The thigh area in humans is between the pelvis and the knee. Anatomically it is a part of what we call the lower limb, the upper limb being our hands. The thigh is comprised of one single bone called the femur. The femur is very dense and strong and forms a ball and socket joint at the hips and a condylar joint at the knee. We live in an age where less is more and the thigh plays an important part in the way we dress, by which I mean if we have toned and lean thighs, we would dress accordingly to flaunt them and if not we would do our best to cover them up.
However, once in a while fashion trends change and it’s not a question of flaunting or hiding anymore; instead we are forced to get into skinny jeans and slim fit pants. Here are a few tips on how to plan your workouts around eight specific fitness routines that would help you achieve toned or muscular thighs, perfect for showing off. It all depends on the right exercises for legs and thighs.
Top Eight Fitness Routine And Exercise For Legs And Thighs
Kicking is an important part of swimming even as you kick the water behind you to stay afloat and propel your body in water. As you swim on a regular basis, kicking continuously against the waters’ resistance will help build toned and muscular thighs. This is the best exercise for legs and thighs especially if you have an injury as it puts less strain on the knees!
Vigorous, long distance cycling or mountain biking helps melt cellulite and compress love handles to give way to toned muscular thighs. Most Cyclists have beautiful legs and well sculpted, toned and muscular thighs; however it takes long term diligence to get there.
3. Running And Brisk Walking
Running provides muscle and tone to the whole of the lower limbs, your thighs included. Brisk walking is also effective for achieving well toned thigh muscles and getting rid of cellulite. Walk or run daily and soon you would have thighs worth flaunting in your favorite pair of shorts.
4. Skipping Rope
Skipping rope is perfect for toning the lower body as it involves short repetitive movements that quickly activate the thigh muscles. About 400 jumps on a daily basis would be the perfect solution to cellulite and achieving great toned thighs worth showing off.
Kickboxing or Muai Thai is a Thai form of martial arts and is perfect for strengthening and toning the whole of the lower limbs including your thighs. Kickboxing is mainly comprised of quick high and low kicks in varying intensities and throwing punches. Since the lower limbs are integral to kickboxing, it is only normal that this exercise helps tone thighs and deals with love handles and cellulite.
Aerobics has been around for ages helping people stay in shape and deal with weight issues however once you have achieved normal weight status or reached your desired body type, Aerobics effectively helps you tone your body including your thighs. Aerobics involves a lot of leg movement and squats that automatically work well to build stronger more attractive thighs.
Yoga is an ancient practice originated in India that transcends the three realms of the physical, mental and spiritual growth and prosperity. Practicing yoga has great benefits for our physical bodies and yoga is made up of different asanas for different parts of our body, including our thighs. Yoga asanas for the thigh have been effective since ancient times.
Pilates is a fitness system developed in the early 20th century by Joseph Pilate and is popular in America, Germany, and The United Kingdom. Pilates is effective in building muscle and toning the inner body and is equally effective for the inner and outer thighs.
9. 90/90 Hamstring Stretch
The 90/90 hamstring is a workout that helps in leg extension and is one of the best leg stretching exercise. Our day to day stressful life puts major pressure on our legs and hence such extension gives our legs strength and loosens our muscles to avoid knots. This, done once a day with five repetitions on each side, helps in regaining your strength.
10 . Four Quad Stretches
The four quad stretches concentrate on the quadriceps and help in ensuring smooth flow of blood in the veins where there may be knots. This loosens the muscles and strengthens the core nerves at the ankles and knees. The area near the thighs gets its flow charged with this exercise along with the places where the body fluid goes stagnant.
11. Calf Stretch
This exercise is about pushing the wall while stretching the calves. The calves are our major support in the legs and they need a stretch on a daily basis. This exercise can be performed while at work or at home. One must take a position as one is pushing the wall and focus the pull on the calves. Pressurize one leg at a time.
12. Chair Leg Extended Stretch
The chair leg extended stretch is an exercise, designed to caress the hamstring. The exercise needs one to sit straight on the chair and stretch one leg as much as possible. Keep the leg in line with your knees and thighs.
