Are you looking for a solution to deal with stress? Do you want to feel better, look better, and live better? Would you believe me if I told you that the solution to all of this is breathing well? Yes, you read it right. It is as simple as that if you do it right.
Tension and anxiety are by-products of our fast-paced modern lifestyle. And it is best to explore natural healing methods of various cultural traditions that give long-lasting results. Sudarshan Kriya is one such method from the ancient yogic science of India. Here, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about it. Scroll down to find out more.
What Is Sudarshan Kriya?
‘Su’ means proper, and ‘darshan’ means vision. ‘Kriya’ in yogic science means to purify the body. As a whole, Sudarshan Kriya means ‘proper vision by purifying action.’ Sudarshan Kriya Yoga is a unique breathing practice that involves cyclical breathing patterns that range from slow and calming to rapid and stimulating. In this Kriya, you take control of your breath, which positively affects your immune system, nerves, and psychological problems.
According to a 2009 published study of Harvard Medical School, Sudarshan Kriya yoga can effectively address anxiety and depression. The method is inexpensive and risk-free and has favorable effects on your mind-body connection. With environmental pollution, bad eating habits, and a sedentary lifestyle bogging you down, Sudarshan Kriya is a way out for you to lead a better life.
Read on to find out its process. Remember, you must be initiated into the Kriya only by a certified yoga teacher or guru.
The Sudarshan Kriya Technique
Before starting the kriya, sit in the Vajrasana position.
1. Ujjayi (Victorious Breath)
Ujjayi requires you to breathe consciously. You can feel your breath by touching your throat. Ujjayi is a slow breathing process where you inhale and exhale in a relaxed manner, keeping the durations of inhalation and exhalation equal. This technique requires you to take 2-4 breaths per minute approximately. Slow breathing trains you to gain control over your breath and lets you prolong it till the exact count. Ujjayi calms you down and keeps you alert.
2. Bhastrika (Bellows Breath)
In Bhastrika, you will have to inhale and exhale air rapidly and forcefully. You should be able to do 30 breaths per minute. The breathing style is primarily short and quick. The duration of the exhalations should be twice that of the inhalations. Bhastrika has the unique effect of stimulating the body followed by calmness.
3. Om Chant
The pure sound of ‘Om,’ the basis of all life, is chanted 3 times. The chanting of Om connects you to the origin of the universe and the purpose of life. Om runs in your breath that sustains life. Om, when said out loud, is divided into three parts – A-U-M. After chanting two Oms, there should be silence. It represents a state of bliss when you can experience the Supreme.
4. Kriya (Purifying Breath)
The third and the most important form is the Kriya, which is an advanced form of breathing. It requires you to breathe in slow, medium, and fast cycles. The breaths should be cyclical and rhythmic. Make sure that the duration of your inhalations is twice that of your exhalations. This final step clears your vision and purifies your being.
The whole process will take you about 45 minutes, and you can practice it at any time of the day. Avoid doing it immediately after having a meal.
Various international educational organizations studied and proved that Sudarshan Kriya has no known side effects. They documented its manner of teaching and effectiveness. Sudarshan Kriya will do wonders for you when learned from an expert yoga teacher who will guide you through it well. It is not recommended to try it on your own.
Sudarshan Kriya must be done right under the guidance of a yoga teacher. Otherwise, it will be ineffective and maybe even harmful. Make sure you are physically and mentally eligible to do the Sudarshan Kriya by consulting your doctor and yoga instructor. It is best if pregnant women, those under alcohol and drug abuse, and people suffering from extreme mental illness avoid this Kriya.
Benefits Of Sudarshan Kriya
- Sudarshan Kriya improves your overall health and well-being
- It increases your energy levels and strengthens the immune system
- It reduces the cholesterol levels and improves organ functions
- The Kriya trains you to deal with challenging situations in a better manner
- It will clear your head of unnecessary clutter and improve your sleep quality
- It enhances your brain function and ups your creativity
- Sudarshan Kriya reduces stress and eases anxiety
- It works wonders for post-traumatic stress disorder and depression
- It will relax you completely and help you attain inner peace
- The Kriya will ease out the tensions in your personal relationships and build a bond of joy, harmony, and love
- It will make you aware of yourself and your surroundings
- It will increase your confidence levels and make you more patient
Now that we know how to do Sudarshan Kriya, what are you waiting for? Let’s take a look at some of the frequently asked questions regarding the practice.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What is the difference between yoga and Sudarshan Kriya?
Yoga is much more than the physical exercises. It involves engaging with the mind and breath. Sudarshan Kriya taps your inner energy and connects you to the source of life.
What is the solution to anger?
Anger is okay only if it lasts for a little while. Otherwise, it is damaging to your being. The good news is you can fix it with meditation.
Now that you know that a relatively simple process like Sudarshan Kriya can help you achieve mental, physical, emotional, and social well-being, nothing should stop you from enrolling in a class and learning it from a certified yoga instructor. Find a place and get started!
- 10 Minutes Yoga With 7 Stress Relieving Asanas That Will Rejuvenate You
- 8 Yoga Mudras To Overcome Any Ailments!!
- The A To Z Of Stress – Types, Symptoms, Causes And Effects
- How To Ease Stress And Anxiety Using Reflexology?
Latest posts by Ramya Achanta (see all)
- Best Butt Enhancement Creams For A Shapely Body – Our Top 10 - December 5, 2017
- Top 10 Protein Powders For Women - November 29, 2017
- Best In-Shower Body Lotions – Our Top 12 - November 27, 2017
- Best Organic Body Washes – Our Top 12 - November 24, 2017
- Top 10 Skin Exfoliants In India That You Need To Try - November 24, 2017