You may be working out every day, but if you end up feeling continually tired, irritable, depressed, lethargic and restless, your diet could be the real culprit.
In today’s hectic lifestyle, most of us do not eat right or consume a balanced meal. Unhealthy snacking, junk food, excessive beverage intake and lack of exercise works terribly on the body and triggers depression, anger, frustration and various heart problems.
One of the best ways to improve your health is to chalk out a good exercise regimen, ensure adequate water intake, have a balanced diet and consume detoxifying foods. A detox diet helps to increase energy levels, eliminates toxins from your body, strengthens your immune system, cleanses your skin and leaves you feeling healthier and energetic.
Listed below are 25 wonder foods to boost your metabolism and give you a natural high for a great day, every day!
Wonder Foods that Increase Metabolism
- An unconventional item, seaweed adds an interesting mix to your plate.
- Add a dash of seaweed to your smoothie, milkshake or juice to cleanse your body of toxic metals like cadmium, lead and strontium.
- Seaweed contains a generous amount of iodine, a natural metabolism-booster.
- You can do a great job of caring for your body with beets. It is a brightly colored root vegetable that looks great on your plate as well.
- A good source of betacyanin, beets are believed to have cancer-fighting properties.
- The vegetable is also a good source of vital minerals like iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium that help the body flush out the toxins.
- Beets are a rich source of vitamins B3, B6 and C, in addition to beta-carotene.
- These nutrients are good for the liver and gallbladder, promoting the production of bile acids used for detoxification.
- Ginger improves body metabolism and flushes out the toxins.
- It contains gingerols and shogaols that promote better digestion and detoxification by speeding up the movement of food in the intestines.
- Ginger is also an anti-inflammatory agent that cures nausea and eases throat ache.
- Ginger lemon tea is both tasty and excellent for treating sore throats.
- Broccoli is an excellent detoxifying agent. It is a vital member of the Crucifer family.
- Broccoli, like other crucifers, releases compounds that counter the effects of excess estrogens accumulating in the body.
- Excess estrogen leads to weight gain, pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS) and possibly cancer.
- Broccoli falls among the healthiest foods to consume while on a diet, detoxifying the body or as a daily snack for a fitter lifestyle.
- Onions are excellent for the liver.
- These are a rich source of sulphur based amino acids
- Raw onions supply the body with glutathione, a fast acting detox agent.
- Onions also contain a natural anti-clotting agent that lowers cholesterol and blood pressure of the body.
- Most individuals eat onions raw, in salads or as core ingredients in dishes.
- Since onions are a common ingredient in our daily cooking, many people already benefit from the vegetable.
- Those who don’t might want to start eating onions, for its sharp taste and numerous health benefits.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Onions ]
- Everyone’s favorite tropical fruit Pineapple is also great for detox.
- The tangy fruit contains bromelain in good measure, a digestive enzyme that helps to cleanse the colon and improve the digestion process.
- Bromelain aids in digesting protein, reducing inflammation in the body and assists in the breaking down and assimilation of fats.
- Pineapple contains manganese which works brilliantly to soothe one’s nerves when experiencing the symptoms of PMS.
- You can sip cold pineapple juice or eat the fruit raw, add as a garnishing to a sweet dish or as an ingredient in salads.
[ Read: Benefits Of Pineapple Juice ]
- Cabbage is a good source of sulphur, essential for breaking down of compound chemicals into individual elements.
- Sulphur is an excellent cleansing agent and helps the body get rid of pesticides and other toxins.
- Cabbage is largely composed of water and acts as a natural diuretic that expels excess fluids from the body.
- It is also a good source of glucosinolates, organic compounds, which help cleanse the body of toxins.
- It is also a good source of essential vitamins, like A, C, K, E and folate.
- Cabbage is among the best detox foods to have on your plate.
- Apple is one among the most effective detox foods to increase metabolism.
- Apples are rich in nutrients and they contain pectin, a soluble fibre that cleanses the body of food additives and metals.
- Apples also contain potassium, useful for restoring fluid and electrolyte balance in the body.
9. Mung Beans:
- Mung beans are extremely good for health and are great for any weight loss regimen.
- Packed with proteins and other nutrients, mung beans eaten raw or cooked are great for your body.
- The beans are also a great detoxifying agent, cleansing the body of toxins that accumulate as a result of a high fat and high glucose diet.
- Wheatgrass lowers blood sugar, thus boosting metabolism.
- It is alkaline in nature and maintains the pH balance of the blood.
- It is a quick acting, effective and gentle detoxifying food
- Wheatgrass can be used in a variety of recipes for delicious meals while giving you a host of health benefits.
[ Read: Benefits Of Wheatgrass Juice ]
- Cinnamon contains good quantities of manganese that not only helps to manage symptoms of PMS but is also an effective detox agent.
- It helps the body process fatty acids and maintains blood sugar levels.
- In addition to manganese, cinnamon also contains calcium that purifies the blood of toxins.
- Asparagus is a natural diuretic that flushes out the toxins from the body.
- Like cabbage, this delicious vegetable maintains balance of fluids and electrolytes in the body.
- Asparagus is both rare and delicious in addition to its health benefits.
- Avocados are a rich source of monounsaturated fats that prevent the absorption of unhealthy fats, thus preventing obesity and heart problems.
- Avocados also lower cholesterol and dilate blood vessels.
- The fruit contains a nutrient called glutathione that helps the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals and flushes out about 30 types of carcinogens from the body.
- Oils from avocados are used in shampoos and conditioners to boost volume and protect the hair shaft.
[ Read: Benefits Of Avocado for Health ]
- Turmeric contains iron, manganese and fiber, and is very good for digestion.
