Do you want to lose weight? Has your current diet plan failed to work? Want to get rid of that bit of flab that just doesn’t want to go away? If you answered yes to at least one of these questions, I have a great diet plan for you. It is known as the Warrior Diet plan, and was designed by Ori Hofmekler in 2001. Unlike the conventional diet plans, the warrior diet plan requires you to under eat during the day and have a feast at night. It is based on the principle that in ancient times the warriors would exercise on an empty stomach and eat very less during the day and eat their kill at night. This eating and exercising routine kept the warriors well-toned and fit. True, it will take some time to adjust to this new eating habit, but this diet plan really works. And in this article, I will show you how to make this diet plan work for you. So, let’s start right away!
Why Should You Choose The Warrior Diet
Many women complain about not losing weight even after following a nutritionally balanced diet plan. And that’s because everybody responds differently to different diet and exercise plans. The Warrior diet plan works by giving your body the time to burn the calories by using the concept of intermittent fasting. This diet lets you deplete energy levels in the day. Hofmekler says nutritional stress is more vital than exercise. When you combine both and eat the right food, it leads to weight loss and fitness. Also, during the fasting phase, you need to keep yourself active and hydrated to prevent fat accumulation and aid fat mobilization. In fact, the warrior diet was created by keeping the ancient warriors in mind. Warriors would eat very little in the morning, exercise on an empty stomach, and have a feast at night. This balance of fasting and exercising kept them active and fit, and they did not have an inch of extra body fat.
[ Read: Military Diet ]
Warrior Diet Guidelines
Keep Yourself Hydrated
The first and most important guideline is to drink more than just 8 glasses of water per day. You can have 9-10 glasses of water during your fasting phase. Make sure to drink filtered water. You can also fortify your water with nutrients by adding cucumber, mint, lemon, cinnamon etc. Drinking water will help you feel full and also keep your body functions running.
Eat Protein-Rich Foods
In the warrior diet, you are allowed to eat a substantial protein-rich dinner. This helps to reduce the carb intake and helps to rebuild the worn out muscles. You can also have protein powder with milk to give your body an extra dose of protein.
Eat One Main Meal
Unlike the conventional diet plans, the warrior diet requires the dieters to eat one main meal, which is dinner. For breakfast and lunch, the dieters are allowed to have low-calorie foods such as eggs, yogurt, legumes, veggies, and fruits.
Learn To Control Hunger
We all know that eating every 3-4 hours will help in weight loss. But warrior diet doesn’t advocate that. Like the warriors in the middle of a battle or hunt, you should train your brain to endure hunger. When you do this for a few days your body will eventually learn to stay away from food during the fasting phase.
Avoid Processed Foods
Any kind of processed food is not allowed when you are on the Warrior diet. Processed foods contain higher amounts of sugar, salt, artificial flavors, colors, food preservatives, and taste enhancers. These are very harmful to your health. You should buy natural produce from a local grocery store. If you are eating out or ordering from a restaurant, avoid fried chicken, sausages, burgers, pizza, fries, and even ketchup.
Exercise To Get Quick Results
Warriors spent a lot of time either fighting or hunting, which helped them expend a lot of energy. So, if you are on the Warrior diet, you should exercise regularly to expend the energy and get back in shape. You can do a mix of cardio, strength training, weights, and yoga to keep the workout routine fun and engaging.
So, now that you have the guidelines, let’s take a look at the warrior diet meal plan.
Warrior Diet Plan
|Meals||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:00- 7:45 a.m)||Warm water with 1 tablespoon honey and juice of ½ a lime|
|Breakfast (8:30 – 9:00 a.m)||Options:|
|Lunch (12:30 – 1:00 p.m)||Options|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Options|
Why This Works
You are technically allowed to eat three times a day in this diet plan. Starting your day with a glass of warm water, lime juice, and honey is a great way to flush the toxins out, improve bowel movement, and boost immunity. Breakfast will typically contain a good source of protein, healthy fat, and dietary fiber. Lunch should be a bare minimum, but nutritious. Fruits and veggies contain a good amount of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and complex carbs. Yogurt is rich in good gut bacteria that aid digestion. For dinner, have a good portion of protein, complex carbs, and dessert to reward yourself and to keep your taste buds alive.
Here is a food substitute list if you are allergic to any foods listed in the diet chart or are a picky eater.
