If your skinny jeans have been relegated to a remote corner of your wardrobe, it’s time to take up the 1000 calorie diet plan and lose the undesired flab.
The 1000 calorie diet plan is suitable for women who are small framed and do not work out often. In this low-calorie diet plan, dieters are allowed to take a total of 1000 calories of food per day to lose weight quickly in a short span of time.
The rationale behind the 1000 calorie diet plan is that the drastic reduction of caloric intake results in weight loss, with little or no physical activity. The 1000 calorie plan generates energy shortage of 500 to 1000 calories and helps to burn approximately 8% of fat.
Caution: You need to consult a doctor or a dietitian to know whether this diet plan will suit your body.
Women who weigh more than 165 pounds and those who lead an active life should take at least 1200 calories per day. Also, if you wish for long-term weight loss, the 1000 calorie diet is not suitable for you. If you have a complicated medical history or suffer from eating disorders, consult your doctor before starting this diet routine. There are a lot of factors that determine which diet plan is appropriate for each of us. Factors such as age, current weight, bone health, muscle health, medical history, mental health, genetics, etc. play a major role while determining the apt diet chart for each individual.
The 1000 Calorie Diet Facts
- The 1000 Calorie Diet Chart
- Video – Expert Speaks About The 1000 Calorie Diet
- What To Eat
- What Not To Eat
- 1000 Calorie Diet Recipe
- Role Of Exercise When On The 1000 Calorie Diet
- Benefits Of The 1000 Calorie Diet
- Side Effects Of The 1000 Calorie Diet
- Dos & Dont’s
1. The 1000 Calorie Diet Chart
These sample 1000 calorie diet menus will help you plan your meals and calorie intake per day. You can take other low-calorie foods, but make sure that you don’t exceed the 1000 calorie limit. If you are not sure, consult your doctor or dietitian.
- Variation 1
Meal What To Eat Calories Early Morning Apple cider vinegar and warm water. 6 Breakfast 2 boiled egg whites and a bowl of fruits. 86 Pre-Lunch 100g of low-fat yogurt. 154 Lunch Lettuce taco with yogurt sauce. 351 Post-Lunch 1 bowl of watermelon. 46 Evening Snack Green tea and 2 digestive biscuits. 142 Dinner Vegan salad with fat-free salad dressing. 221
Total Calorie Intake – 1008
Useful Tip – You can also have green tea in the morning instead of a detox drink. Green tea has 0 calories and is rich in antioxidants. It is good for your skin and digestive system.
- Variation 2
Meal What To Eat Calories Early Morning Honey, lemon juice, and warm water 70 Breakfast Oatmeal with strawberries 101 Pre-Lunch Green tea 0 Lunch Cabbage soup and 100g low-fat yogurt 227 Post-Lunch 1 peach and 1 orange 98 Evening Snack Green tea and 2 digestive biscuits 142 Dinner 1 bowl of boiled lentils with stir fried French beans, capsicum, and peas with a dash of chopped garlic 386
Total Calorie Intake – 1024
- Variation 3
Meal What To Eat Calories Early Morning Veggie smoothie made up of 1 carrot, 1 tomato, 1 cucumber, and a handful of spinach. 98 Breakfast Soy milk, 1 slice of multigrain bread, and 2 boiled egg whites. or Soy milk and 1 banana. 157 159 Pre- Lunch 1 glass buttermilk (if following a non-vegan diet). or 1 glass watermelon and kiwi juice. 40 91 Lunch Chicken clear soup with veggies. or Roasted veggies with 100g yogurt. 187 152 Post-Lunch 1 pear and 1 orange. 143 Evening Snack Green tea and 2 digestive biscuits. 142 Dinner Baked fish and 100g yogurt. Or Vegetable clear soup (cabbage, onion, garlic, carrot) with 2 slices of whole wheat bread. 296 265
Total Calorie Intake – 1050
2. Video – Expert Speaks About 1000 Calorie Diet
In this video, Stylecraze’s in-house diet expert speaks about the 1000 calorie diet. She provides a complete picture on what is good for dieters who want to try the 1000 calorie diet. Watch this video to know more:
3. What To Eat
The 1000 calorie diet focuses on smaller and frequent meals as well as lowering the intake of fat, sugar, and carbohydrates. Alcohol is strictly prohibited, but diet soda and black coffee can be taken in moderation. Rigorous exercise is not recommended as there is little energy left for any exercise on account of low caloric intake. The selection of food items should be done very carefully such that a healthy diet menu is put together to get the desired results.
- The 1000 calorie diet plan should incorporate foods that are rich in vitamin B, proteins, and fibers normally found in wheat foods and enzymes.
- The diet demands a reduction in whole food types like carbs or trans-fats as your body requires nutrition to improve overall health.
- Calcium can be included by taking low-fat milk foods and green vegetables. Fruits and vegetables should not be ignored.
- Fruits like oranges, cantaloupes, kiwi, pears, strawberries, and numerous other berries that offer minimal calories can be used in salads.
