Yoga can help in reducing aches in various parts of the body and also, in increasing flexibility. Yoga benefits for seniors are many. It is helpful in controlling problems like indigestion, bloating, low immunity, back ache which are fairly common in seniors. Below is a compilation of some easy yoga poses for seniors.
One should always practice this yoga under a well-trained instructor. Now, let’s have a look at what basically these asanas are all about.
Yoga Poses for Seniors
Kapalabhati is a breathing technique used specifically for cleansing of air pipes. It helps in clearing out mucus and congestion from respiratory channels. It helps in improving muscle mass, and reduces weight. This is basically vigorous abdominal breathing. The inhalation is normal and exhalation is forceful. With each exhalation, the abdominal muscles have to be contracted.
[ Read: Yoga poses ]
This is an easy yoga for seniors that involves sitting straight. When performed regularly, it helps in straightening the spine. It is commonly practiced during meditation to gain calmness. Here, one has to sit on a folded towel around 6 inches high placed at the back of buttocks. With legs crossed, slip each foot beneath the opposite knee as you bend your knees. Then fold the legs in towards your body. Sit with straight back and hands on knees.
3. Savasana or Corpse Pose:
This is practiced before, in between and after other asana.
- Lie down straight and try to keep your mind still.
- Lie flat on the back.
- Spread your arms and rest them along the sides of the body, palms facing upwards.
- Extend your legs. Relax the entire body.
- You may make slight adjustments in this pose to feel more at ease.
- Now close your eyes and focus on a spot between your eyebrows and try to still your mind.
- You may stay in this pose for 5 to 15 minutes.
4. Viprita Karini Asana:
The English translation would be ‘wind relieving pose’. This asana of yoga for senior citizens relieves stress from the digestive system. It helps you to get rid of bloating and flatulence in stomach. One may also experience improved blood circulation.
Bidalasana refers to a ‘cat like’ position. This asana helps the senior people to strengthen their abdominal and back muscles. It also helps in improving body balance. This pose is not to be done if you have any chronic or recent back pain or injury.
- Get down on all fours.
- Knees should be spread apart a distance equivalent to hip.
- Hands have to be aligned with your shoulders.
- Keep your back in horizontal position with the head, and neck in line with your spine.
This asana releases stiffness from neck and shoulders and helps in reducing backaches. This pose is not recommended for high blood pressure and heart ailments.
7. Adho mukha shvanasana:
It means to be in a pose ‘like a dog with head facing downwards’. The dog pose improves flexibility of your spine, stretches the muscles of back. Again, this yoga asana should not be performed if you have serious back pain or injury.
[ Read: Viprita Karini Asana ]
8. Salabhasana or Locust pose:
Locust pose or Shalabasana offers a lot of advantages. It helps in improving digestion and in the strengthening of the lower back muscles. This posture also strengthens the abdominal area, arms and legs. It helps in relieving mild form of slipped disc. This asana is not to be performed by people suffering from hernia, peptic ulcer, and intestinal tuberculosis.
[ Read: Locust pose or Shalabasana ]
9. Cobra pose or Bhujangasana:
This asana helps in strengthening the chest, upper back and the shoulder muscles. This posture will help in improving blood circulation and relieving respiratory disorders.
10. Butterfly pose or Badhakonasana:This asana will help you improve flexibility in the hip, groin and the bowel region. This asana plays an important role in preventing and relieving fatigue as well.
[ Read: What is Art Of Living Yoga ]
Latest posts by Jayshree Bhagat (see all)
- Top 15 Most Beautiful Cherry Blossom Flowers - May 13, 2014
- 23 Effective Exercises For Toned Buttocks - April 25, 2014
- Best Aerobics Shoes For Women – Our Top 10 - April 11, 2014
- 14 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Soy Protein - March 26, 2014
- Top 10 Clinics/Centers That Provide Laser Treatment For Acne Scars - March 24, 2014