You would have come across health experts saying that yoga is beneficial to health. And you would have also come across health experts recommending regular walking. But yoga or walking which one is better? Tricky question, isn’t it? This post helps you find the right answer! Sit back and read on!
Yoga Vs Walking: What Is Better?
Yoga and walking are two smart ways of weight management and diabetes control. Still yoga holds an upper hand over walking, if the two are statistically compared. According to prevalent data, walking for 1 hour burns around 242 calories. One hour of power yoga on the other hand burns 340 calories. Undoubtedly, yoga is a better option than walking when it comes to weight management and diabetes control. If you are still skeptical about which of the two is better, then you must read the following.
- Scientific data reveals that yoga is a better mood elevator than walking. GABA level in the brain controls the production and secretion of serotonin (the happy hormone) in humans. Decrease in serotonin is a major reason behind depression, mood disorders and even anxiety. According to a recent research, yoga makes the brain calm. This increases GABA levels in the brain. Increased GABA levels trigger the secretion of serotonin. A similar kind of elevation happens in walking too. But yoga offers higher mood elevation (n=19) than walking (n=15).
- Yoga offers complete physical and mental fitness. Walking is a physical exercise that also offers physical and mental benefits. Yoga stretches one step ahead of walking by offering spiritual fitness as well. Yogasanas are exceptional spiritual means to boost the feeling of well being. It reduces anger and anxiety. Spiritual yoga also improves breathing. It gives a better control over the five senses (touch, smell, feel, hear and see).
- Yoga increases mental alertness. It reduces the flow of random and other nagging thoughts in mind. This increases positivity and reduces negativity. It becomes easier to concentrate on the many different things in our day to day lives. Yoga is an amalgamation of exercise and meditation. It is a spiritual means to make the mind positive while balancing the body in different postures. This makes the brain stronger and sharper.
- Many people believe that early morning walk is an amazing method of reducing the blood sugar level. It is true in every aspect. Walking does metabolize blood sugar level and bring it down. But yoga is a better sugar metabolizer amongst the two. Special yoga postures are exclusively innovated to ail diabetic patients. Different yogasanas like Mandukasana and Yogamudrasana are exceptionally beneficial in controlling the blood sugar level. Special yoga postures trigger insulin production. Brain directs the pancreas to trigger the secretion of insulin. Insulin is a natural hormone that regulates and metabolizes sugar in the blood.
- Walking or yoga which is better stress manager. Walking elevates the mood. But yoga elevates the mood, increases mental concentration and also promotes the feeling of well being. Yoga is an exceptional means of relaxing stressed muscles, tissues and even brain. It promotes sleep and treats sleeping disorders. This promotes the overall well being of an individual.
- Yoga is also a beauty mantra that makes the skin glowing and vibrant. Yogasanas restore the normal chemical balance in the brain. This increases the supply of oxygen in the blood. Oxygen-rich blood makes cells and tissues lively. The collagen fibers in the epidermis gain strength. This makes the skin impeccable and radiant.
Now you would have got a clear picture about which of the two is a better option – yoga or walking. Though walking does help a lot in boosting the physical as well as mental health, yoga has an upper hand in this regard. This doesn’t mean walking is discouraged. You can rather combine the two for the best results! But if you have to make a choice in between the two, then go for yoga! Are you already a big fan of yoga like most other health conscious people? Do you now agree that yoga any day is a better option than walking? Share your feedback with us in the comments section.
- Top 27 Best Yoga Asanas For Losing Weight Quickly And Easily
- 25 Basic Yoga Asanas For Beginners
- 5 Hot Yoga Poses For Rapid Weight Loss
- 10 Effective Power Yoga Workouts To Reduce Weight Fast
- 9 Yoga Poses To Stay Fit
Latest posts by preeti bhatt (see all)
- 10 Best Hair Removal Soaps To Try Out Today - January 29, 2015
- 31 Simple Ways To Get Rid Of White Hair At A Young Age - January 19, 2015
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Oxygen Facial To Get Glowing Skin - January 17, 2015
- 10 Best Eyebrow Trimmers Available In India - January 7, 2015
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Ab Doer Twist Exercises - December 31, 2014