Memory loss can be daunting. To live with it everyday can stoop your confidence levels. The embarassment of forgetting important dates, weak recollection of memorable events and everyday misplacing of things can get depressing. In such situations, you wish for super powers to help you overcome it and here are 10 yoga poses which are just that.
Memory Improving Yoga Poses
- Bakasana (Crane Pose)
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
- Padahastasana (Standing Forward Bend)
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
- Tadasana (Tree Stand Pose)
- Reclining Hero Pose
1. Bakasana (Crane Pose)
Benefits: Bakasana gives a sense of balance, improves concentration and coordination.
Procedure: Sit in a squatting position on the floor. Keep an arm’s distance between both the knees and keep your feet flat on the ground. Take your palms in between your knees and place them firmly on the ground while keeping your knees and elbows at the same level. Now, bend your torso forward, lift your legs up and balance the entire body with your palms. Keep your head straight and look ahead.
To know more about this pose, check Bakasana.
2. Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
Benefits: Padmasana relaxes your mind and reduces muscular tension.
Procedure: Sit on the floor with legs stretched out and spine erect. Bend your right knee and place it on your left thigh. The sole of the right foot should face upward and the heel closer to the abdomen. Repeat the same procedure with the other leg. Now, place your hands on the knees in mudra position. Keep your head straight and breathe gently.
To know more about this pose, check Padmasana.
3. Padahastasana (Standing Forward Bend)
Benefits: Padahastasana invigorates your nervous system and increases blood supply to your brain.
Procedure: Stand straight with your feet together. Lift your arms straight up over your head. Your arms should touch the ears. Bend down at the hips and reach for your feet. Your torso and head should be facing and hugging the thighs and your hands placed on either side of your feet.
To learn more about this pose, check Padahastasana.
4. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
Benefits: Sarvangasana cures insomnia, relieves hypertension and soothes headaches.
Procedure: Lie down on your back keeping your legs together. Lift your legs at an angle of 90 degrees. Press your arms against the floor, bend your elbows, hold your waist by your hands and lift them up taking the legs higher making a straight line. Keep your shoulder blades straight.
To know more about this pose, check Sarvangasana.
5. Halasana (Plow Pose)
Benefits: Halasana calms your nervous system, reduces stress and fatigue.
Procedure: Lie down on your back and keep your arms on either side of your body with palms facing down. Lift your legs at a 90-degree angle. Then supporting your hips with your hands, lift them off the ground. Take your feet over your head at an 180-degree angle, making your toes touch the floor. Try to keep your back perpendicular to the floor. Bring back your hands to their initial position.
To know more about this pose, check Halasana.
6. Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend)
Benefits: Paschimottanasana cures headaches and increases concentration.
Procedure: Sit down with your legs stretched out forward. Raise your hands straight up, with your arms touching the ears. Bend forward at the hips with your abdomen and chest hugging the thighs and your head on the knees. Your fingers should touch your toes, and you can keep your arms a little bent at the elbows.
To know more about this pose, check Paschimottanasana.
7. Tadasana (Tree Stand Pose)
Procedure: Stand on the floor in straight position.Stretch your hands up in the air and bring them down.Fold your left leg from the knee and place it on the inner side of your right thigh.Look straight. Join your palms together in prayer position and place them in front of your chest.Close your eyes and relax.
Benefits: This is the best asana to relax your mind, body and soul.
Procedure: Sit on the floor with your legs spread straight in front of you.Bend your left knee and fold it in such a way that the sole of your left foot is placed on the inner side of your right thigh.
Bend your right knee in such a way that the sole of your right foot is placed on the outer side of your left calf muscle.Place your hands on your knees. Do not stretch your body.Keep back straight, close your eyes and relax.
Procedure: Kneel down on the floor.Your knees, big toes and ankles should be parallel to each other and should touch the ground.Place your palms on the knees.Keep your spine straight. Look in the front direction, close your eyes. Relax.
10. Reclining Hero PoseProcedure: Place your body in Vajrasana pose (refer to the pose mentioned above).With a slight jerk, try to bend your body backwards until your head touches the ground.Keep your hands on the floor at a comfortable distance from your body, palms up.Rest your head on either side of the body or just keep it in the centre. Close your eyes.
Do try practicing these tips & techniques at home and see the wonderful difference it leaves behind on your mind, body and soul. Happy Practicing!
- Top 10 Yoga Asanas For Treating Osteoporosis
- 3 Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas To Treat Asthma
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas To Treat Groin Pain
- 4 Best Yoga Poses To Cure Headache
- 10 Yoga Poses To Help You Treat Cold
Latest posts by amruta (see all)
- Top 5 Yoga Asanas For A Healthy Heart - March 24, 2014
- Top 15 Yoga Videos From YouTube - March 5, 2014
- Iyengar Yoga – What Is It And How To Practice It? - February 28, 2014
- Top 5 yoga Asanas To Do In Bed - December 20, 2013
- Art Of Living Yoga – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits? - December 3, 2013