When we think of delicious vegetables, we certainly do not think of Cauliflowers. But then we never think of any healthy alternatives when we think of food.
Cauliflowers belong to the cruciferous family. It is a white flowering vegetable that is known to have many health benefits. This vegetable has a good proportion of sulphur compound and is also known to support the liver’s ability to neutralize toxins. The members of this family also have the ability to prevent cancers. So read below to know more about cauliflower benefits.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Cauliflowers:
1. Promotes Heart Health:
Cauliflower is a heart healthy vegetable. This means it helps in maintaining the heart and the cardiovascular system (1).
2. Lowers Cholesterol Levels:
Cauliflower nutritional benefits include it being a rich source of fiber. This fiber helps in lowering our cholesterol levels (2).
3. Builds Healthy Immune System:
Cauliflower also contains antioxidants. Antioxidants by themselves have many benefits – they act as an anti inflammatory agent and they help build a health immune system (3).
4. Development of Fetus:
Cauliflower also helps women during pregnancy. As it is rich in folate and also vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin B, it helps in growth of cells (4). This ultimately helps in the proper development of the fetus in the womb.
Cauliflower is also a good source of vitamin C which again is beneficial during pregnancy. Thus every pregnant woman should at least eat one cup of cauliflower every day!
5. Rich Calcium Source:
Cauliflower also contains calcium which has numerous benefits. Calcium helps to make our bones and teeth strong along with many other important functions like transmission of nerve impulses (5).
6. Rich Mineral Source:
Cauliflower contains zinc, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and also selenium and sodium (6).
a. Zinc – helps in making new cells and also in healing wounds.
b. Magnesium – helps the parathyroid gland which produces hormones needed for the bone to function normally.
c. Phosphorus – helps in strengthening the bones.
d. Selenium – helps in better functioning of immune system.
e. Sodium – helps balance the fluids in the body.
f. Manganese –helps in making and activating the enzymes
7. Reduces Cancer Risks:
Cauliflower also helps in reducing the risk of cancer ex: – lung cancer, breast cancer, bladder cancer. Many of the vegetables that belong to the cruciferous family have been linked to reduce the risk of cancer ex:-broccoli, kale etc (7).
8. Promotes Weight Loss:
Cauliflower also helps us to lose weight. Cauliflower contains vitamin C which is a key element to burn fat. And it also contains folates which again help in weight loss (8) . One cup of cauliflower contains about 30 calories. It is one of the non-starchy food items that can be eaten in unlimited quantity.
9. Detoxifies the Body System:
Cauliflower helps the body to activate enzymes in the liver that aids in detoxifying many organs thus protecting the system from any harm (9).
10. Boosts Vitamin K Content:
To boost vitamin K content in your system, increase the cauliflower content in your daily diet. Vitamin k plays a key role in development of bones as it helps in development of bone cells (10). Not only that, if there is not enough vitamin K in the body, there will be an increased amount of bleeding in case of a wound or injury. This is because vitamin k plays an important role in the coagulation of blood.
Skin Benefits of Cauliflower:
As a vegetable, cauliflower already contains properties that can help you to stay fit and healthy. One of the benefits of consuming cauliflower is that it helps to rejuvenate your skin.
11. Cauliflower contains antioxidants, which work as anti-aging agents for the skin (11).
12. Vitamin C and manganese, found in abundance in cauliflower, are powerful antioxidants. The antioxidants increase the amount of oxygen in the blood and accelerate the metabolism. Healthy and fast metabolism will help you to digest easily and derive all the nutrition from your food. The more oxygen is in your blood, the more toxic materials your body will excrete. Skin becomes healthy (12), if the amount of toxic materials in your blood is low. Some of the signs of unhealthy skin are, acne, flaky skin, dark spots, wrinkles, warts, moles and rashes.
If you experience these symptoms, it is time to take some drastic measures. Cauliflower can help you to get rid of these skin problems. Simply consuming and making it a part of your diet will help your skin look younger and ageless.
Latest posts by Pubali Mukherjee (see all)
- What Is Osho Meditation And How To Practice It? - January 29, 2015
- 25 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Rashes On The Face - January 19, 2015
- 25 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Premenstrual Syndrome - December 29, 2014
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Black Jaggery - December 23, 2014