Do you find yourself getting tensed for every minor issue in your life? Do you react arrogantly when problems confront you? What are you doing to change the situation?
If you really aren’t doing anything, and are looking for something that can help you change yourself into a better human being, then we have a solution! It is vipassana meditation! Want to know more about it and how it can help you? Sit back and read on!
What Is Vipassana?
Vipassana meditation helps you to increase your concentration levels. It helps to calm your mind. It allows you to face challenges without getting agitated.
What Is Vipassana Meditation Technique?
As you read below, you will find the step-by-step procedure to vipassana meditation.
1. Find A Right Place:
Select a corner of the house that is free from noise. There shouldn’t be noise rising out of conversations or traffic honks. Even the slightest noise can distract you. Do not use earplugs to silence the noise. Ideally, choose the floor to sit on. The meditation hall doesn’t have to be too large. A small place should work as long as it is comfortable for you.
2. Comfortable Clothing:
Wear loose clothes. Do not wear shoes while you meditate. You can keep away the belts if you are wearing. Do not wear clothes such as jackets.
3. Sitting Style:
There are several ways in which you can sit for vipassana meditation.
- Half Lotus: It is one of the most common sitting positions for vipassana meditation.Cross your legs. Keep the right foot on your left thigh.
- Full Lotus: Take up this position only if your body is flexible. Cross your legs. Keep your right foot on your left thigh and left the foot on your right thigh.
- Tailor Fashion: Tailor fashion is the Indian style of sitting on the floor. Cross your legs such that your left leg is below you right leg. And right foot is below your left foot.
- Burmese Style: It is similar to the Indian style of sitting on the ground. Cross your legs. Cross them in such a way that no leg of yours is below the other. Both are in front of your pelvis.
Whichever style of sitting you choose, once you are comfortable, keep your hands in your lap. One palm over the other.
Now, close your eyes and get ready to concentrate.
There are several forms of exercise that you can carry out. Below is one of the examples:
As you close your eyes, choose a point on the vertical mid-line of your body. It could be a point few inches above your navel. Don’t try to look at that point. Just focus your mind there. Now, breathe in and breathe out. When you breathe in, your stomach rises. When you breathe out, it reduces.
Concentrate on the rising and falling movements of your stomach. You can put your hand on your stomach to feel the movements. As you focus on the movements, you realize the rising and falling is not a continuous string. These are two separate actions, just like how a stone that you throw up in the air remains stagnant for a second before falling down. Vipassana meditation is all about ‘knowing’, and not about ‘thinking’. When you try to understand your abdominal movements, you are actually getting to know how your stomach performs it.
In Vipassana meditation, you must observe only one thing at a time.
5. Learn To Let Go:
The prime purpose of most meditation forms is to teach you to let go. How do you learn that here? To focus on the falling movement of the stomach, you have to let go of observing the rising movement.
Now that you know how to do vipassana meditation at home, let us know if you’ll give it a try. Do share with us what you experience post your first vipassana meditation! Comment in the box below!
- Deep Meditation Procedure And Techniques
- An Introduction To “Alpha Meditation” – Procedure and Techniques
- Deepak Chopra Meditation – Procedure And Techniques
- Mindfulness Meditation- What Is It And What Are Its Benefits?
Latest posts by Chetana (see all)
- What Happens 10 Minutes Before A Heat Stroke? - December 15, 2015
- Skin Gym Face Fitness For A Younger And Healthy Face - June 25, 2015
- 10 Best Health Benefits Of Chicory Root - June 24, 2015
- Is Coconut Oil An Effective Remedy To Treat Candida? - June 22, 2015
- 10 Side Effects Of Neem You Should Be Aware Of - June 18, 2015