You’ve seen box braids, crochet braids, cornrows, and every other type of protective style in between. But you sure haven’t seen anything like jumbo box braids. This gorgeous braiding style is characterized by thick braids and a prominent parting pattern. Jumbo box braids make for a quick and easy protective style that is great for hot summer months and for people who don’t like to spend much time on styling their hair on a daily basis. And, the best part is that with just a little bit of practice, you can do them yourself right at home! Here’s how…
How To Jumbo Box Braid Your Hair At Home
What You Need
- Wide toothed comb
- Rat tail comb
- Sectioning clips
- Edge wax
- Hair elastics
- Hair extensions
- Boiling hot water
What To Do
- Do a hot oil treatment, wash, and condition your hair the day before you jumbo box braid it.
- Use a wide toothed comb to remove all the knots and tangles from your hair.
- Section away all the hair at the top of your head, leaving loose the hair from about 3 inches above the nape of your neck.
- With the tail end of your rat tail comb, create a square shaped parting about 3” x 3” in size.
- Smoothen down the edges of the parting with edge wax and tie the hair tightly with a hair elastic.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to divide all your hair and form the foundation of your jumbo box braids.
- Pick up a thick weft of hair extensions and fold it in half to form an upside down U.
- Place either side of the U on either side of one section of your natural hair.
- Redivide the hair extensions into 3 sections and add your natural hair into one of the sections.
- Braid with these 3 sections right till the end and secure it by burning the ends with a lighter for about 3-5 seconds.
- Repeat points 7 to 10 on all the sections of hair to create your jumbo box braids.
- Dunk the ends of all your braids in a mug of boiling hot water to fuse them together and secure them completely.
Now that your hair is all done up in jumbo box braids, let’s look at all the gorgeous ways you can style it!
20 Brilliant Ways To Style Your Jumbo Box Braids
1. Star Accessorized Jumbo Box Braids
Beauty lies in simplicity and this jumbo box braids style follows that dictum to a T. If you don’t like going over the top with your protective style, just go for these basic black jumbo braids and style them by pulling back the ones in the front. Accessorize these with a couple of star beads to add a bit of sparkle to your whole look.
2. Red Accented Jumbo Box Braids Ponytail
A great way to keep your jumbo box braids off your face on hot days or when you’re working out is to tie them in a simple high ponytail. But you can take this basic look to the next level by going for some red accent extensions in your braids and styling them with some ribbons and silver beads. Rest assured that no one will be able to keep their eyes off of you!
3. Platinum Blonde Jumbo Box Braids
If you need some interesting hair inspiration, all you need to do is scroll through Blac Chyna’s Instagram feed. Girl knows what she’s doing when it comes to her protective style. If you have a dramatic hair transformation in mind, then you absolutely need to go for these platinum blonde jumbo box braids look. And you could go do what Blac Chyna did and encrust them with REAL diamonds. But I would suggest going for some rhinestones to get that bling in your hair.
4. Criss Cross Accented Jumbo Box Braids
A simple way to add a touch of glamour to your plain jet black jumbo box braids is to play around with some colored thread to accent them. To go for that royal touch, accent some of your braids with gold and copper threads wrapped in a zigzag pattern around them.
5. Blunt Cut Off Jumbo Box Braids
What use is sporting a protective style if you don’t try some wild experiments with it, right? So here’s one you can check out. Instead of going for tapered, natural looking ends, secure the ends of your jumbo braids a couple of inches before the ends with hair elastics. Cut off the ends evenly to give them a blunt cut look. Style these jumbo braids in a long bob style to create an edgy fashion forward look.
6. Funky Pink And Blue Jumbo Box Braids
Ditch the boring old black and brown hair looks and pick up some colorful extensions to go for a funky fresh vibe. These brick patterned jumbo braids done up with cotton candy pink and electric blue extensions are sure to make you the life of the party and the center of attention wherever you go.
7. Gold Beaded Jumbo Box Braids
When you get basic jumbo box braids, it can be pretty easy to get bored of them within a few weeks. Infuse new life into your protective style with the help of just a few gold bead accessories. Insert them on your braids as and where your heart desires and watch your simple hair look transform into something magical!
