Fasting can undeniably be a difficult and challenging task, especially if you’re not habituated to it. While most people think that the most challenging part of fasting is the feeling of hunger, but that is not the case. Usually, a person can survive without food for over a month, but one thing that human beings cannot live without is water. It’s a proven fact that an average person can stay for only three days without water, and thus, the most difficult part in fasting is coping with thirst.
With sufficient amount of hydration, you can avoid the discomfort of being thirsty and your stomach will also not feel that empty.
Fasting is the best way to self-cleanse the body and offers a myriad of physical and mental benefits. If you’re thinking of fasting, you should start preparing your body a day before.
It is usually recommended not to fast for more than a day but even if you’re planning to fast for multiple days, make sure that you keep a gap of one day at least in-between. Although you can take the help of your doctor to decide on the number of days, there are few factors that can help you take the decision by yourself. The factors are:
- Your will power
- Your body’s dosha type
- Your eating habits
- The strength of your stomach
Ayurveda recommends that the people with Vata body type must not try water fasting or follow any restricted diet for more than a day or two as absolute fasting can wreck the metabolism of their body. If they are planning to fast, then they must include water with lemon juice or honey, fruit juices, milk or yogurt in their routine.
People with Pitta body type must consume raw fruits and vegetables along with water. Water fasting is not at all allowed for them. They can have diluted fruit juices or bitter vegetable juices, but sour juices are not allowed.
Kapha people must fast on a weekly basis to promote their digestion. However, they should avoid consuming intensely sweet or sour fruit juices.
Here is a step-by-step guide for you to make fasting simpler than before.
1. Start Preparing Your Body
People who fast usually suffer from headaches or nausea, and this is because of the caffeine withdrawal from the body. Thus, reduce the intake of caffeine a day or two before the fasting is to take place.
2. Eat Sufficient Food On The Previous Day
Start your day with a heavy and healthy breakfast, followed by a moderate lunch. Make sure you eat the final meal just an hour before you start fasting as this will make your stomach feel full.
3. Avoid Salty Or Thirst-Inducing Foods
Avoiding thirst-inducing foods such as tea, chocolates, and coffee. You must also try to avoid salty food or alcohol as they require extra water to be processed.
4. Avoid Eating Non-Vegetarian Food
Since fasting is linked to spiritual practices, it is better not to eat non-vegetarian food during the day of fasting. Also, it is heavy on the stomach and difficult to digest.
5. Break The Fast Wisely
Breaking the fast the correct way is as important as preparing for it. Make sure that you do not overeat as that can affect the digestion process. Moreover, if you practice the same thing quite often, it can lead to obesity.
How To Start The Day Of Fasting?
1. Make sure you get up early in the morning and give a fresh start to your day.
2. Have a head bath.
3. Practice pranayama as it will help improve your concentration and strengthen your body.
4. Since there is no supply of calories to your body, it is suggested to take proper rest.
5. Do prayers for inner strength.
6. Avoid hitting the gym or any workouts.
7. Since fasting leads to an increase in Vata and Pitta, and exposure of the body to sun and the wind are correlated to Vata and Pitta, it is advised to prevent your body from being exposed to the sun or the wind.
With proper care and precautions, you can finish your ayurvedic fasting very smoothly, but it is always good to keep your doctor’s number with you in the case of any emergency.
We hope you liked the article. Share your views in the comments box below.
- Does Water Fasting Help You Lose Weight?
- Ayurveda Says Eating These At Night Will Make You Healthy. Take A Look!
- 6 Warning Symptoms That Indicate You Need To Stop Fasting Immediately
- Hydration 101: How Much Water Should You Ideally Drink Every Day?
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- 4 Amazing Beauty Benefits Of Tomatoes! It Treats Acne Too. - April 6, 2017
- It Empties Your Bowels And Makes You Lose A Lot Of Weight Too! - March 30, 2017
- Milk Wax – Never Heard Of This Before, But My Sister Is Using It Since Last Year And Now, Her Skin Is Just Like Milk - March 28, 2017
- She Begins Rubbing Turmeric Onto Her Cheeks. When She Rubs It Off, The Results Are Unbelievable! - March 21, 2017
- 10 Signs That Indicate That Your Partner No Longer Loves You - March 21, 2017