As evident from its name, the 1000 calorie diet is a form of eating routine that restricts the daily caloric intake to 1000 calories.This dietary programme is suitable for those who wish to lose weight fast and therefore restrict their daily consumption to those foods which provide not more than 1000 calories.This diet is appropriate for rebalancing your digestive system after a period of unhealthy nutrition since an unhealthy body cannot lose weight effectively.
[ Read: Mediterranean Diet Foods ]
How does the 1000 Calorie Diet work?
The rationale behind the 1000 calorie Indian diet plan is that the drastic reduction of caloric intake results in weight loss with little or no additional physical activity. Besides, a significant drop in caloric intake below what is needed to maintain the current weight or ideal weight, you also drop below what you burn while at rest i.e. sleeping, sitting etc.
Being a minimal calorie diet programme, 1000 calories programme generates energy shortage of 500 to 1000 calories each day since the recommended daily caloric intake is 2000 calories depending upon age, gender and other clinical situations of the dieter. This drastic cut in 50% of the normal caloric intake can lower weight by 0.5 Kg to 1 Kg every week. This eating routine burns approximately 8% of fat in several months. A low calorie plan can provide around 200 to 800 calories per day by limiting calories from carbohydrate food and retaining proteins. This leads to starvation, thus enabling a person to shed significant pounds each week.
[ Read: Low Fat Diet Plan ]
The 1000 Calorie Diet Menu:
The 1000 calorie diet focuses on smaller and frequent meals as well as lowering the intake of fat, sugar and carbohydrates. Alcohol is strictly prohibited but diet soda and black coffee can be taken in moderation. Exercise is not required as there is little energy left for any exercise on account of low caloric intake.
- The selection of food items should be done very carefully such that a healthy diet menu is put together in order to get the desired results.
- The 1000 calories diet plan should incorporate foods that are rich in vitamin B, proteins and fibres normally found in wheat foods and enzymes.
- Calcium can be included by taking low fat milk foods and green vegetables. Fruits and vegetables should not be ignored.
- The diet demands a reduction in whole food types like carbs or trans-fats as your body system requires nutrition to improve overall health.
- Fruits like oranges, cantaloupes, kiwi, pears, strawberries and numerous other berries which offer minimal calories can be used in salads.
- Green veggies like spinach, celery, zucchini, broccoli and artichokes are rich in vitamins and minerals besides being low calorie ingredients.
- A single portion of cabbage contains just 35 calories but is pretty rich in nutritional fibre.
- Apart from this, vegetables like cucumber, celery and eco-friendly peppers have high water content.
1000 Calorie Diet Menu:
|Breakfast||· Banana sandwich made with 2 small slices of whole wheat bread and a small banana.· 200ml glass of orange juice|
|Morning Snack||· 100g pot of low fat fruit yoghurt|
|Lunch||· 1 whole wheat roll (45g) filled with 70g tuna (canned in brine) and 10g reduced calorie mayonnaise.· Mixed salad of 50g lettuce, 50g red or yellow sweet peppers, 10g spring onions|
|Afternoon Snack||· 28g bag of lower fat crisps (eg. Walkers Lites)|
|Dinner||· 70g Roast Chicken breast (without skin)· 80g Potatoes, mashed with 30ml semi-skimmed milk· 60g Broccoli, steamed or boiled· 50g Carrots, boiled· 100ml Gravy (made from granules)|
|Evening Snack||1 serving of low calorie Hot Chocolate Drink made with powder and water (eg. Cadbury’s Highlights)|
Keeping your system hydrated is a crucial part of this programme. Therefore, you should consume plenty of water to detoxify your body. Any kind of hard work should be avoided in the course of this plan as excessive exercise and intense sports activity can make you feel fatigued.
[ Read:Diet Plan For IBS ]
Benefits of 1000 Calorie Diet:
1. The 1000 calorie diet is considered a useful diet when it comes to burning calories at a fast rate as it is a very low calorie diet. This diet is quite apt if you intend to lose a few pounds quickly or want to pave the way for a longer term weight loss plan.
2. Besides, the sample menu of this diet plan provides good nutrition while keeping the calories minimum at the same time.
3. This diet primarily emphasizes the consumption of fruits and vegetables as they have few calories and high content of water and fibre which provide a feeling of fullness and prevent you from overeating.
[ Read: 1800 calorie ada diet ]
4. It is simple and easy to follow and encourages healthy eating along with shedding the extra pounds in order to gain a better appearance and more confidence.
Side Effects of 1000 Calorie Diet:
- As it is a very low calorie diet, it is also lacking in certain vital nutrients which provide energy to the body. Besides, calories are needed for various activities like walking, running, sleeping, even for digestion and such a drastic reduction in calories is not a healthy option.
- Due to the lack of nutrition, this diet can cause internal damage to the body in the form of dehydration, loss in muscle mass, lack of energy, slower heart rate, hair loss and weaker nails.
[ Read: Tips To Lose Weight in a Week ]
- The drastic cut in calories lowers your metabolism. A lower metabolic rate results in more rapid weight gain when the caloric intake is increased in future.
- This diet is suitable for women who have a small frame and is not considered suitable for men. Besides, it can be potentially dangerous for those people who have a well built or athletic body.
- Starvation is another ill effect of this diet. Exhaustion resulting from the diet can make you susceptible to injuries.
[ Read: Recipes For Weight Loss ]
Thus, the 1000 calorie diet does produce favourable effects in terms of weight loss in the short run but it cannot be relied upon if you wish to lose weight on a long term basis. Careful monitoring of the foods to be included in the diet is also necessary to fulfil the nutritional requirement. However, it can be dangerous for those who are on medication and proper consultation with the physician is required before resorting to this diet.
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up For Newsletter
(And get your daily dose of Beauty & Wellness tips straight to your inbox)
Latest posts by Saba (see all)
- 15 Effective Home Remedies For Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - February 5, 2015
- 15 Effective Home Remedies To Deal With Panic Attack - January 30, 2015
- 15 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Prostate Problems - January 28, 2015
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Gum Diseases - January 27, 2015