Do you have a fetish for seafood? Do you enjoy experimenting with different kinds of fishes at home? Is cooking fish your forte? If the answer is a yes, then this post is perfect for you!
Salmon is one of the most popular and best-selling fishes in the world. It is a favourite dish and almost a staple food in every European country. Even America loves salmon!
But did you know salmon is more than just a scrumptious seafood? It has surprising health benefits that you should definitely learn about.
What Is Salmon?
One of the best seafood of all times, salmon is a wonderful source of omega 3 fatty acids and proteins. Popularly known to us Indians as samaan, the fish is packed with several nutrients that give away a myriad of health benefits. Not only that, salmon can be cooked in various delicious ways. It tastes the best when baked and fried, and some people love to incorporate it in salads. Salmon is prepared almost everywhere in the world and has featured in many culinary competitions, such as MasterChef. Plus, if you notice carefully, some of the world’s renowned chefs love to cook salmon.
Now that you have been given enough reasons, it’s high time you learn more about this popular seafood!
1. Good For Your Bones:
Salmon fish is very good for your bone health. It contains calcium in abundance along with calcitonin, that maintains the calcium levels in your body. This is also one of the top reasons why calcium has been used to prevent bone and joint diseases like osteoarthritis.
2. Reduces The Threat Of A Heart Attack:
With salmon, you may also expect a healthier heart and a better cardiovascular system. Salmon contains omega 3 fatty acids that help in the reduction of hypertension, heart attacks and atherosclerosis. Salmon also prevents your arteries from getting blocked and makes you less prone to inflammation. According to a study conducted by the American Medical Association, it was found out that those who ate more helpings of fish dropped their chances of developing heart diseases by one-third (1).
3. Improves Brain Function:
Salmon uplifts your spirits and allows your mind to think better. Not just that, it will boost and improve activity and allow you to think clearly. The fish contains omega 3 fatty acids such as DHA that will boost the memory and the brain function (2). If you have small children at home, feed them some salmon regularly. It will help them pay more attention while studying and keep them away from conditions like attention deficiency disorder.
4. Allows You To Sleep Better:
With salmon, you may also improve your sleeping patterns. If you have been suffering from insomnia or know someone who is, make sure you tell them to eat more salmon. It will help you sleep much better at night without waking up in the middle. Salmon will keep you relaxed like a child because it contains tryptophan that acts like a sedative. This, automatically, results in a better sleep at night.
5. Improves Vision:
Improving your vision is now possible without visiting the doctor. With salmon, you can protect your eyes and boost your vision in the long run. It will not only help you see clearly but will also keep eye ailments, such as dry eyes and macular degeneration, at bay. This is because salmon contains flavonoids and other fatty acids that have a good effect on your eyes.
6. Helps You Lose Weight:
Salmon is also ideal for those who want to lose weight. A hundred grams contain 208 calories, which is enough to fill up your stomach during lunch. There are also healthy ways to cook salmon. Do try some of the recipes in this
How To Select And Store Salmon?
Before you start to prepare salmon at home, it is important to know how to select and store the fish. Salmon can be purchased as steaks, fillets, smoked or canned. Fresh salmon is very smooth and has moist skin. When you are selecting, notice whether its eyes are dark and clear. If you do not eat fresh salmon within a few days, then it is best to freeze the fish. If it is frozen or thawed, it should never be refrozen.
Delicious And Healthy Salmon Recipes To Try:
1. Marinated Salmon With Mangoes And Kiwi Fruits:
There couldn’t be a better way to spice up your salmon dish this season than this quick, easy and healthy recipe. Fruits are always a healthy addition and tend to be super low in calories.
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 spoons of soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Some black pepper
- 4 salmon fillets
- Half a cup of diced mangoes
- Half a cup of sliced kiwi
- Some fresh cilantro
- Orange juice
- Add the first four ingredients together in a plastic bag. Add the fish to the bag. Marinate it for the next couple of minutes. You may also turn it occasionally.
- While the fish is marinating, heat a grill pan with the help of a large skillet that has over medium-high heat. Gently remove the fish from the bag and remove the marinade.
- Next, you have to coat the pan using a cooking spray and add the fish to it.
- Let it cook for the next five minutes.
- While the fish is being cooked, you may prepare the relish alongside. Use the mango along with the rest of the ingredients. Serve this on the top of the fish.
2. Salmon With Maple And Lemon Glaze:
Salmon with maple and lemons taste lovely, especially when you see the lovely brown crust. You can serve with the usual potato wedges and peas.
- 2 spoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 spoons of maple syrup
- 1 spoon of cider vinegar
- 1 spoon of canola oil
- 4 ounces of salmon fillets
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Some ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Heat the broiler first.
- Add the first four ingredients and place in a big plastic bag. Add the fish to the bag and seal it.
- Let the fish stay in the refrigerator for the next 10 minutes.
- Place the marinade in the microwave and let it heat for a minute or so.
- Now preheat a large skillet. Add the salmon, salt and pepper in an even manner.
- Coat the pan using some cooking spray. Add the fish to the pan and let it cook for the next three minutes.
- Turn the fish over now and let it marinate.
- Allow it to broil for three minutes approximately and test using a fork.
- Your dish is now ready to serve.
How did you like this post? Have you tried these salmon dishes before? Let us know your experiences by leaving us a comment below.
Latest posts by Naomi (see all)
- The Ultimate Guide To Merkaba Meditation - September 14, 2015
- 8 Energizing Foods To Eat After A Morning Run - September 11, 2015
- 6 Fascinating Health Benefits Of Quercetin - September 7, 2015
- 6 Surprising Ways Salmon Can Benefit Your Health - September 2, 2015
- 7 Remarkable Ways Tapioca Can Benefit You - August 26, 2015