- Green veggies like spinach, celery, zucchini, broccoli, and artichokes are rich in vitamins and minerals besides being low calorie ingredients.
- A single portion of cabbage contains just 35 calories, but is pretty rich in nutritional fiber.
- Apart from this, vegetables like cucumber, celery, and eco-friendly peppers have high water content.
4. What Not To Eat
Here is the list of foods you should absolutely avoid when you are on the 1000 calorie diet:
- Fats & Oils – Coconut oil, ground nut oil, walnut oil, palm oil, avocado oil, lard and other animal fat oil, butter, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, cheese, cream cheese, and ghee.
- Seeds & Nuts – Hazelnuts, cashew nuts, watermelon seeds, walnuts, pine nuts, desiccated coconut, peanuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio, and chia seeds.
- Dry Fruits – Dates, prunes, dried currants, apricots, figs, and cranberries.
- Fruits, Veggies, And Legumes – Avocado, mango, litchi, chiku, custard apple, potato, corn, lima beans, and soybeans.
- Proteins – Beef, pork, lamb, and tofu.
5. The 1000 Calorie Diet Recipe
You can control your calorie intake per day, but that does not mean you have to eat boring food. Make your daily foods exciting and tasty using the same ol’ veggies, meat, and spices available in the supermarket, but with a twist.
1. Lettuce Taco With Yogurt Sauce
What You Need
- 2 fresh lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 red and yellow bell peppers
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 100g yogurt
- A handful of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
How To Prepare
- Season the skinless chicken breast with salt and pepper and boil it.
- Shred the boiled chicken breast.
- Grate the cucumber.
- Julienne the bell peppers and slice the tomato.
- Slice the jalapeno.
- Take 100g yogurt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the grated cucumber, a pinch of salt, and chili flakes. Mix well.
- Wash the lettuce leaves.
- Place the sliced tomatoes on the lettuce leaves.
- Add the shredded chicken.
- Add a little salt and black pepper if needed.
- Add the bell peppers and jalapenos.
- Put a generous dollop of yogurt sauce on top.
- Finally, add a few cilantro/coriander leaves.
If you are a vegetarian, instead of chicken, you can add carrots, stir-fried broccoli florets, and button mushrooms.
The skinless chicken breast is low in calories, a good source of protein, iron, and polyunsaturated fat. Cucumbers are super low in calories. They are a good source of vitamins C and A, magnesium, iron, calcium and potassium.Tomatoes are a good source of vitamins C, A, and B6, magnesium, iron, and calcium. They are also rich in fiber and have anti-cancer properties.The colorful bell peppers are rich in vitamins C and A, potassium, dietary fiber, and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and iron. Lettuce leaves are a good source of vitamins A and C, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Yogurt is a good source of good gut bacteria that help in digestion. Cilantro or coriander leaves contain high amounts of vitamins A, C, and B6, dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium, and iron. Jalapenos are a good source of vitamins C, B6, and A. Black pepper is a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin B6.
Why We Recommend This Recipe
This recipe is tasty, easy to make and is low in calories. The veggies provide you with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. The yogurt supports your digestive system. You can also make this for anyone in your family for lunch (make sure any of your family members are not allergic to any of the veggies). You can eat this in your office without any fuss, or you can relax at your home and munch on this low-calorie food while reading a book.
2. Delicious Vegan Ribbons Salad
What You Need
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- A handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- A few coriander leaves
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
How To Prepare
- Peel the zucchini and carrot into thin ribbons.
- Julienne the tomato.
- Roughly chop a handful of spinach.
- Make the salad dressing by adding sesame oil and lemon juice in a separate bowl and beating the mixture.
- Add a little salt and pepper to the salad dressing. Mix well.
- Add the salad dressing to the veggies.
- Mix well to coat the dressing evenly on the veggies.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
You can add 2-3 thin slices of turkey bacon to this salad.
Zucchini is a low-calorie food, which is a good source of vitamins C, B6, and A. It has 0% cholesterol and has a good amount of potassium, magnesium, dietary fiber, and iron. Carrots are very rich in vitamin A, potassium, magnesium, and dietary fiber. They also contain 0% cholesterol. Tomatoes are a good source of vitamins C, A, and B6, magnesium, iron, calcium, and fiber, and have anti-cancer properties. Spinach has a good amount of vitamins A, C, and B6. It is also a good source of magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, and dietary fiber. Sesame oil has 0% cholesterol and is a very good source of polyunsaturated fat. Lemon juice is a rich source of vitamins C and B6, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Coriander leaves contain high amounts of vitamins A, C, and B6, dietary fiber, calcium, magnesium, and iron.
Why We Recommend This Recipe
This vegan salad is not only low in calories, but also fun and easy to make. It is delicious in taste and can be eaten either for lunch or dinner. You can add any other veggies of your choice. The zucchini and carrot ribbons would definitely appeal to your kids, and it is also a good way to make them eat some healthy food!
