Dates, popularly called (Khajoor/Khajur) in Hindi, ‘Kharjuramu‘ in Telugu, ‘Pericham pazham‘ in Tamil, ‘Eenthapazham‘ in Malayalam, ‘Kharjoora‘ in Kannada, ‘Khejoor‘ in Bengali, ‘Khajur‘ in Gujarati and ‘Kharik‘ in Marathi. Dates are eaten as a regular dry fruit by most of the people. They are a very rich source of vitamins and minerals and are very beneficial for the body. People in the Middle East and the Indus Valley used to consume dates as a staple food. It’s a miracle fruit that does us tons of good. Keeping this in mind, it is important to try and promote the consumption of dates on a frequent basis.
Benefits Of Dates (Khajoor)
Dates are packed with a host of nutrients that provide several benefits for the skin and hair, and for your overall health. They are also known to improve eyesight and night blindness. Dates have no side effects and can be easily included in your diet.
Health Benefits Of Dates
Let’s have a look at the amazing dates’ health benefits:
1. Cholesterol And Fat
- Dates are free from cholesterol and do not contain excessive fat amounts.
- You can easily substitute fatty food items with dates, which gives you much more nutrition for the same amount of calories.
- Dates provide readily assimilable proteins that are required by the body.
- They are a rich source of the nutrients which are the main building blocks for muscles.
- Dates provide us with plenty of proteins, which are in turn very essential for the regular functioning of the body.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Apples ]
- Dates are also rich in various types of vitamins.
- It contains vitamins like B1, B2, B3, and B5, as well as A1 and C. You can easily consume most of your required dose of vitamins by making dates a part of your diet.
- You can have dates for a quick snack as the natural sugars in it boosts the body’s energy.
- It avoids the need for you to have an unhealthy snack or a high-calorie meal.
5. Potassium And Sodium
- Dates are rich in potassium and have very less sodium, which is a good combination for a healthy nervous system.
- The potassium in the dates reduces cholesterol and also lessens the risk of a stroke.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Mangoes ]
- Iron is an important element for the human body.
- Dates are rich sources of iron. People who are suffering from iron deficiency can include dates in their diet to hike their iron levels.
- The fluorine in dates helps prevent tooth decay.
- People suffering from constipation should have dates soaked in water.
8. Weight Gain And Intoxication
- Dates are good supplements for weight gain.
- They are also used for detoxifying the body after over-consumption of alcohol.
9. Sexual Advantage
- Dates are known to increase one’s sexual stamina. It has been used as an aphrodisiac since ages.
- For this purpose, dates have to be soaked overnight in goat milk and consumed the next morning.
10. Abdominal Cancer Cure
- Dates help in curing abdominal cancer.
- The benefits of dates are so many that one must make it a habit to include dates in their daily diet.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Cherries ]
11. Instant Energy Provider
Medjool dates, or any dates for that matter, are packed with carbohydrates. They are an instant pick-me-up if you’re running low on energy. Two dates will give you 40gm of carbohydrates, saving from dry food spell.
12. Healthy Stomach
Dates are rich in fiber, and they make our stomachs and intestines stronger than ever. Dietary fiber has many benefits, ranging from controlling blood sugar to promoting weight loss. Medjool dates supply you with nearly 30% of your daily fiber requirements, which helps with digestion.
13. Constipation Control
Are constipation problems making you waste long hours in the toilet? Then you’ve got to have Medjool dates. It will ease up that constipation trouble within no time (1). Why? That’s the fiber working its charm in your intestines.
The dates will similarly help harden stools in case of diarrhea. Gotta stay out of the toilet if great things should happen in life, isn’t that right?
14. Healthy Teeth And Bones
If you want a perfect smile and beautiful frame, have dates. Their manganese content contributes to calcium absorption, giving good teeth and good bones.
Skin Benefits Of Dates
Dates are one of the sweetest fruits in the world. As mentioned earlier, dates are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium. These nutrients not only boost our overall health, but also make our skin beautiful and supple.
Let’s take a look at the skin benefits provided by dates:
15. Skin Elasticity
- Dates are a good source of vitamin C and vitamin P. These help enhance the skin’s elasticity.
- The nutrients in dates also enhance the quality of the subcutaneous tissues, making your skin tender and smooth.
- Regular intake of dates can combat various skin problems, as well as strengthen the elasticity of your skin.
16. Anti-Ageing Benefits
- Free radicals damage your skin cells, causing premature aging of skin. Vitamin C present in dates helps resist oxidation.
- It also prevents the accumulation of melanin in your body.
- The nutrients in dates prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
- Dates have been considered as the herbal elixir of life since ages. They are renowned for enriching and replenishing blood, thus providing you with a youthful-looking skin.
17. Treatment Of Skin Problems
- Vitamin B contained in dates is beneficial for your skin
- Deficiency of this vitamin can lead to several skin problems
18. Massage Oil
- The oil extracted from dates is loaded with the nutritional value of dates.
- They also contain anti-microbial properties which make it a perfect massage oil to treat skin problems.
- In fact, it is a popular age-old remedy for regenerating and rejuvenating aging skin and healing cuts and scars.