13. Front Leg Raise
The front leg raise focuses the energy and easy flow of the fluid that keeps the bones and joints supple. Raise one leg in front to the highest point till you don’t lose your balance. Then repeat the same backwards. Do at least 5 on each side for better results.
14. Iron Crosses
Focusing on the quadriceps, this exercise aims to give your legs the needed pressure they require. Raise one leg at a time and tilt your hip on the opposite side and stretch. Repeat the same with the other leg and keep performing with five seconds intervals.
15. Knee Circles
Knee circles are a good way of warming up before a good sprint; they help to loosen up the nerves and calves. The knee circle focuses not only on the knees, but also the ankles and thighs. Bend the knees slightly, and circle it clockwise ten times and then anti-clockwise.
16. Rear Leg Raises
Leg stretches after a hardcore leg workout, work well for the hamstrings and calves. The exercise requires one to go on their four and stretch one leg towards the ceiling. This exercise also helps in forming a nicely shaped butt.
17. Runners Stretch
Runners stretch is for the calves and hamstrings. This helps the legs to loosen up and gives the person well-toned legs. The muscles get a good flex with this exercise.
18. Split Squats
Split squats are just the exercise your legs require. This is best for stretches and the best work out for the entire leg. This also highlights the core hinges like knees, ankles and calves.
19. Seated Hamstring Stretch
This exercise gives stretch to the back of the thigh and fixes the hamstring.
- Sit with your legs extended straight in front of you on the floor.
- Keep the feet in a relaxed position.
- Bend slowly at the hips lowering your torso towards the legs.
- Hold your feet, shins or ankles, whichever you can hold with a good amount of stretch to your thigh.
- Stretch deeper so that your quadriceps are stretched too.
20. Inner Thigh Stretching
The hip adductors or the inner thigh muscles join the hips and the legs and bring them together to form the centerline of the body. You can push open your hip adductors and stretch your inner thighs. Another stretch can be done as below:
- This is a type of sitting and squat stretch.
- Stand straight and pull your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend the knees so that the hips come down almost touching the floor in the form of a deep squat.
- Place your arms in between the inner thighs and clasp your hands.
- Push outwards and remain in this position for around 30 seconds.
- Repeat 3 to 5 times.
21. Seated Pretzel
This is the classic seated stretch that targets the upper-outer thigh and the glutes.
- Sit with your back straight on the floor and cross the legs.
- Raise the knee of your right leg and place the sole of the right foot to the left side of the left knee.
- Place the left elbow outside of the right thigh to press the thigh.
- At the same time, twist your upper body part to the right side.
- Give support of the floor to the hand so that you twist your torso properly and feel a stretch in the upper-outer thigh.
- Feel the tension along the upper outer thigh and buttock.
- Remain in this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the left leg.
22. Standing Outer Thigh Stretch
- Stand beneath the wall in a way that the right arm is close to the wall.
- Take support of the wall by placing right hand on it and then cross your left leg with the right leg in such a way that the right foot is pressing the floor.
- Push the hips in the direction of the wall while leaning the upper body in the left direction.
- This provides stretch to your right outer thigh.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Perform this stretch three times on both the sides.
23. Adductor Stretch
- Stand straight and spread the lower legs shoulder width apart.
- Lean slowly to the right and simultaneously bend your right knee while keeping the left leg straight all the time.
- Continue leaning and bending until you feel a gentle stretch inside the inner left thigh.
- Hold on in this position for 5 seconds and return to the start.
- Perform the same stretch on the left side.
With these simple exercises, you no longer have to hit the gym to lose weight or tone your thighs. Spend about half an hour practicing these exercises while listening to your favorite tracks, and watch how your thighs go from flab to fab in no time!
Are you aware of any other thigh-strengthening exercises? Do share with us in the comments section below!
Latest posts by Shruti Goenka (see all)
- Create Your Own Maybelline Makeup Kit With These 10 Amazing Products - March 18, 2014
- Top 5 Ayurvedic Products For Increasing Height – Works Wonders - March 15, 2014
- 10 Pictures Of Emma Stone Without Makeup - March 15, 2014
- 6 Main Causes Of Hair Loss In Children - March 15, 2014
- 10 Diseases Caused By Nutritional Deficiencies - March 14, 2014