8. Colorfully Threaded Jumbo Box Braids
Heading back to school and want to add a pop of color to your hair look? Then, bust out some colorful threads and get going! Accent some of your braids with these colorful threads wrapped in a zigzag pattern and tie them up in a half bun to create a fun and fresh hair look.
9. Burgundy Box Braids
There’s a reason why people go for dark and mysterious looks. It’s because it looks sexy as hell. If that’s the look that you’re aiming for, then a burgundy shade in your protective style will work brilliantly. Go for these burgundy jumbo box braids with triangular partings and gold accessories to get a gorgeous hair look.
10. Blue Ombre Jumbo Box Braids
You know what’s great about sporting jumbo box braids? It’s that you can still sport the latest hair coloring trends without damaging your natural hair one bit! For instance, you could rock these blue ombre jumbo box braids in a half up style to look totally baller.
11. Simple Side Parted Jumbo Box Braids
Just because you’re going for a protective style does not mean that you have to go crazy and over the top with it. This is especially important if you work at an organization that frowns upon colored hair. So, what can you do? You can go for some simple black jumbo box braids parted on one side to create a chic and elegant hair look.
12. Accessorized Jumbo Box Braids Long Bob
Long hair may be a classic, but bob hair looks have a beauty of their own. This jumbo box braids style done up in a long bob looks like something straight off of a runway. Complement the braids with some silver accessories and you’re good to go!
13. Texturized Jumbo Box Braids
Yes, you can play around with colors when it comes to styling your jumbo box braids. But there is another way that you can experiment with your style here. You can play around with textures! To create a fashion forward hair look, you can go for some texturized box braids accented with some red extensions and tied up in a half bun.
14. Triangular Parted Jumbo Box Braids
Jumbo box braids are all the rage and we all know that. But did you know there’s another way to make them look even more beautiful? With some interesting patterned parting! Since your partings are super prominent in jumbo box braids, you can go for this awesome triangular pattern that will make for an edgy hair look.
15. Violet Jumbo Box Braids
Unleash your inner goth chick into the world and go for some awesome dark jumbo box braids. A dark violet hue will serve you well to match your emo persona. Do them up in a triangular parting pattern to make for a simple but gorgeous hair look.
16. Navy Blue Jumbo Box Braids
If your style statement relies on subtlety, then you need to pick out colors for your braids that do not scream for attention. These navy blue jumbo box braids look sleek and gorgeous as they are. But when hit with light, they come alive to make to make you look like an absolute angel.
17. Glossy Brown Jumbo Box Braids
It’s amazing how changing your hair color can transform your whole appearance. If you’re looking for a fresh start and want a hair look to go with it, here’s a jumbo box braids style that will serve you well. Do your jumbo box braids up with some glossy brown extensions and tie them up in a half bun to create a stunning hair look.
18. Spider Parted Jumbo Box Braids
When it comes to creating the partings for your jumbo box braids, it’s a crazy world out there. Simple square and diamond patterned partings are one thing, but these spider web partings take the look to a whole new, very cool level. Throw in some brown accent braids and tie half your hair up in some space buns to show off your cool look.
19. Jumbo Box Braids Bun
Don’t want your jumbo box braids flying around all over the place? No problem. Tie them up in a big top bun that you can wear to lounge around the house or with a fancy dress to attend a wedding. To add a bit of oomph to your bun style, simply throw in some accent braids in bright colors like blonde and red.
20. Spiral Accented Jumbo Box Braids
Up your jumbo box braids to a whole new level with this accessorised look that is one for the ages. Start off by getting your jumbo box braids done up in diamond shaped partings. Throw in a couple of braids in a bright red shade to add a pop of color. Finish off by accenting the braids with some gold bead and spiral accessories to complete your flawlessly fierce look.
There you go, ladies! Our rundown of the best ways to style your beautiful jumbo box braids! Comment below to let us know which ones you can’t wait to try out!
Latest posts by Arshiya Syeda (see all)
- 15 Best At-Home Laser Hair Removal Products – 2018 - March 26, 2018
- How To Air Dry Hair – Best Ways To Air Dry Hair Of All Types - March 23, 2018
- How To Tell The Difference Between Psoriasis And Eczema On Your Scalp - March 21, 2018
- How To Treat Scabs On Your Scalp - March 14, 2018
- The Amazing Benefits Of Bentonite Clay For Hair - March 12, 2018