Want natural hair color? Learn out how to apply Henna at home!
You may have admired others sporting some gorgeous hair colour, but when it comes to colouring your own hair, there are a host of doubts that stop you each time you want to colour your hair. If you are concerned about hair colours damaging your hair, you are not alone. Hair colours, no matter what they claim, are infused with harmful chemicals that end up doing permanent damage to your hair. Whether it’s your natural hair colour, the texture, look or health, your hair suffers irreparable damage and there’s nothing you can do about it later.
But just because hair colours are filled with chemicals does not mean you have no other choice left to get some colour in your hair. One of the most natural and safe way to colour your hair is by using henna. Not only do you avoid putting harsh and harmful chemicals in your hair, you also save a lot of time and money, as you can very easily apply henna at home.
If you are ready, here’s how you can easily apply henna at home:
Things you will need before applying henna:
- Henna (you can choose the colour and type of your choice)
- Lukewarm water
- A mixing bowl
- A spoon
- Some petroleum jelly
- Some olive oil
- An old towel
- A brush to apply henna
- Gloves (you can use either plastic or rubber gloves for this)
- A shower cap
Things you need to do before applying henna:
- Once you decide to apply henna on the hair, make sure you do not wash your hair for a minimum of 12 hours before the application.
- Once you are ready to colour your hair, simply moisten your hair a bit
- Remove any excess water that may remain in the hair
- Now take some olive oil and massage a few drops of this oil on to your hair
- In the mixing bowl, mix the henna with the lukewarm water
- Use a spoon to stir the powder and make a paste
- Make sure no lumps are formed, keep stirring constantly as you mix the henna powder and the lukewarm water
- Alternatively, you can also choose to mix the henna as per the instructions provided on the pack
- To prevent the color from transferring to your forehead, rub a thin layer of petroleum jelly in between.
- Wear your hand gloves.
- Apply henna taking a small portion of your hair. Wind it in one direction (say clockwise)
- Take another portion of hair and then wind it anti clockwise and apply the henna.
- Remember to wind the portions alternately – firstly one portion in one direction and then the other portion in the other. Do not miss the roots of the hair.
- Keep doing this and pile it up on the top of your head. This will help your hair stay in place without any clips or pins
- Wear your shower cap to prevent the henna from falling off
- Keep the Henna for 1 hour if you want a lighter shade and for a darker shade keep henna on your hair for up to 3 hours.
- This will nicely condition and color your hair.
- After the required time, wash off the Henna using warm water.
- Do NOT use shampoo for at least 24 hours after washing off the Henna
What you’ll have is a gorgeous natural hair colour that won’t leave your hair damaged, but will instead provide it a healthy shine and softness. If you haven’t tried out henna yet, maybe now you will. Do tell us if you liked the results and what colours you used.