When was the last time you got on the weighing scales to check your weight, heart pounding in anticipation? We are living in a constantly changing and evolving society. The technological changes have made us dependent on electronic gadgets and electrical equipment. So much so, that we hardly realize that these comforts of modern life have made us lethargic. All these factors have led to a drastic change in our way of living. These technological innovations, combined with sedentary lifestyle, have led to radical consequences for our health.
The biggest challenge faced today by a majority of the population is obesity.
Obesity And Its Consequences
While a sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits are the main factors that cause obesity, we cannot overlook contributing factors like genes, and other health conditions. Obesity in itself leads to a number of problems that can have life-threatening consequences for an individual. No matter the cause, the problem remains the same. In fact, as a society, we are unhealthier than ever before. But thankfully, there are numerous ways to lose that extra weight. One of the latest trends to lose weight in a proper manner is water aerobics.
One has to ensure that one does water aerobics regularly. It is important to mention here that while weight gain happens in a snap, losing this weight requires dedication, strong will, and focus on healthy living and exercise each day.
What Is Water Aerobics And How Is It Done?
As the name implies, water aerobics refers to doing regular aerobic exercise in shallow waters, usually waist deep. The aim is to increase the amount of resistance one feels when exercising and increase endurance, burn more fat, and lose that extra weight. One must start to practice under a trained instructor and later, when fully comfortable, start doing it on their own.
Water aerobics is not only aerobics, but also includes regular sessions in regular swimming pools, depending on individual needs. Elements like Zumba, yoga, and jogging to music beats can also be incorporated. Swimmers and other athletes focus on these trainings to improve their performance on field and track as it is a great way for resistance training.
[ Read: Aerobic Exercises To Reduce Belly Fat ]
The Many Benefits Of Water Aerobics
There are many inherent and long-term advantages of water aerobics exercises for people of all age groups and even for people with health issues. Some of these benefits are listed below –
- Increase in endurance with a focus on resistance training.
- Loss of extra weight, muscle buildup, and strengthening of bones, muscles, and joints.
- Built-in safety for muscles when training in water, making it safer for joints and muscles.
- Avoid overheating of body that could otherwise cause burnout.
- Water exercise can also be done by pregnant women, elderly, or by people with arthritis, back problems or leg and foot injuries.
- Regular water exercise helps lean body mass increase in a proper and proportionate manner.
While water aerobics is a highly effective, efficient and healthy way to lose weight, it also demands that a person is focused and dedicated. It is also imperative that the person keeps a strict watch on one’s food intake as weight loss and exercise go hand in hand. The many changes that the body experiences with a new workout regime will give way to a little pain and one will also notice changes in body movements.
The pain and sudden changes can make one shy away from training any further. But the success of the exercise and the results lie in being regular and focused each day with strong will and determination.
[ Read: Aerobics Videos For Weight Loss ]
Our Picks In Water Aerobics Exercises
Climb the walls of the swimming pool like your favorite superhero, Spiderman. While this may sound difficult, it is rather simple. It will help you defy gravity and tone your core and back muscles like no other exercise. You will need to practice this exercise a few times to get it right.
- Stand to the side of the pool and use your hands to stabilize your upper body.
- Moving your hands back and forth to maintain balance in the water, and then begin your ascent on the walls.
- Alternate each leading leg to reap the maximum benefits of this exercise.
2. Chaos Cardio
Unlike other exercises in the water and its name itself, this is a relatively simple workout that even a child can master.
- Create ripple and currents in the water and then run through it to strengthen your core muscles.
- Run in a zig-zag fashion in the water and then through the currents you have created.
- In waist-high water, swing your arms and walk across the pool.
- Tighten your abdominal muscles. Keep your back straight and avoid walking on tiptoes.
- To increase resistance, wear hand webs or other resistance devices.
4. Arm Exercises
- Using weights in water can help strengthen your biceps and triceps.
- Stand in waist-high water hold a dumbbell, with your arms down and elbows close to your body.
- Raise your forearms to the level of the water, keep your elbows close to your body and your wrists straight.
- Push down until your arms are straight again.
- Repeat the process 12-15 times.
[ Read: Best Aerobics Videos For Weight Loss ]
5. Resistance Training
- Holding a kickboard, stand up straight in the pool.
- Spread your legs apart and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Extend your right arm and hold the smaller end of the kickboard with your right hand and the wide end with your left hand.
- Keep your left elbow close to your body and move the board towards the center of your body.
- Return to the starting position and repeat 12-15 times. Switch sides and reverse the action.
6. Leg Workout
- Tie a water noodle around your foot.
- Rest your back on the wall of the pool and place your arms on the edge of the pool for stability.
- Straighten your leg in front of you and flex your knee to a 90-degree position.
Return to the starting position and repeat 12-15 times. Switch legs and repeat the exercise.
7. Water Marching
- Stand up straight and take long strides.
- Stretch your limbs to the optimum, point your toes and swing your arms back and forth.
- Continue marching along the length of the pool until you suffer from fatigue.
[ Read: Water Aerobics and Benefits ]
8. Jumping Jacks
- Place your feet flat on the floor of the pool and keep your arms by your side.
- Now jump and kick your legs sidewards. Also, swing your arms up and down.
- Keep your knees and feet together, and make sure your arms are at your side at the end of one cycle.
- Repeat the exercise ten times.
9. Water Cycling
- Rest your elbows on the top edge of the pool.
- Move your legs forward and backward to replicate the cycling motion.
- Perform for 5-10 minutes.
- Keeping your back straight and arms at your hips, bend your right leg so that it forms a 90-degree angle.
- Make sure you can see your toe while bending the knee.
- Extend your left leg backward, so that it forms a straight line.
- Perform ten lunges and then switch legs.
[ Read: Aerobic Exercise Videos ]
- Mimic the cross country skiing action.
- While one leg moves to the back, the other moves to the front along with opposite arms.
- Repeat it 15 times.
That sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Want to lose weight without a sweat? Then it is time to hop into the pool and shake a leg. Tag along your partner or friend to make this all the more fun and effective.
Water aerobics is certainly one of the best ways to lose weight without feeling deprived or fatigued. Enroll for water aerobics today! You will be thanking us for suggesting it!
[ Read: How To Lose Weight With Aerobics? ]
Do you know of any other aqua aerobic exercises? Share with us by commenting in the box below!
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015
- 15 Best Selling Brands Of Rose Perfumes, Fragrances And Scents - August 19, 2015