6. Role Of Exercise When On The 1000 Calorie Diet
Exercising is a healthy habit. However, the 1000 calorie diet is a low-calorie diet plan for you to lose weight quickly. Rigorous exercising is not recommended for now. You can go on medium-paced walks. You can also do some stretching exercises to keep your muscles active and maintain blood circulation. You may experience weakness as you are consuming far less calories than what you generally do. You will aggravate this condition further by doing rigorous workouts. It is better to start working out after you have stopped the 1000 calorie diet.
7. Benefits Of The 1000 Calorie Diet
- The 1000 calorie diet is considered useful when it comes to burning calories at a fast rate as it is a low calorie diet. This diet is quite apt if you intend to lose a few pounds quickly, or want to pave the way for a longer term weight loss plan.
- Besides, the sample menu of this diet plan provides good nutrition while keeping the calories to a minimum at the same time.
- This diet primarily emphasizes on the consumption of fruits and vegetables as they have few calories and high content of water and fiber, which provide a feeling of fullness and prevent you from overeating.
- It is simple and easy to follow, encourages healthy eating, enables you to shed a few extra pounds, and boosts your confidence.
8. Side Effects Of The 1000 Calorie Diet
- As it is a low calorie diet, it lacks in certain vital nutrients that provide energy to the body. Calories are needed for various activities like walking, running, sleeping, and even for digestion, and such a drastic reduction in the calories is not a healthy option.
- Due to the lack of nutrition, this diet can cause internal damage to the body in the form of dehydration, loss in muscle mass, lack of energy, slower heart rate, hair loss, and weaker nails.
- The drastic cut in calories lowers your metabolism. A lower metabolic rate results in more rapid weight gain when the caloric intake is increased in future.
- This diet is suitable for women who have a small frame and is not considered suitable for men. Besides, it can be potentially dangerous for those people who have well-built or athletic bodies.
- Starvation is another ill effect of this diet. Exhaustion resulting from the diet can make you susceptible to injuries.
- It can cause fatigue, loss of concentration, and make you moody.
- It can cause insomnia.
9. Dos & Don’ts
|Things To Do||Things Not To Do|
|Follow the diet for not more than 10 days.||Do not overeat.|
|Consult your doctor before following the 1000 calorie diet.||Avoid alcohol and sweetened and carbonated beverages.|
|Go for medium-paced walks and light exercises.||Do not sit at one place for too long.|
|Include lots of fresh fruits and veggies in your diet.||Do not skip any of the meals|
|Eat good amout of proteins to build your muscle strength.||Do not take stress if you have gone a little above 1000 calories one day. Skip the bowl of watermelon the next day and have a cup of green tea instead.|
|Drink enough water.||Do not stay awake late at night.|
Let us now take a look at a few commonly asked questions.
- I am a breastfeeding mother. Is the 1000 calorie diet right for me?
While you are breastfeeding, it is not advisable to go on a low-calorie diet. You should consult your doctor or dietitian to know whether you can go on a low-calorie diet so soon.
- What lean proteins can I have while on the 1000 calorie diet?
You can have skinless chicken, turkey, fish, button mushrooms and lentils. Avoid beans , tofu, beef, and pork.
- I weigh 250 lbs and want to lose weight quickly. Can I go on the 1000 calorie diet for a month?
Different bodies have different needs. Depending on your body type, metabolic rate, genetics, age, and medical history, you have to follow a diet that will not harm your body in the long term. Exercising is a healthy option to start with. If you starve yourself, instead of losing weight, you will gain weight! Seek your doctor’s advice so that your calorie intake is reduced gradually.
- Can I lose weight without exercising if I am on the 1000 calorie diet?
Since the 1000 calorie diet has way lesser calories than what you should normally intake, you can pretty much do without exercising. I advise you to do some stretching and medium-paced walks to keep your blood circulation proper and maintain your muscle strength.
- Can I have a cheat day while on the 1000 calorie diet?
Yes, you can. Make sure you eat in less portions. This will help you the next day. If you eat about 2000 calories (or more), and the next day you want to fast, that is not an option and is not recommended at all. Once in a week, you can have slightly more than 1000 calories, say 1300-1400 calories. Nullify the effect by sticking to the diet and drinking green tea at least twice a day for the next two days.
The 1000 calorie diet is a good way to get rid of a few pounds, only if your doctor or your dietitian advises you to do so. Losing weight should not make you starve. Starving is an unscientific way to lose weight. Over time, instead of losing weight, you will gain double the weight. Always consult your doctor or dietitian to get an expert opinion. The 1000 calorie diet is a low-calorie diet and is apt for short-term weight loss goals. If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment in the comment section. Cheers to good health!
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Mediterranean Diet With Menu Plan For Better Health - August 4, 2017
- DASH Diet For Healthy Weight Loss And High Blood Pressure - July 31, 2017
- Low Glycemic Index Diet – Diet Plan, How It Works, And Benefits - July 20, 2017
- Paleo Diet For Weight Loss - July 18, 2017
- Avocado Diet For Weight Loss - July 13, 2017