Hair Benefits Of Dates
The health of your hair depends on your overall health. Hair follicles require an adequate supply of nutrients for optimal growth and maintenance. Being packed with several nutrients, dates offer the following benefits to your hair:
19. For Hair Follicles
Dates are excellent for your hair. Consuming two to three dates every day will strengthen your hair follicles and make your hair strands stronger and healthier.
20. Hair Loss
Vitamin B contained in dates is beneficial for your hair. Deficiency of this vitamin can lead to weak and brittle hair.
- Anemia is also one of the causes of hair loss, especially among women. Dates contain iron, which can effectively cure anemia caused due to menstruation and delivery. Therefore, eating dates is a natural way of treating hair loss problems.
- In case of excessive hair fall, try eating dry dates. They can nourish your hair roots, thus making your hair stronger.
21. Healthy Hair
Being packed with nutrients, dates oil is excellent for your hair as it strengthens the hair follicles and helps combat hair problems. Regular application of this oil will make your hair thick and strong, and reduce breakage.
How To Select And Store?
- Dates are generally sold whole, packaged in narrow boxes or pressed into blocks.
- While buying fresh dates, look for plump, moist and unbruised fruits that are soft with glossy skins.
- Fresh dates can be slightly wrinkled but they should not feel hard and should not have crystallized sugar on their skins.
- Fresh and dried dates have a similar appearance, except that dried dates are a little wrinkly.
- They should look plump and glossy and have an even color.
- Fresh dates, when kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator, can be stored for up to 6 months.
- Dried dates, having a longer shelf life, can be stored in the same manner for up to 1 year.
- Freezing the dates extends their lifespan when kept in an airtight plastic bag or container.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Medjool Dates ]
Tips For Usage (Cooking/Eating)
Due to their sweet and chewy texture, dates can be consumed directly. Before consuming dates or using them in cooking, make sure you wash them thoroughly. Moreover, you should buy and eat only those dates which have been properly packed and processed. Dates are, indeed, one of the few fruits that can be eaten easily and quickly. Given below are a few tips to enjoy these delicious fruits.
1. Snacks And Flavor Enhancers
- Dried dates can be eaten directly as snacks.
- They can also be soaked in liquids like tea or various types of alcohol to boost their flavor and moisture.
2. Tips To Remove The Seed From Flesh
- To remove the seed from a fresh date, push it out with your fingers by slitting it open lengthways.
- Remove and push the flesh closed again.
- Its flesh can also be removed by pulling the stem off and then pinching at one end to push the flesh out.
3. Perfect For Stuffing
- Dates can be stuffed with fillings like almonds, walnuts, candied orange, and cream cheese. They are perfect for stuffing.
- They can also be stuffed with almonds or pecans and rolled in powdered sugar.
- Put them on a greased wax paper and place it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- They can be served with tea or coffee.
4. Perfect Ingredient For Fruit Salads
- They can be chopped and added to fruit salads as well as a range of sweet and savory dishes.
- Stir together shallot and lime juice in a small bowl and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in olive oil, sugar, and salt.
- Cut and peel the white pith from a grapefruit with a sharp knife and cut the sections free from the membranes.
- Toss some dates with mustard greens in a large bowl.
- Toss the mustard greens with dressing and salt to taste.
- This salad can be topped with grapefruit sections and garnished with pomegranate seeds.
5. Used To Prepare ‘Jallab’
- This is combined with grape molasses and rose water to prepare a syrup called “Jallab”, which is popular in the Middle East.
6. As Chocolate Dip
- Chocolate covered dates are a perfect dessert choice.
- Dip your dates in chocolates and place them on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- You can stuff these dates with a nut of your choice.
- Melt some chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for about 3 minutes.
- With the help of a skewer, dip each date in chocolate
- Allow the excess chocolate to drip off by carefully rotating the skewer.
- These dipped dates can be placed in the parchment and sprinkled with coconut flakes.
- Refrigerate them for about 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
7. Used In Preparation Of Sandwich
- You can prepare a delicious sandwich by combining dates with peanut butter and bananas.
- Lightly toast whole wheat pita bread and cut into halves.
- Open the pita pockets
- Spread 2 tablespoons peanut butter on one side of each pita pocket.
- Sprinkle some chopped dates over peanut butter and drizzle with honey.
- Place banana slices on the pita pockets and close the sandwiches, pressing slightly.
8. For Candies And Decorating Buns
In the Middle East, dates are made into a paste which is eaten with fruits, put into candies and used for decorating buns.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.15 g||<1%|
|Dietary Fiber||6.7 g||18%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.805 mg||16%|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin K||2.7 µg||2%|
With so many ways of having dates, we are absolutely sure that you will include this healthy fruit in your diet. Make it a habit of eating dates regularly. They are good for health, act as a beauty agent, and are oh-so-delicious! Once you start including dates in your diet, the only side effect you will have to handle is a whole lot of compliments! Try it, and you will be hooked for life.
- 8 Serious Side Effects Of Dates
- 4 Simple Ways In Which Dates Help Control Diabetes
- How Can Dates Help You Lose Weight?
- 11 Amazing Benefits Of Dates Juice For Skin, Hair And Health