverse Grip Pulldown, hold the bar in such a way that your fingers and thumb are facing towards you.
2. Narrow Grip Lat Pulldown:
The narrow grip Lat Pulldown is usually suggested to those who get comfortable with the wide grip. For this variation, hold the handles of the cable close to each other and then do the pulldowns. It works on opposite muscles from the wide grip variation.
3. Resistance Band Lat Pulldown:
Unavailability of the pulldown machine does not mean that you can’t do this exercise. In place of the machine, you can use a resistance band which is equally good. Attach the centre of your band to a solid, stationary thing over your head. Get hold of both the ends in each hand firmly. Keep your arms extended and straightened. This is your starting position. Now pull down the ends close to your chest and release back.
4. Lat Pulldown With Static Squat:
This variation is a combination of upper body and lower exercise and works on your total integrated body. Our upper body undergoes isotonic workout and the lower body goes through isometric hold. For this variation you need resistance band. Get into the squat position and make sure your knees are above your heels. Keep your abs tightened and back flat. Hold your squat and do 12 pulldowns without getting out of the position.
Lat Pulldown is a simple exercise that can be done by any level of exercisers. But still there are some things you need to keep in mind for maximum results and to avoid injuries.
- Do not hunch your back or shoulders while doing this exercise. Keep your back straight and abs tight.
- If you are a beginner, start with wide grip pulldowns.
- Make sure you adjust the thigh pads properly to avoid lifting your knees while pulling the bar down.
- Do not use any jerky movements or momentum. It will compromise your result.
- If you want to intensify your workout, you can narrow your grip or increase the weight. You can also use heavy bands.
- Do not do behind the neck variation, which can lead to neck and back injuries.
So, include the Lat Pulldown exercise in your workout for a sexy, strong back and shoulders. That off shoulder dress is waiting!
Do you practice Lat Pulldown workout as part of your regular regimen? What benefits have you noticed? Share your experiences with us in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Sakshi Gupta (see all)
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat - January 31, 2015
- The Science Behind Weight Loss For Women - December 29, 2014
- Is Metformin Effective For Weight Loss? - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Using An Exercise Cycle - December 29, 2014
- 50 Best Weight Loss Exercises You Can Try - October 28, 2014