Do you want thighs like a footballer—ripped, defined, and strong? A lot of serious exercisers want sculpted thighs but cannot seem to get that perfect shape despite rigorous running and jogging. Well defined thighs not just look good, but also help to strengthen the legs. Regular exercising does not give the leg muscles a thorough workout. For that you need something special, like the Wall Sit Workout!
Wall Sits are great in working out the two groups of muscles in your thigh. Repetitions of Wall Sits would naturally give you thighs that can withstand prolonged strenuous activities.
How to do a Wall Sit:
Wall Sits are not very complicated or hard to grasp, but a lot of people still get it wrong. Here is how to do it:
- Lean against the wall with your feet planted firmly on the ground, shoulder width apart. Your feet should also be about two feet away from the wall.
- Now slowly slide down the wall with your back pressed against it until your legs are bent at a right angle. This angle is very crucial because if your thighs are not parallel to the ground, your muscles will not get a good workout.
- Your knees should also be directly above your ankles and your back should be touching the wall at all times.
- Depending on your strength, hold the position for 20 seconds to a minute. Rest for half a minute in between and do three sets of repetitions.
- As you gain strength, increase your holding time by 10 seconds. While a burning feeling in the quadricep muscles is normal, if you feel even a little pain in your knee or kneecap, immediately stop the activity.
Get it checked by a physician to see if any damage has been done to your knee.
[ Read: Knee Strenghtening Exercises ]
How to do a Modified Wall Sit:
This is a similar wall sit exercise, but of lesser intensity. So those who are not yet accustomed to Wall Sits can perform this exercise and acclimatize their muscles to it before moving on to the full fledged routine. Also, some people may have some injury or problem (like an old injury to the knee) that may be aggravated by the normal wall sit workout. They can resort to this modified wall sits for imparting strength to their glutes.
In the modified wall sit, you do not have to slide down quite as far as required in the normal version of the exercise. Instead of a right angle, target an angle of 45 degrees or 30 degrees between your thighs and torso. This will reduce the load on your knees and quads. You can also try holding the position for a shorter period of time to reduce the intensity of the exercise. You can increase the holding time gradually as your body permits.
[ Read: Exercises To Get Rid Of Back Pain ]
Benefits of Wall Sits:
Primarily, wall sitting builds your isometric strength and endurance in glutes, calves and quadriceps. The muscles present at the front of your thighs are the quadriceps. One of these four quadricep muscles is the rectus femoris, which helps to move your thigh and torso closer. Doing wall sits increases the strength and endurance of this muscle. The hamstring muscle present at the back of the knee work in rhythm with the quadriceps. Wall sits also strengthen the hamstring muscle. The adductor muscles present in the inner thigh can also be strengthened with wall sits.
Wall sits are often done before the skiing season to increase strength of the legs. As wall sits separate out the quads, it does not provide an overall workout. So, it has to be done in combination with other exercises that bulk up the quad muscles, like walking lunges and some basic plyometric exercises. If all of these are done regularly in repetitions, you will be able to take part in activities like skiing without any problem or discomfort.
[ Read: Neck Strengthening Exercises ]
Hope you found this article helpful. Do share your views with us in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet - August 27, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015