Erroneous lifestyle, indulgence in junk, lack of exercises, and above all unpredictably high stress levels –all these give rise to a flabby tummy. The wider your abdomen, the higher the level of risk is. And, there are no shortcuts to get rid of the abdominal fat. Proper diet combined with a good fitness routine can definitely help you reduce this fat to a greater level. Yoga not only helps in lessening the abdominal fat, but also allows you to control your body and mind like never before thus, thwarting the risks associated with a wider abdomen.
Yoga Asanas To Reduce Belly Fat
Take a short walk through these ten best yoga asanas to reduce belly fat and become smarter.
1. Warm up with Tadasana (Mountain Pose):
Tadasana makes an ideal warm up pose. It improves the circulation of blood, thereby ensuring that your body is ready for the poses in store.
- Stand with your feet flat, heels slightly spread out and big toes in contact with each other. Keep the spine erect, with hands on either side of your body, palms facing your body.
- Stretch your hands to the front and join the palms.
- Inhaling deeply, stretch your spine. Raising your folded hands up above your head, stretch as much as you can.
- Try lifting your ankle and standing on your toes, with eyes facing the ceiling. If you cannot stand on your toes, you can keep your feet flat on the ground while your eyes face the ceiling.
- Breathe normally and hold the pose for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Inhale deeply and while exhaling, slowly relax and bring your feet back to the floor.
Repeat the pose 10 times, increasing the count gradually. Relax for 10 seconds before you attempt the next repetition. The picture given above is a variation for the beginners.
The yoga poses for a flatter tummy:
2. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation):
Surya Namaskar essentially, is a confluence of twelve yoga positions, each of which has a major impact on the entire body. The forward and backward bends allow stretches, while deep breathing performed during the act helps in detoxification. Practice Surya Namaskar daily in the morning facing the sun for reaping the maximum benefits.
The picture given above gives you a comprehensive and vivid view of how one needs to perform this energetic yoga pose.
Start off slowly, with five rounds, increasing the counts gradually over time. Make sure that you keep a bottle of water with you. Take a sip after each repetition and relax for 15 seconds between repetitions so that you are not worn out.
[ Read: Ramdev Yoga for Pregnant Women ]
3. Padahastasana (Standing Forward Bend):
The abdomen gets completely compressed while bending forward that leads to burning of fat. Thus, the compression helps in toning down the tummy. This yoga asana to reduce belly fat can be practiced as follows:
- Stand in Tadasana with your hands on either side of the body while feet rest together, heels touching each other.
- Keep your spine erect.
- Inhaling deeply, lift your hand upwards.
- As you exhale, bend forward in such a way that your body is parallel to the floor.
- Inhale and then exhaling, bend forward completely, body falling away from the hips.
- Try to touch the floor, with palms straight on the floor, without bending your knees. Beginners can try touching the toes or just ankles to start with, working your way to the floor.
- Holding your breath, tuck your tummy in, and hold the position for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Exhaling, leave your toes, and lift your body to come back to Tadasana.
Repeat the asana 10 times, leaving an interval of 10 seconds between two repetitions.
4. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend):
This is one of the basic poses of Hatha Yoga and stimulates your solar plexus center. Along with acting as a tummy toning pose, the forward bend also offers an admirable level of stretch to the hamstrings, thighs as well as hips. It is also ideal for those who are prone to digestive disorders.
- Sit on the floor in Sukahasana or Padmasana.
- Keep your spine erect, and stretch your legs out to your front. Your feet should point to the ceiling.
- Inhaling deeply, stretch your hands above your head, without bending your elbows. Your gaze should follow your hands. Stretch your spine to the maximum.
- Exhaling, bend from your thighs forward. Bring your hands down and try to touch your toes. Your head should rest on your knees. Beginners can try touching their ankles or just thighs as a starter.
- Once you touch your toes, hold them and try pulling them backward till you experience the stretch on your hamstrings.
- Breathing in, hold your tummy, and try to retain the position for 60 to 90 seconds initially. Slowly, increase the time of holding the position for 5 minutes or if possible, more.
- Exhaling, bring your body upward, relieving your toes from your fingers to come back to the Sukhasana or Padmasana.
Repeat the asana 10 times to begin with, working up to 25 times or more.
[ Read: Ramdev Yoga for Thyroid ]
Those who are new to the pose can try Ardha Paschimottanasana. The process is the same as outlined above. The only variation is that you have to stretch out only one leg at a time.
Latest posts by Nithya Shrikant (see all)
- 15 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Skin Rashes In Children - April 23, 2015
- 7 Simple Diet Tips For College Going Women - April 10, 2015
- 4 Amazing Yoga Poses To Cure Your Hangover - April 6, 2015
- 5 Yummilicious Chinese Egg Noodles Recipes You Should Try - March 31, 2015