Warrior Diet Food Substitutes
- Honey – ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon powder
- Lime juice – Apple cider vinegar
- Egg – ¼th cup sprouts
- Almonds – Macadamia nuts
- Grapefruit juice – Garcinia cambogia powder
- Chia seeds – Flax seeds
- Green tea – Oolong tea
- Yogurt – Fruit or vegetable juice
- Cucumber – Carrot
- Chinese cabbage – Lettuce
- Bell pepper – Red cabbage or tomato
- Chicken – Salmon/tuna/tofu/mushroom
- Potato – Squash or sweet potato
- Dark chocolate – Medium piece of ripe mango
- Milk – Soy milk/almond milk
- Pita bread – Wheat flat bread
- Kidney bean – Garbanzo bean/peas
- Buttermilk – Grape and ginger juice
- Pasta – Brown rice
- Tiramisu – Brownie
- Broccoli – Cauliflower
- Carrot – Tomato
- Custard – 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
As mentioned before, apart from allowing yourself to take a long break between meals, you should also workout to actually make this diet work. So, here is a workout plan for you.
Warrior Diet Exercise Plan
Here, you will find a list of exercises that you can choose from. Make sure to warm up before starting and stretch when you finish exercising. You need to get at least 1 hour of exercise for 6 days a week. Start by getting 3 hours a week of exercise and gradually increase it to 6 hours. Do what you like the most, there is no hard and fast rule. If you like to play sport, then go ahead. If not, opt for this routine:
- Neck tilt (right and left) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Neck rotations (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Shoulder rotations (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Arm rotations (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Wrist rotations (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Waist rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Ankle rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Standing side crunches (right and left) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Side lunges (right and left) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Bend over to touch your toes – 1 set of 10 reps
- Jumping jacks – 1 set of 10 reps
- Burpees – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Jumping squat – 1 set of 10 reps
- Forward lunges (with 1 kg weight) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Jumping forward lunges – 1 set of 10 reps
- Bicycle crunches – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Crunches – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Forward plank – 2 sets of 20 second hold
- Side plank – 2 sets of 20 second hold
- Scissor kicks – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Outward kicks – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Push ups – 1 set of 10 reps
- Tricep dips – 2 sets of 5 reps
- Bicep curls (1 kg weight) – 2 sets of 5 reps
- Dance/swim/play a sport/bicycle/walk/run – 30-45 minutes
- Yoga/meditation – 30 – 45 minutes
Now, the question is, how long should you follow this diet to get results? Here is your answer.
How Long Should You Follow The Warrior Diet?
You should follow the Warrior diet for a month to get good results. By the time you complete a month of being on this diet, intermittent fasting will become a habit.
How You Will Feel After Following The Warrior Diet
Initially, it would be tough to control your hunger and stick to the diet plan. But, by the end of the third day, you will lose a lot of water weight, which will instantly make you look slimmer. You will feel less bloated and more active. Regular exercise will also help to mobilize the fat and build lean muscle mass. Therefore, your body fat percentage will go down. Mind it, when you build muscle and lose fat, your weight may not go down drastically but your body fat percentage will. And, that’s what you should aim for. Don’t worry, you will not look muscular like men, you would look slim and toned. This means that you will not have the aftermaths of quick weight loss such as flappy arms, loose skin, and loss of lean muscle mass. You will look and feel great and would want to continue being on this diet.
The Warrior plan seems to do everything right. But are there any risks involved? Let’s find out.
While the theory of undereating followed by a phase of indulging in foods may work, it may not be suitable for every individual. People with certain physical conditions may develop health complications after intermittent fasting. Women who are pregnant or lactating may develop various health problems, and they should seek medical advice before following it. Owing to lifestyle and job needs, adhering to the diet may not be possible for many people.
That said, the Warrior diet is definitely a diet that has worked for many people. It is a valid and fitter option as compared to other quick weight loss diets. You will lose weight quickly, but without harming your health in this diet plan. So, try this new diet plan today and get the killer looks you always wanted to! Take care.
- 30 Day Shred Diet – A Complete Guide
- A to Z Of Diverticulitis Diet
- One Meal A Day Diet – The Ultimate Guide
- Stillman Diet: The What, The How And The Why
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Mediterranean Diet With Menu Plan For Better Health - August 4, 2017
- DASH Diet For Healthy Weight Loss And High Blood Pressure - July 31, 2017
- Low Glycemic Index Diet – Diet Plan, How It Works, And Benefits - July 20, 2017
- Paleo Diet For Weight Loss - July 18, 2017
- Avocado Diet For Weight Loss - July 13, 2017