- Due to the high concentration of curcumin, turmeric is a natural antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detox agent.
- Turmeric helps in the prevention of arthritis, heart diseases and is also believed to fight cancer.
- Besides being a fantastic detoxifying agent, turmeric also prevents hardening of the arteries by reducing cholesterol build-up in cells
- It prevents inflammation by reducing the production of certain enzymes that cause it.
- Turmeric works in a way that is similar to a class of drugs called COX-2 inhibitors, used to relieve the pain and swelling in case of arthritis.
- Turmeric has long been used as an everyday spice in India to add flavor to meals.
- It is also used as a detoxifying agent, to ward off cold and cough, and as an active ingredient in a natural beauty pack to make the skin glow.
- Radishes are natural detoxifying agents that increase the flow of bile in the body to maintain a healthy gallbladder and liver.
- It also improves the digestive process thus ridding the body of all toxins.
- The sharp taste and health benefits of radish compensate well for the off-putting odor it gives when cooked.
- The seeds of the cilantro plant aid in digestion and maintain cholesterol levels of the body.
- Its leaves aid in the detoxification by ridding the body of certain heavy metals like lead and mercury.
- The leaves are also used for dressing salads.
- Cilantro can be used in shakes and entree as garnish.
- Pomegranates are one of the best metabolism boosting foods.
- This fruit is rich in anthocyanins, an antioxidant, guarding the body against inflammation, diabetes and heart diseases.
- It is very tasty and can be eaten raw, sprinkled on top of cereals, used as an ingredient in certain dishes or drunk as juice.
- According to a few studies, the fruit also helps to slow down the ageing process thus preventing wrinkles from appearing on the skin.
- Pomegranate is purported to control the damage caused due to weakening of collagen in the skin.
[ Read: Benefits Of Pomegranates for Health ]
- Flaxseeds are known for their health benefits and detoxifying properties.
- The seeds are packed with nutrients that facilitate internal cleansing.
- Flaxseeds are fiber-rich, containing both soluble and insoluble fibers that facilitate healthy bowel movement.
- The seeds also prevent re-absorption of cholesterol from the colon.
- Lemons, besides being a rich source of vitamin C are also detoxifying agents.
- The fruit stimulates enzyme release in the body for better digestion.
- It helps in the detoxification process by converting toxins into a water soluble form that can easily be excreted from the system.
- A glass of lemon juice in the morning helps to purify the blood and balance the pH level of the colon due to its anti-bacterial properties.
- Vitamin C content in the fruit boosts the immunity of the body.
- Lemons can be consumed in different forms.
- From juice to salad dressing and from marinades to smoothies and seasoning, this is a versatile fruit that adds great taste and has many health benefits.
- Blueberries, besides being delicious fruits to use as ingredients or garnishing in recipes, are also packed with antioxidants.
- Blueberries are rich source of anthocyanidins, ellagic acid and resveratrol.
- Ellagic acid is known to block metabolic pathways that could lead to cancer.
- These fruits also act like natural aspirins that prevent tissue-damage in those affected by chronic inflammation and lessen pain.
- The fruit acts like an antibiotic by blocking harmful bacteria in the urinary tract preventing infection.
- Blueberries have antiviral properties and detoxify the system.
- They are a rich source of phytonutrients called proanthocyanidins that aid in the detoxifying process.
- Garlic is one of the most potent naturally occurring detoxifying agents.
- It is a powerful anti-viral, antibiotic and antiseptic agent.
- Garlic in a dish or eaten raw protects your body against common colds and other bacteria.
- It also rids the system of pathogenic microbes and prevents endogenous (made by your body) toxins from being produced.
- Garlic contains generous quantities of sulphur, a vital detoxifying agent.
22. Goji Berries:
- Goji berries are a rich source of nutrients, vitamin C and beta-carotene that work like detoxifying agents in the body.
- Vitamin C aids in a smooth digestive and excretory process.
- Beta-carotene improves liver performance.
- Kale contains powerful anti-cancer nutrients and antioxidants that cleanse the system of toxins and harmful chemicals.
- It is a rich source of fiber that also helps to clean the intestinal tract.
- Kale neutralizes compounds found in cigarette smoke and stimulates the liver to produce cleansing enzymes that detoxifies the body.
24. Brown Rice:
- Switch to brown rice for a healthier lifestyle.
- Brown rice contains vitamin B, magnesium, phosphorous and manganese in addition to other detoxifying nutrients that aid in cleansing the body.
- Brown rice is also a good source of fiber that cleanses the colon.
- It is rich in selenium that helps to protect the liver and in improving one’s complexion.
- It is one of the best foods that increase metabolism.
- Grapefruit is rich in fiber and nutrients.
- The fruit also aids in weight loss programs as it aids in the assimilation of fat by the liver.
- A good food for detox, grapefruit can be consumed directly as juice, garnishing or an ingredient in salads.
These 25 detoxifying foods should help you get kick-started on a healthy diet and improve your lifestyle for a fit and healthy body. Most of these foods can be eaten raw or as an ingredient to rustle up delicious dishes. You can pick from a variety of detoxifying agents for an interesting, colorful, wholesome and balanced platter every day.
Include at least some of these metabolism boosting foods in your daily diet to reap their amazing health benefits. Do let us know which ones you tried out!
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda? - July 20, 2017
- 10 Amazing Health And Beauty Benefits Of Yarrow Essential Oil - September 7, 2015
- 8 Marvelous Benefits Of Cottage Cheese - September 1, 2015
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- This Is Why You Should Try The Magnificent Monoi Oil - August 20, 2015